U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,513,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Same thing happened to Dems when Bush was elected. Maybe that is the reason some Dems are still hurting from that election and feel this is pay back time like junior high.

I just wish the country would wake up and realize we need to work together if we are to survive.
Party now stop hanging on let it go , when it collapses then the sane can fix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:11 AM

69,372 posts, read 53,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong, as wrong as your predictions of a massive Romney win.

The GOP is getting killed when runing for POTUS amongst every group except older white men. (and I was talking voting results,, not how the economy affects folks). That is in keeping with the thread's topic.

The 40 point losing Latino margin was lower than the GOP losing margin amongst several other minority groups. It was only 4 points closer than single women.
That doesnt mean that its good for the country

Tell me how record debt, record deficits, record foreclosures, record job losses, record welfare, is good for the country?

Come on man, stop the bull ****

Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,169,168 times
Rachel is wonderful and accurate; thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,399,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I don't think this is right. Just because an admitted majority of a population believes something does not make it right. A move towards the "center" by people who believe in certain ideals means abandoning those ideals.
Not necessarily. Moving to the center is about governing. Governing means taking ideals from both sides and coming up with and implementing a plan for America. Compromise is required to do this. But just because compromise happens doesn't mean that the ideals are abandoned.

I'll give an example to make this obvious. I am a Christian. I believe that it is wrong, it is a sin to worship other gods besides the Christian God. I think everybody in the US should worship the Christian God. But I am willing to be reasonable and accept that others are given the freedom, the right TO worship other gods. And I accept and support that freedom of religion being in American law. My "compromising" therein does NOT mean that I am abandoning my ideal of it being wrong to worship any other god besides the Christian God. An ideal is a personally held belief. You don't have to abandon your personally held belief to compromise on how America is to be governed. And compromising on how America is governed doesn't mean you are abandoning your personally held belief. The same goes for people's personal pro-life belief, or anti-gay marriage belief as for an anti-worshipping other gods belief.

Quote:
I predict that in the future, the democrats and liberals will continue to gain a majority of the population and vote. That is something that I will live with. However, I also think that an entitlement society cannot sustain itself forever, and change will be forced on your side too once harsh realities are realized.
Your conclusion has implications for BOTH the 2 big entitlements Social Security and Medicare AS WELL AS for defense spending. A world policing nation (ie. empire, imperialist global military) cannot sustain itself forever. An entitlement nation CAN sustain itself, to the extent that those entitlements are not overwhelmingly excessive. Likewise a nation with a strong military can sustain itself, to the extent that defense spending is not overwhelmingly excessive. A nation that defends itself rather than forever policing the globe and that offers entitlements, but of a reasonable sustainable monetary amount for Social Security (Health care is a problem all nations struggle with) rather than blowing the budget with them can sustain itself. Everything in moderation. It's not an entitlements vs. no entitlements discussion.

Quote:
I will continue to vote for what I believe this nation was founded upon: The idea that each person is responsible for their own destiny, that hard work pays off, and that the government should protect it's people, not control them.
Then you will continue to vote in ways counter to how Republicans really think these days- because they believe it IS the government's job to control people: control gay people into not getting a government marriage license, control women into not getting abortions and really into not even taking a morning after pill, control television into not showing nudity and not using foul language (controlling what people can and can't hear and see on tv), controlling women into not breast feeding in public, controlling women into wearing more clothes than men (a man can go shirtless in public, a woman is forbidden), controlling people into not smoking pot (even though it's less dangerous than alcohol which is allowed), controlling the behavior of peoples and nations all around the globe on a daily basis with the US military and permanent global bases. Make no mistake. Republicans are for big invasive government on many issues, and only for small government on some issues.

I apologize in advance if I have incorrectly assumed you are a Republican as opposed to a Libertarian. We all have seen how the Republican Party has treated a Libertarian like Ron Paul who DOES advocate for a truly small government. They utterly disrespect him because again, they are for big invasive government on many issues.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,272,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I can't believe you said that. Before I read this thread, I responded to a different thread and almost said the exact same thing about hitting bottom, but my reference was to democrats.

So it looks like we can sit and read foolish threads like this for 4 years, where democrats scoff at republicans and say, "neener, neener," all day long, or republicans can strengthen their resolve and nominate a decent candidate in 2016. And don't forget 2014. It'll be here before ya know it.

I'm right there with you, frog. I have no intention of compromising my principles.
Well, that's interesting, I can't imagine how one might "spin" winning the Presidency, AND adding seats in both the Congress and the Senate, as "hitting bottom"?!

Although it's only fair to point out that most of the "neener, neener", etc. you're referring to, has simply been a response to all the excuses, denial and generally "sore losing" on the part of the Right (or would a gracious "Congratulations" on your own part, have "compromised your principles"..)?

BTW, what further signs of "living in a fantasy" do you need, when even your own "news" media, pollsters and "experts" fail you?!! And when one is that far into "De Nile", then "hitting bottom" and being "shamed" might actually be a good thang!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,829,183 times
That happened to the Dems in the last election in 2010. The Republican will do what the Dems did. Redouble their workers and work to win next time.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Kind of remionds me of what is beig said of Lance Armstrong how. Get real the guy is livig the high life as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or