U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,715,121 times

Advertisements

FL went to Obama on Tuesday night. It took the GOP power structure in the state several days to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 AM

14,374 posts, read 16,295,952 times
The Florida State legislature is GOP controlled. The governor is a tea party guy and a mean crook. He is the lowest rated governor in all states.

The plan for the Florida GOP was to suppress voters. Here is what they did for 2012.

1) Cut down the number of voting poll locations by as much as 40-50%. All in the name of cost saving. This was implemented for 2012. Many people were assigned new voting locations(if their old one went away) for 2012 after having a different voting location for many years. This caused longer lines and also some folks might have gone to their old location.

2) Changed the number of early "in-person" days from 14 days in prior years to 8 days. This caused long lines for "early voting". They removed the Sunday before voting day from early voting as well. This was a known day when black churches often has major events for getting the congregation to the polls after church service. Suddely after Florida having early voting for many years on this Sunday...all of a sudden it's too close to voting day and now they need to shut down that day in order to properly prepare for the Tuesday voting day. BS. It was pure voter suppression. And the people realized this and they stood in lines as long as it took because they wanted their vote counted. They knew supressesion attempts were being made and they took a stand. Sometimes a 6 hour stand.

3) Added 11 long amendments to the 2012 ballot. Each was approx 2-3 large paragraphs. This caused long lines for folks that read didn't pre-read the amendments prior to coming to the voting booth.

4) Modified rules for getting FL Drivers Licence/State ID (signed photo ID needed to vote and most folks use DL). Within the past year, Florida increased the number and type of documents needed to renew/get a DL. Original Birth Certificate and original ss card plus 2 documents with your address plus original marriage license for EACH name change for women that changed name when married. Quite a hassle to get a DL renewed. This is just another part of the GOP's plan to suppress voters.

What will they do next.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 AM

19,848 posts, read 10,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Only if you presume they actually want to have the most efficient and modern electoral system in the nation. But they don't. At least not the current administration in Tallahassee. Governor Rick Scott is unhappy because, in his view, voting didn't go badly enough in Florida. Too many people vote. He didn't suppress nearly as many votes as he had hoped.
Yep, he'll never do as well as Jeb Bush did in 2000. There will be a special place in hell for him and Katherine Harris. They gave us an 8 years we may never recover from.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 2,627,049 times
I know someone retired military who went to vote in hillsborough county, early voting and the lady told him sir you already voted, he protested and said no i didnt, me and my wife are here for the first time.

The lady said well, someone signed for you showed and id and voted on your behalf. His wife was stunned and almost in tears, and he had to do provisional ballot for Obama..The wife was able to vote with no problem. Although his name is a very common name kinda like John Smith. But still that is wrong

But that is a travesty, I dont know how that happened....amazingly sad. I know my husband and I are leaving Fla within the next few years to raise our future family because the school system in FLA sucks for children, unless you put them in montessori or private school, but I am tired of Fla anyway. I have been blessed tremendously in this state, but looking to go somewhere with family that is more progressive.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 AM

3,988 posts, read 3,832,170 times
I think the GOP's voter suppression efforts in Florida backfired. It actually motivated more democrats to come out to vote, particularly minorities.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM

3,988 posts, read 3,832,170 times
With Florida's win, Obama has won the majority. In addition to winning the electoral college and popular vote, Obama has won more states than Mitt Romney.

States carried:

Obama - 26 states + DC
Romney - 24 states

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think the GOP's voter suppression efforts in Florida backfired. It actually motivated more democrats to come out to vote, particularly minorities.
Except Obama won it more easily in 2008 than this year. And that's with far higher government dependency and illegal foreigers living in the state in 2012.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,245,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Except Obama won it more easily in 2008 than this year. And that's with far higher government dependency and illegal foreigers living in the state in 2012.
Link, please?

There were more illegal immigrants deported during Obama's first 4 years than during all 8 years Bush served. Please show me a credible source that shows there are more illegals living in Florida now than in 2008.

Regarding "government dependency" many of the people in that 47% Romney talked about are collecting Social Security which is not taxable. I also know a few people whose hours were cut so much they applied for Food Stamps. It does not mean they're not working. One woman I know got $18.50 a month. Big deal! Wanting to pay your bills and put food on the table for your family has nothing to do with being "dependent" on the government, that is, unless you want to put all those people in Joplin MO or Staten Island or the New Jersey shore in that category. People always complain about "the takers" until they're the ones who need to take.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM

6,129 posts, read 4,062,357 times

You see?

Okay, so Florida goes to Obama but was surprised as before election day it was reported that seniors were overwhelmingly going for Romney and though he had Florida for sure.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,245,126 times
LOL - I don't know why anyone wants this job! Obama has aged about 10 years since 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or