U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 AM
 
4,176 posts, read 5,306,038 times
Reputation: 1843

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I am a fiscally conservative anti pc, anti blaming others and anti requiring others to pay for my choices, yet I often vote Democratic (and did this year). Why? because of the antiwoman, anti everyone else agenda the modern Republicans have. I am pro choice and do not want to outlaw abortion, though I am devoutly religious. My opinion is I likely wouldn't have an abortion but I have no business telling anyone else what to do, what I don't feel taxpayers should have to pay for abortions (I've given money to abortion groups to help those in need). I was horrified that many Republicans, especially Paul Ryan voted against the Ledbetter Act and equal pay.

However, with regards to immigration I think the Republicans are closer to how I feel. I do not support legalization of those who broke our laws and came here. I also do not feel illegals should be allowed to receive welfare like they do in several states (Illinois is one of them). They often take jobs for cheaper and then paid under the table, leaving many Americans unemployed. However I think a bigger problem are the amount of foreign skilled workers who come here and steal good paying jobs and neither party is working on fixing this.
No you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,011,093 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The Republicans have a problem. It looks like many of them are starting to realize this. The basic problem is demograpics. The country is changing but the Republicans have not changed with it. While the country is moving more liberal, the Republicans have moved far to the right. The country is becoming more brown and black while the Republicans only appeal to white males, southerners and the elderly. Not exactly a growing demographic. Here are 3 things the Republicans must do:
1. They must change their stand on immigration. They need to drop opposition to amnesty, especially for illegals that were brought here as children. They must at least allow a path to legal status such as Permanent Residency if not citizenship. This issue is killing the Republicans with Hispanics and it is going to be much harder in the future to put together an electorial college map without Hispanics.
2. The Republicans must drop their silly anti abortion stand. Abortion has been fully legal for almost 40 years. It is here to stay. All the Republicans do by trying to outlaw or restrict abortion is make lawyers rich when they get hauled into court and make women voters run like hell to the Democrats.
3. They need to drop the anti gay silliness. Gays are here to stay. They are not going to switch to hetrosexual because some people don't like them. Not only are the Republicans running off millions of gays but also their friends and family members. The GOP should announce today that they will work to repeal DOMA and drop opposition to gay rights and gay marriage.
What is it about gays and abortion not being the damned fed government's business that's so hard to understand?

Most conservatives couldn't personally care less if you abort or gay yourself to death.....it's NONE OF OUR BUSINESS and we don't want to hear about it. Or pay for it.

Get it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,712 posts, read 11,021,247 times
Reputation: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What is it about gays and abortion not being the damned fed government's business that's so hard to understand?
That is the same view segretationists had in the 1950s and 1960s. "It's a state's rights issue." The fact is that the U.S. constitution guarantees equal protection and if a state passes laws that violate equal protection it becomes a federal issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Most conservatives couldn't personally care less if you abort or gay yourself to death.....it's NONE OF OUR BUSINESS and we don't want to hear about it. Or pay for it.

Get it now?
You don't get it. If conservatives didn't really care about abortion or gays they wouldn't have passed laws in Republican controlled states that are hostile to abortion providers and hostile to gay rights.

The reality is that conservatives believe only in personal freedoms that they endorse. They are not reluctant at all to use the power of government to curb personal freedoms that they despise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 12,777,920 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What is it about gays and abortion not being the damned fed government's business that's so hard to understand?

Most conservatives couldn't personally care less if you abort or gay yourself to death.....it's NONE OF OUR BUSINESS and we don't want to hear about it. Or pay for it.

Get it now?
no, they don't dale.

they don't get it.

because deep down they want us to care, are trying to force us to care, and we just don't. JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE.

ironically, they backed a guy who is trying to get the muslim extremists to overthrow the conservatives in the mideast and they will eventually be PUT TO DEATH if that group ever gets in charge.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Islam_and_Homosexuality

in this upside down world, they will get change they can believe in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,712 posts, read 11,021,247 times
Reputation: 5600
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
no, they don't dale.

they don't get it.

because deep down they want us to care, are trying to force us to care, and we just don't. JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE.

ironically, they backed a guy who is trying to get the muslim extremists to overthrow the conservatives in the mideast and they will eventually be PUT TO DEATH if that group ever gets in charge.

Islam and Homosexuality - WikiIslam

in this upside down world, they will get change they can believe in!
Conservative are the ones passing abortion limitations and restricting gay marriage and gay rights.

If conservatives really don't care, they sure have a funny way of expressing it. Because if you look at what they actually do, instead of what you say, one would get the exact opposite impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,609,500 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Let me sum it up: They need to get out of their 1952 mentality and get in step with the times. The world around them has changed and will continue to change, they just can't accept the fact that their ideals work against them.
Yes. Gay is the way of the future until we have a population crisis because people aren't having any children. It's coming in Europe soon and will in the US in the next 50 years.

By the way, it was Obama who ran on social issues in this election, not Romney. It was Obama who was using homosexuality gain support from young voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,506 posts, read 31,895,350 times
Reputation: 9411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Most conservatives couldn't personally care less if you abort or gay yourself to death.....it's NONE OF OUR BUSINESS and we don't want to hear about it. Or pay for it.

Get it now?
If they do not care, they need to stop pretending that they care (lying about it) and remove those issues from the party platform. When you listen to them, it sounds like those two issues are the ONLY thins they care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 12,777,920 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Conservative are the ones passing abortion limitations and restricting gay marriage and gay rights.

If conservatives really don't care, they sure have a funny way of expressing it. Because if you look at what they actually do, instead of what you say, one would get the exact opposite impression.
what abortion limitations have been passed?

what "gay rights" have been denied by congress?

will the fearmongering ever stop?

most conservatives are a LOT MORE WORRIED about the economic issues plaguing this country, and how we are going to survive as a nation than to worry about whether some woman wants to risk her life with an abortion, or some gay wants a boyfriend/girlfriend.

THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES IN THIS COUNTRY, and we actually get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,475,967 times
Reputation: 25990
The Republican party needs to re brand their image. Just because the Dems are for something, does not mean Reps...need to be against it.

It was interesting to look at the electoral college votes and red vs. Blue states. Blue states were on the coast, red states, the interior.

We need a solid Republican governor from a red state, who is fiscal conservative. But stands firm on protecting rights of women and gays. Women want to make their own healthcare choices. Gay folks want to ger married....leave those issues out of government interference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,863,169 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
No you're not.
Yes I am, as I want to cut wasteful spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top