Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times

Advertisements

Coal company announces layoffs in response to Obama win - Nov. 9, 2012

Quote:
A coal company headed by a prominent Mitt Romney donor has laid off more than 160 workers in response to President Obama's election victory.
Murray Energy said Friday that it had been "forced" to make the layoffs in response to the bleak prospects for the coal industry during Obama's second term.
Quote:
Looking ahead, the coal industry faces a rule going into effect in 2015 that tightens the amount of mercury coal plants can emit, as well as regulations on mountain-top mining. Both will make coal production and coal-fired power plants more expensive.
The rules themselves are not Obama's doing, although he has implemented them fairly quickly. Most stem from the Clean Air Act, which was signed by Richard Nixon and strengthened during the first Bush presidency.
Certain Republicans are ignorant or have short term memory. Or maybe both. It is pretty appalling that the CEO has laid off 160 workers in an attempt to prove a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I wonder if this was a good business decision?

I mean the families of those 160 laid off workers will be angry ... not at Pres. Obama, but at their former employer. This can't be a good public relations stunt for the company. Might not customers cancel their orders and buy coal from a competitor?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
The coal industry has had decades to clean up their act. Seriously, if it's a choice between cutting jobs and allowing the industry to continue spewing mercury into the air, I'd rather see the jobs disappear. Mercury pollution is no joke.

Mercury is a deadly neurotoxin. When it gets into the air, it falls in rain and enters the food chain, eventually ending up in fish we eat. Several of the lakes nearby have a consumption advisory on game fish due to mercury contamination. It's even found in significant quantities in large commercially fished species like swordfish and tuna. Think about that next time you make a tuna fish sandwich.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I wonder if this was a good business decision?

I mean the families of those 160 laid off workers will be angry ... not at Pres. Obama, but at their former employer. This can't be a good public relations stunt for the company. Might not customers cancel their orders and buy coal from a competitor?
If The One and his goons at the EPA get their way there won't be any competitors.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
If The One and his goons at the EPA get their way there won't be any competitors.
You mean the duly elected President of the united States Barack Obama and his staff, and incase you dont know what the EPA does it tries to prevent idiots like this coal mine owner from just flushing all his deadly waste into the local rivers.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
Stocks plunge: Dow's worst day of the year - Nov. 7, 2012
The Nasdaq and S&P 500 also both sank more than 2%, clocking their worst drop since early June. Coal and for-profit education stocks led the declines on both indexes.

Layoffs to prove a point? I don't think so.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Power plants are shifting to cheaper cleaner natural gas. Does the coal mine operator think that the govt. should force power plants to buy what they don`t want?

Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
This piece of human excrement has had a good run. Screw him and his kind. These laid off workers should be offered jobs in the green energy sector and blow this guy off the map once and for all. It's hard o believe that these types villians exist outside of James Bond movies.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:42 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
If a power plant is shortening the lives of the people who live nearby of course it should be shut down.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Think of Murray's decision-making timeline here. Had Romney won the election, he would have gotten to appoint a new EPA team, sure. He would have also, most likely, had to contend with a Democratic Senate with no particular fear of the coal industry. (I'm excepting Sen. Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia, who's up in 2014 and is probably already appearing on NRSC/AFP/coal money maps.) There was no need for him to sack these people so quickly. There was no guarantee that he'd be dramatically more profitable in, say, March 2013. But he fired them, because he's basically amoral.

I hope there aren't too many Murrays out there. Most of the CEOs who threatened to fire employees if the center-left party won the election have welshed on that promise. It turned out that all their threats and all their spending couldn't win Virginia, Pennsylvania, or Ohio for the Republicans. This is a position that you dread in politics -- total irrelevance, a future in which one of the political parties can blow you off and stiff your interests. Murray's not handling it well.

Robert Murray is History's Greatest Monster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections