U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 16,021,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
On Jan 19, 2009 who was in control of 2/3 of government? Democrats. Who had been in control of 2/3 of government, passing laws, passing spending, for over 2 years? Democrats. Who has been on control of the government for most of the last 40 years? Democrats. As much as your rabid hatred of Bush clouds your view facts don't change.

Democrats conveniently seem to forget that their party caused it. They were the ones who controlled both the House and Senate for years and passed the laws and pushed the policies that caused the economic free fall. Just another blind, rabid, liberal.
Just for starters...

The Myth of the Filibuster-Proof Democratic Senate

Republicans have magically, mystically turned 72 days into two full years
Here’s what really happened...

The Myth of the Filibuster-Proof Democratic Senate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,608,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just had to quote this.

So, on January 19, 2009, just a day before the inauguration of President Obama, we were living in a robust economy? The stock market was healthy? How do you feel about the 8 prior years of "conservatism" that had taken place that got us where we are right now?

Oh, I know, I know, a few of you were grumbling that the other administration wasn't really conservative but I heard nothing but praise back then. There were a few sane folks who did realize the mess but no the masses. Please.
The economy had a complete collapse and the DEMOCRATS held Congress.. both branches...

Bush tried THIRTEEN TIMES to reign in the mortgage industry, Democrats not only said no, but ask for MORE of them

Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
^^^ Nice try at rewriting history.

“You had the authority to prevent irresponsible lending practices that led to the subprime mortgage crisis. You were advised to do so by many others,” said Representative Henry A. Waxman of California, chairman of the committee. “Do you feel that your ideology pushed you to make decisions that you wish you had not made?”

Mr. Greenspan conceded: “Yes, I’ve found a flaw. I don’t know how significant or permanent it is. But I’ve been very distressed by that fact. Those of us who have looked to the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholders’ equity, myself included, are in a state of shocked disbelief.” –Alan Greenspan, Former Chairman of the Federal Reserve (appointed by Ronald Reagan in 1987)

FOX News: Bush Administration Ignored Warnings of Pending Financial Meltdown
"The administration's blind eye to the impending crisis is emblematic of its governing philosophy, which trusted market forces and discounted the value of government intervention in the economy. Its belief ironically has ushered in the most massive government intervention since the 1930s."

Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 11,376,311 times
nononsenseguy--I would love to have an intelligent discussion about this and I thought that's what you wanted. By calling me a "chump" and hoping I'd lose my house and job, I can see that you don't want to talk about anything. You just want to come here to spew ignorant venom. Got it.

To the person who said I'm a rabid Bush hater--you couldn't be farther from the truth. I voted for Bush both times but by the end of the second term, I wanted him (or more appropriately, his administration OUT). 2008 was my first ever Democratic vote. So you can try to put me in a box all you want--you are wrong. I am a registered republican. I have not changed but my party has changed DRASTICALLY. If you think I was seriously hoping for the RNC to put forth a candidate that I could consider, you would be wrong again. Romney N-E-V-E-R spelled out his economic plan in any way that even began to make sense or put confidence in me to hand back over to those puppetmasters who bungled up the Bush years.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM

30,111 posts, read 15,661,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
We didn't get to where we are overnight, it's not going to get fixed overnight - regardless of who is in the White House.

What is the path forward? Serious cuts in spending and, sadly, increased taxes. That's the only real way out of this mess. Do I expect Obama to do everything necessary to head us in that direction? No. Hopefully we'll make strides, though. Guess what? Romney wouldn't have been any better on this issue, just different.
We could have been out of the mess "Bush created" (he didn't create it on his own; he had a lot of help from Democrat policies going back to the Carter years, vis-a-vis the CRA) in four years easily, if we had elected a real leader.

Instead, we elected a guy based not only on the color of his skin (the first Black president), but the "crease of his trousers" (David Brooks), a "thrill up the leg (Chris Matthews) and a media that painted him as some kind of god, even a Messiah figure! Nobody asked who he was and what his experience and education were. Obama lied and said he had been a "Constitutional Law Professor." We now know from the Chicago School of Law that he was only a lecturer, and never taught anything about the Constitution.
In 1999, only 23 percent of the students said they would repeat Obama's racism class. He
was the third-lowest-ranked lecturer at the law school that year. And in 2003, only a third of
the student evaluators recommended his classes.
His classes were small. A spring 1994 class attracted 14 out of a student body of 600; a
spring 1996 class drew 13. In 1997, he had the largest class of his tenure with 49 students.
But by then, his student rating had fallen to 7.75. Twenty-two of 40 faculty members ranked
higher than Obama.[snip]
Obama has often cited his days at the law school as an important part of his preparation for
the presidency. At a March 30, 2007, fundraiser, for example, he said, "I was a
constitutional law professor, which means, unlike the current president, I actually respect
the Constitution."
From 1992 until 2004, Obama taught three courses: "Current Issues in Racism and the
Law," "Voting Rights and the Democratic Process," and "Equal Protection and Substantive
Due Process."
Obama wasn't a professor; he was a lecturer, a position that the Chicago Law School said
in 2008 "signifies adjunct status." He was elevated to a "senior lecturer" in 1996, the year he was first elected to the Illinois Senate in Springfield.
Chapter II: The myth of the 'rock-star professor' | WashingtonExaminer.com
We could have been out in four if we had looked beneath our feet, to the vast reserves God gave us to use. Obama still talks about "energy independence" but it is nothing more than talk, as he has done everything to block the exploitation of our resources. We are rich in resources, but they are locked away until we have a leader smart enough to understand the consequences of not tapping them. He has recently pulled from consideration other Federal lands from energy exploration and production, some which are known to hold vast reserves. We have more than the entire Middle East. We have enough to meet our needs, for hundreds of years, providing our industries with affordable and plentiful energy.

This would go a long way toward breathing new life into our manufacturing, and we could export too, helping with our debt.

Obama is a fool, plain and simple.

Then there is ObamaCare. This is one of the worst pieces of legislation to ever have come down the pike. This alone accounts for the massive layoffs in late 2008, and throughout 2009 and beyond. We had a glimmer of hope that Obama wouldn't be re-elected. Everyone was hopeful. Didn't happen. A second Obama term, followed by the announcements of more massive layoffs. And these announcement should have been made prior to the election, to be with in the law. But Obama violated the law, and told manufactures not to make the announcements before the election, and he (We, the US Taxpayer) would pick up the tab for the lawsuits that are sure to come.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,580,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Luckily, there are anti-stalking laws & restraining orders via court against people like you.
OMG, the drama queens of the Left. What Nononsenseguy MEANS is

1. Attend your local board of education meetings
2. Attend your local town or village board meetings.
3. Videotape the meetings if they do not livestream them.

All of which are perfectly LEGAL. Unscrupulous public officials HATE being videotaped. Too bad. Put it up on You Tube. Expose the lies.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 16,021,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Oh gee. I must not have see how Obamas economy and administration has done so much better.

Wait. I didn't see it because it hasn't happened.

You all can just keep believing that higher prices and declining jobs and income mean the economy is doing good.

Give me a break.
The ecomomy has improved and all of the indicators prove it. Housing market...up. Consumer confidence...up. Manufacturing...up. Wall Street...up. Jobs...up. Guess you are too comfy and cozy in that right wing propaganda bubble world to venture out now and again.

Things would be moving quicker if the GOP did not stall and obstruct. And BTW OP...why are you using the word "Forward"? I thought it was a Communist word.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-10-2012 at 02:30 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 03:09 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,219,726 times
Wow! This is the most hair-on-fire crazy thread so far from the extreme right wingers who just handed the election to Obama. You guys are so deeply invested in believing your own propaganda that when reality hits you, you go even deeper into insanity and bitterness.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 11-10-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Loony GOP teabaggers will still continue to whine about gay marriage, Obama's birth certificate, and advocating rape....and losing elections (well, except in all the welfare red states in the Deep South). LOL!!
I agree; some "teabaggers" are loony.

Now the Tea Party, that is a different story. They are concerned about government overspending and tax hikes. And there is nothing loony about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or