U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,231,823 times

Advertisements

Here it is.

They seem to hate everyone else.

I mean everyone. Blacks, hispanics, asians, liberals, government workers, uppity women, gays, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America. You name it, they insult it every single day right here on this forum. I don't know when it became good conversation to say, in essence, "I am right, you are an idiot!" to your fellow citizens and all other countries in the world all day every day, and to claim moral superiority while doing it.

I don't really think they do hate people like that, as I know many very kind conservatives, but that seems to be a major element of the daily slams, insults, jabs, and such I read here. They are all very offputting, and I cannot imagine why anyone who is not a already a white evangelical small business owner or die hard Wall Streeter would want to put the GOP in charge. They don't seem to extend respect to anyone outside their bubble. That is simply a terrible political strategy, and it is no surprise that it failed.

Prove me wrong, please, without hurling insults, if you can.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times

Old 11-10-2012, 05:15 PM

3,184 posts, read 5,187,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Here it is.

I mean everyone. Blacks, hispanics, asians, liberals, government workers, uppity women, gays, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America. You name it, they insult it every single day right here on this forum. I don't know when it became good conversation to say, in essence, "I am right, you are an idiot!" to your fellow citizens and all other countries in the world all day every day, and to claim moral superiority while doing it.

I don't really think they do hate people like that, as I know many very kind conservatives, but that seems to be a major element of the daily slams, insults, jabs, and such I read here. They are all very offputting, and I cannot imagine why anyone who is not a already a white evangelical small business owner or die hard Wall Streeter would want to put the GOP in charge. They don't seem to extend respect to anyone outside their bubble. That is simply a terrible political strategy, and it is no surprise that it failed.

They compete to see who ever can sound crazier and more hateful. One says "Barack Obama isn't a very good President" another says "Barack Obama wasn't born in America" the first guy says "Barack Obama was born in Kenya" the second guy says "Barack Obama was the reason for the credit meltdown" the first guy says "Barack Obama is the reason for the war in Iraq" and so on. Its all a competition to see who can sound more mentally handicap. Don't give them anymore advice, we're done. Eventually their base will only consist of those in the Westboro Baptist Church.

And I agree, the conservatives I know in real life are typically pretty nice people especially those who are my age (20's). I was in Union Station in DC one day and this conservative couple from Florida and I (A African-American) had a real nice conversation about government wasteful spending and we agreed on some points, we had our differences of course but overall they were quite pleasant people. They seemed really proud that I had a pretty decent job for someone my age and applauded my hard work, and encouraged me to continue working and doing in well in school. They are the conservatives I like, the ones where we can have a decent conversation and have our differences and still recognize each other as Americans, I'm sure they were impressed with me as well. But anyways its their politicians who continue giving them a bad reputation along with Fox and some posters on this site.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM

8,305 posts, read 8,577,591 times
Quote:
Here it is.

I voted for George H. W. Bush in 1988 when he ran against Michael Dukakis.

My observation about Republicans and conservatism is that since that time (24 years ago) they have morphed from being somewhat conservative to being outrageously conservative.

These are the values the GOP seemed to have in 1988:

1. We should limit the size of government.
2. We should try to limit taxes.
3. We should examine government regulation of business and eliminate unnecessary and wasteful regulations.
4. We need a strong military.
5. We should limit the size of the welfare state.
6. Democrats and liberals are our loyal opposition.

Today, the GOP has these values.

1. All government is bad unless we are talking about the military or the police.
2. Limiting taxes is not enough, we must reduce them and since the rich pay the most taxes, they should get by far and away the most reductions.
3. All government regulation of business is bad because the "market regulates itself".
4. We need a military stronger than the military of the next ten countries combined and it cannot be cut even if it means total elimination of programs designed to prevent hunger and destitution in our country.
5. We should eliminate the welfare state if for no other reason than these are the supporters of the democrats and by eliminating the welfare state we weaken our opposition.
6. Democrats and liberals are the ruination of mankind, hellbent on the destruction of America.

Anyone can see the movement that has occurred. The GOP has gone from positions that were utterly reasonable to utter extremism.

I think a lot of people felt it was just too much for them. So, even though we had a bad economy and even though Obama has shortcomings as a President, they weren't willing to swallow such an agenda.

They didn't lose because of the way the message was delivered (as some are fond to say). They lost because a majority of people absolutely reject the message.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,231,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I voted for George H. W. Bush in 1988 when he ran against Michael Dukakis.

My observation about Republicans and conservatism is that since that time (24 years ago) they have morphed from being somewhat conservative to being outrageously conservative.

These are the values the GOP seemed to have in 1988:

1. We should limit the size of government.
2. We should try to limit taxes.
3. We should examine government regulation of business and eliminate unnecessary and wasteful regulations.
4. We need a strong military.
5. We should limit the size of the welfare state.
6. Democrats and liberals are our loyal opposition.

Today, the GOP has these values.

1. All government is bad unless we are talking about the military or the police.
2. Limiting taxes is not enough, we must reduce them and since the rich pay the most taxes, they should get by far and away the most reductions.
3. All government regulation of business is bad because the "market regulates itself".
4. We need a military stronger than the military of the next ten countries combined and it cannot be cut even if it means total elimination of programs designed to prevent hunger and destitution in our country.
5. We should eliminate the welfare state if for no other reason than these are the supporters of the democrats and by eliminating the welfare state we weaken our opposition.
6. Democrats and liberals are the ruination of mankind, hellbent on the destruction of America.

Anyone can see the movement that has occurred. The GOP has gone from positions that were utterly reasonable to extremism.

I think a lot of people felt it was just too much for them. So, even though we had a bad economy and even though Obama has shortcomings as a President, they weren't willing to swallow such an agenda.

They didn't lose because of the way the message was delivered (as some are fond to say). They lost because a majority of people absolutely reject the message.
Interesting. I think your 1988 positions seem entirely reasonable. Sure, we must limit government, but that does not mean destroy it. It serves a purpose. I have been looking for that common sense position, and I have not seen it lately.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,134,200 times
Quote:
Your entire thread is an insult.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM

15,384 posts, read 9,340,926 times
They have an odd attack where Obama is to blame for the bad economy and the record number of people on government assistance but then call anyone getting gov't assistance shiftless and lazy.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Being overly confident equals arrogance....slow and steady wins the race!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:55 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Being overly confident equals arrogance....slow and steady wins the race!

I laughed so hard at this. Hilarious. +1 rep to you sir.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM

12,214 posts, read 7,340,869 times
Quote:
Here it is.

For all the reasons you stated I was actually surprised the election was as close as it was. The Republican main-streamers better grow some balls and take their party back from the extremests or they won't have a prayer next time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or