U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 02:33 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,381,524 times

Advertisements

If you're a registered Republican in NY or a registered Democrat in AR going to vote is like throwing your ballot in the garbage, as the outcome of the election in either state is known in advance. I think the old state electoral college system should be turned into a district electoral college one. The electoral votes could be given according to the turnout in each district. For example, FL has 29 electoral votes, in elections like this one Obama could take like 18 and Romney 11 -as the Democrats always win in densely populated, urban areas. Still not fair, but better than the current system, where a candidate with 51 popular votes gets all the electoral ones.

If the change is made, it would encourage participation in the elections and the swing states wouldn't be the only ones that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,267,009 times
I'll go you even one better than that -- Eliminate the electoral college on the national level -- go only on the popular vote, but keep the results sealed until 100% of the reporting is completed. If the popular vote numbers can't be sealed during the voting process, then allow Hawaii, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, and California to vote a day before hand .. and, here's the kicker .. disallow any of the press to report any of it until the count is complete.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,381,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I'll go you even one better than that -- Eliminate the electoral college on the national level -- go only on the popular vote, but keep the results sealed until 100% of the reporting is completed. If the popular vote numbers can't be sealed during the voting process, then allow Hawaii, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, and California to vote a day before hand .. and, here's the kicker .. disallow any of the press to report any of it until the count is complete.
I agree with this too. Frankly, it's pretty unfair that a little % of voters from Ohio or Florida have in their hands the outcome of a Presidential election!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 AM

7,186 posts, read 4,327,901 times
Do you think the senate is a good thing? Why?

If you believe that each state should have equal representation in Congress through the senate, then shut the hell up. You don't understand what you're asking for.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 AM

3,977 posts, read 3,267,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Do you think the senate is a good thing? Why?

If you believe that each state should have equal representation in Congress through the senate, then shut the hell up. You don't understand what you're asking for.
... and if the Electoral College can't be eliminated, then they should at least do the proportional representation deal.

A 50 county state, with a relative population in each, with 45 red counties and 5 blue counties shouldn't go straight blue ...

Old 11-10-2012, 04:39 AM

7,186 posts, read 4,327,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
... and if the Electoral College can't be eliminated, then they should at least do the proportional representation deal.

A 50 county state, with a relative population in each, with 45 red counties and 5 blue counties shouldn't go straight blue ...
Again, do you believe that Wyoming should receive exactly the same representation as California in the senate? Why?

If the senate is a good thing, then leave the electoral college alone.

If you think the senate is unnecessary, and the federal government should be a representation of the people, rather than the states. Then by all means, get rid of the electoral college.

I love the senate, I love the electoral college. Without the senate, who would give two ****s about what Wyoming wants?

We really have to ask ourselves. Are we a Union of states? Or are we a single nation? If we are a Union of states, keep the electoral college, even if it is imperfect. If we are a single nation, toss the college.

In my opinion, we are a Union of states, and I am terrified of the day when we become a single nation, with a national popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections