Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
How does that kill the red state/blue state argument? Looks to me like a sea of red rural areas, with splotches of blue (mostly urban areas) that turn some states blue.
It doesn't kill anything, unless one disregards the original point about population distribution.

Plus even in "red" or "blue" counties, most have a significant portion of people voting for the other side.

That's how you end up with a ~52/47 split even with a map that looks like that.

So in short, you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
And they are safe because they have low rates of minorities. The most unsafe states have high minority populations which have, unfortunately, a high propensity for crime. If one were to be pragmatic one might assume that this is why the whites in those states vote conservative.
Ok what point are you trying to make? Since when did this become a race issue? Most minority's and most of the safest states voted Obama. So the safest states being mostly white has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Ok what point are you trying to make? Since when did this become a race issue? Most minority's and most of the safest states voted Obama. So the safest states being mostly white has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.
For some people, everything's about race.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
They are also the whitest. Don't you libs ever think before you link?!
What does that have to do with anything you said? I was responding to your assertion that the blue states are full of violence. I don't care about what color the people are. I guess you do.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
When we conservatives, and specifically red states, are constantly being belittled as angry white men on this board, it absolutely does make a difference.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
I take it you didn't know. Lol!
Nope, never been there. Your point is?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Does anyone remember the ~upside down map~ episode of West Wing? A cartographer tries to persuade C.J. that, from a universal perspective, there is no Up or Down or North or South. C. J. responds "Stop that, you're freaking me out".

My point is: when you look at a traditional map, it's almost impossible to drop prejudices and cultural conditioning. The OP admirably offered a map that accurately reflects how the country voted in this election. I enjoyed seeing it, even more so when I turned my laptop monitor upside down and discovered the South all went deep blue. kewl.

To digress a bit, there are many folks for whom this election was a "world turned upside down" experience. They need time to absorb it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
When we conservatives, and specifically red states, are constantly being belittled as angry white men on this board, it absolutely does make a difference.
You're obviously male and even more obviously pretty angry, so at least 2/3 of the shoe fits.

I'm a female in a red state and an ultra-red county, surrounded by white men I love, who, like me, supported Obama. The stereotyping - ie you're a 60-year-old affluent white man in a red state, you must have voted for that loser Romney - gets old. But we're consoled by the fact that WE WON!

But you know what? If we had lost, we would not have succumbed to anger and bitterness. We know this because we lost in 2000 and 2004, and we dealt with it. Nicely, if I may say so myself.
If you don't want to be called an angry white man, don't be angry.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
obama also won blaine county in idaho where sun valley is, as well as Latah county where the university of idaho is. idaho is very small in population, but the growth is happening in and around ada county (boise) which was pretty swingish 52-48 for romney... almost half the population of idaho is in the boise valley.. while idaho is considered staunchly conservative, a small influx of growth has a huge impact.. it's been happening and the trend will be how denver switched colorado to a swing state.. so too will boise. it's chicken**** how they draw up districts too.. they split boise in half so as to have republican rural edges over the city population density. the key is growth!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You're obviously male and even more obviously pretty angry, so at least 2/3 of the shoe fits.
I apologize but I am responding to stupidity, how does one do that without showing a little contempt?

Quote:
I'm a female in a red state and an ultra-red county, surrounded by white men I love, who, like me, supported Obama. The stereotyping - ie you're a 60-year-old affluent white man in a red state, you must have voted for that loser Romney - gets old. But we're consoled by the fact that WE WON!
I understand that. So why do you put up with the crap from the northern liberals who think that you are a bunch of slack-jawed racists. Me? I'm a northern urban Republican, they don't seem to be able to stereotype me and the ironic thing is I spend a lot of time on this board defending southerners from them.

Quote:
But you know what? If we had lost, we would not have succumbed to anger and bitterness. We know this because we lost in 2000 and 2004, and we dealt with it. Nicely, if I may say so myself.
If you don't want to be called an angry white man, don't be angry.
Good for you that you took those losses so sublimely but don't kid yourself into thinking that the losses by the Democrats in 2000 and 2004 were taken with a grain of salt. Those losses were the beginning of the divisiveness that has consumed the political landscape for the last 12 years. A divisiveness that had not been seen since the Civil War.

BTW, the "angry white males" are not starting the nasty threads on the board, maybe you should think about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections