U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,582,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ditch the right or wrong thinking and start looking at voter blocs. If holding on to increasingly unpopular social values is keeping your party from gaining influence on economic policy, it's time to either decouple the two or face political irrelevancy.
I don't care about voter blocs, I care about what is right and wrong. It would appear that only certain kinds of "success" are acceptably "popular" with the Left. For the Left to demand acceptance by all of aberrant social values while ignoring sound economic policies, is cutting off your nose to spite your face. But then again, you guys voted for REVENGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,867,748 times
I am a fiscally conservative anti pc, anti blaming others and anti requiring others to pay for my choices, yet I often vote Democratic (and did this year). Why? because of the antiwoman, anti everyone else agenda the modern Republicans have. I am pro choice and do not want to outlaw abortion, though I am devoutly religious. My opinion is I likely wouldn't have an abortion but I have no business telling anyone else what to do, what I don't feel taxpayers should have to pay for abortions (I've given money to abortion groups to help those in need). I was horrified that many Republicans, especially Paul Ryan voted against the Ledbetter Act and equal pay.

However, with regards to immigration I think the Republicans are closer to how I feel. I do not support legalization of those who broke our laws and came here. I also do not feel illegals should be allowed to receive welfare like they do in several states (Illinois is one of them). They often take jobs for cheaper and then paid under the table, leaving many Americans unemployed. However I think a bigger problem are the amount of foreign skilled workers who come here and steal good paying jobs and neither party is working on fixing this.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM

23,769 posts, read 16,043,994 times
IMO...you can lead a horse to water...and you know the rest. It is not in the DNA of a person that does not inherently understand and empathize with the social issues that exist in societies. Some may have been conditioned to think the way that they do due to education or lack thereof, environment, religious beliefs, etc., but if you do not have a natural grasp on respecting the rights/privacy of others, I do not have much faith in it suddenly occurring to them. History will not look back kindly on the ones that are on the wrong side of what is just and fair, but that is their lot.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,401,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
1. They must change their stand on immigration.
2. The Republicans must drop their silly anti abortion stand.
3. They need to drop the anti gay silliness.
Agree. They also have to show that they are FOR women's pay equality. Consider how Mitt Romney danced around verbally supporting the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. He didn't support it, but he didn't want America to hear him SAY he didn't support it. He was actually AGAINST making it easier for women to sue for pay discrimination.

And actually I don't have a problem with them speaking out MORALLY against abortion. I just have a problem with them trying and threatening to use government to regulate a woman's body as their way of preventing abortions.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
God forbid they lose their base since it worked out so well for them this time.
Bingo, an average of 203.8 electoral votes for the GOP in the last 24 years. a high of 286, and that took W getting 44% of the Hispanic vote.

The part of their base that votes in their primaries is the reason they are, once again, going to witness an inaugeration..without being there.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 PM

3,186 posts, read 5,195,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The Republicans have a problem. It looks like many of them are starting to realize this. The basic problem is demograpics. The country is changing but the Republicans have not changed with it. While the country is moving more liberal, the Republicans have moved far to the right. The country is becoming more brown and black while the Republicans only appeal to white males, southerners and the elderly. Not exactly a growing demographic. Here are 3 things the Republicans must do:
1. They must change their stand on immigration. They need to drop opposition to amnesty, especially for illegals that were brought here as children. They must at least allow a path to legal status such as Permanent Residency if not citizenship. This issue is killing the Republicans with Hispanics and it is going to be much harder in the future to put together an electorial college map without Hispanics.
2. The Republicans must drop their silly anti abortion stand. Abortion has been fully legal for almost 40 years. It is here to stay. All the Republicans do by trying to outlaw or restrict abortion is make lawyers rich when they get hauled into court and make women voters run like hell to the Democrats.
3. They need to drop the anti gay silliness. Gays are here to stay. They are not going to switch to hetrosexual because some people don't like them. Not only are the Republicans running off millions of gays but also their friends and family members. The GOP should announce today that they will work to repeal DOMA and drop opposition to gay rights and gay marriage.
Don't give them anymore advice, we've given enough according to most of them on this site. I expect a lot more democrats filling seats in Congress in two years.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM

23,769 posts, read 16,043,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
I don't care about voter blocs, I care about what is right and wrong. It would appear that only certain kinds of "success" are acceptably "popular" with the Left. For the Left to demand acceptance by all of aberrant social values while ignoring sound economic policies, is cutting off your nose to spite your face. But then again, you guys voted for REVENGE.
Since when is sound economic policies part of the right wing agenda? Talking points, yes, actual policies, not so much.

Quote:
Debt and Deficit. In the past 17 Presidential terms, nine were GOP led and eight Democratic. Of nine GOP Presidents, six added to debt/GDP and deficit/GDP as a percent. The only three that did not, had a Democratic House and Senate. Of eight Democrats, each one, reduced deficit/GDP and debt/GDP as a percent. That is 66 years of rhetoric of fiscal responsibility with zero net results for GOP. What makes matters even worse, is the fact that the president who added a historical 20.7% to the debt has one unique aspect of his presidency – President G. W. Bush had a GOP majority House and Senate.

Spending. The Republican Party often talks about financial responsibility, but did you know that since 1978-2011, spending has gone up 9.9% under Democrats versus 12.1% under GOP.

Federal Debt. Republicans love to tell us how they will not close tax loopholes on millionaires and billionaires, yet never bring to our attention that from 1978-2011 debt went up 4.2% under Democrats versus 36.4% under the GOP.
The Black And White Numbers – Democrats Are Better Than Republicans | Addicting Info

Old 11-10-2012, 07:19 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,582,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Since when is sound economic policies part of the right wing agenda? Talking points, yes, actual policies, not so much.
Keynesian vs. Miltonian. Pretty basic. Keynesian economics DOES NOT WORK.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:04 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,556,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They do that, they lose the base. They lose the base, they lose the elections. They won't beat democrats by acting like democrats. They have to lose the racist label but stick to the conservative values, both fiscal and social. There's enough people who would rather be back in 1952 than you might imagine there are. And they are not just whites.
I wouldn't mind going back in time to some degree. The Rs are just toooooo stuck in their mentality and the Ds are tooooo extreme. One can't move forward and the other has gone too far. They both need to move to the middle.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:26 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,183,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I'm sharing this from a poster named Mike from yahoo. Pretty damned accurate from my perspective.

"I'm an Independent, and I think I know why a lot of us voted for Obama. Let me explain, one more time, and maybe some of you Republicans will finally get it...

Bush, after eight years, left this country in WORSE SHAPE than any president anyone alive can remember. We were on the brink of a total, worldwide economic collapse and major depression. We were SO desperate, we actually voted in an unqualified, inexperienced, BLACK guy... for PRESIDENT! You know what? Before we would allow another Republican to cause more trouble and potential ruin... we voted for him... AGAIN! Even though he was somewhat of a disappointment, things are slowly getting better.

We also did not forget the GOP's publicly stated main goal at the beginning, and throughout President Obama's first term: to do everything and anything to make him a one term President. The Republicans in Congress then REFUSED to compromise, on ANYTHING, not even letting the temporary Bush tax breaks for the wealthy expire, which the vast majority of Americans wanted, (and still do). The goal to make Obama a one term President, at ANY and ALL costs, severely damaged the GOP's credibility, honor, and trustworthiness with most Americans, and me. It was a childish, ugly, stupid agenda, which most people believe hurt America. Well, it backfired, and will be remembered as a mistake that will haunt the GOP for a long time.

UNDENIABLE FACTS: The Bush Administration got us into two unfunded wars. One with Iraq based on, (I'll be kind here), faulty intelligence, and a lame, noneffective war in Afghanistan, which didn't accomplish anything during Bush's watch, except cost money. Republican policies, such as, "trickle down economics", (more like trickled-on), never worked, and still don't. Deregulating our banking system, (something the wealthy wanted, and got), was and still is a disaster. Even Greenspan publicly admitted it was a mistake. The Democrats are also to blame for this, but it was Bush's Treasury Secretary, Paulson, who got on television looking like a scared deer in the headlights, telling us the entire world economy was in immediate danger of a total collapse. To top it all off, the 1-percent, the obscenely wealthy, continue to keep getting a bigger and BIGGER percentage of the nations entire wealth, mainly due to Republican economic and tax policies.

The above reasons are why I voted FOR President Obama, and I'm sure I'm not the only Independent voter who felt this way. I could write another, entire, lengthy post on why I voted AGAINST Governor Romney, but there is no need to.

If fiscal conservatives, who rightly believe in limited government, could somehow get the anti-women, anti-science religious radicals, the Tea Party, Norquist puppets, and the racist element out of the GOP, they might actually survive. Oh wait... that pretty much IS the Republican Party these days now, isn't it?"
Great find here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or