U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM

3,682 posts, read 2,506,643 times
I'm originally from Philly and travel there probably a few times per month from NY. It wouldn't be surprising if Obama won the majority black and poor vote there...I don't know if I'd buy the 100% angle though. I don't see the majority of South Philly old school Italians being pro-bama.

North Philly, and West Philly?...yeah for the most part.

The majority Italian South Philly? The very same area that wants Mumia executed on death row? I don't think so.

What about the large North East Eastern European populations (Russians, slavic countries etc)? Again, I don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM

12,427 posts, read 3,981,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm originally from Philly and travel there probably a few times per month from NY. It wouldn't be surprising if Obama won the majority black and poor vote there...I don't know if I'd buy the 100% angle though. I don't see the majority of South Philly old school Italians being pro-bama.

North Philly, and West Philly?...yeah for the most part.

The majority Italian South Philly? The very same area that wants Mumia executed on death row? I don't think so.

What about the large North East Eastern European populations (Russians, slavic countries etc)? Again, I don't see it.
Looking at the map of these 59 precincts in the OP's link, which ones in particular do you question?

here's the map: http://www.philly.com/philly/hot_top...61771.html?c=r

Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,111,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You've never been to Philly have you?
hat is what I was thinking. Clearly look even at past elections the dependent areas of most states vote democratic.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:37 PM

4,588 posts, read 2,491,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
News - philly.com

Posted from my iPhone. I find it hard to believe that 59 voting districts voted straight Obama and not one single vote for Romney.

Keep believing.

There are 66 wards in Philly.

Romney got almost 100,000 votes.

Home

Maybe they (the writers of the article) meant to say he didn't win a district (or 59), rather then he recieved no votes.

But then you wouldn't be talking about it (as a fact).

Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM

24,261 posts, read 28,591,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the map
Mitt Romney failed to received a single vote in 59 of the nearly 1,700 voting divisions in Philadelphia. Click on the divisions in the map below for vote totals for those 59 divisions, which also include the vote for president in the 2004 and 2008 elections.
59 out of 1,700? This is something to be alarmed about?

You can still press one button to vote the straight party ticket in Pennsylvania, by the way.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM

12,427 posts, read 3,981,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Keep believing.

There are 66 wards in Philly.

Romney got almost 100,000 votes.

Home

Maybe they (the writers of the article) meant to say he didn't win a district (or 59), rather then he recieved no votes.

But then you wouldn't be talking about it (as a fact).
66 wards and 1,687 precincts within those wards. 59 of those 1,687 went entirely for Obama, and if you look at the stats, in 2008 McCain generally got between 0 and 5 votes in those precincts.

There's no story here.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM

2,751 posts, read 1,207,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Clearly look even at past elections the dependent areas of most states vote democratic.
Surely open disdain of your fellow Americans will be the salvation of the Republican Party.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,451,953 times
oh please, go away. Many of those divisions only have 10 of fewer registered republicans out of a couple hundred people anyway. The newspaper tried to track down the few registered republicans in a few of the divisions and came up empty handed, as those that were on the books had moved away without updating their voting info, or found people who were registered repub but said they were actually dems.

If there aren't any registered republicans in those divisions then why in the world would you expect any votes for Romney?

Those who are throwing around allegations of voter fraud without ANY substantial evidence at all, and simply believe there to be fraud because the vote was so heavily in Obama's favor, just don't want to face the fact that there is a very simple reason why Romney got no votes. It's the same reason why minorities and blacks in particular voted overwhelmingly Obama across the country. It has nothing to do with voter fraud or voter intimidation, and everything to do with the stances of a political party that not only offer nothing to most urban voters, but is downright offensive to urban blacks.

This party is actively trying to vilify these people as the people who are destroying America, Romney himself said so and even said he didn't want nor expected their vote. So why the hell do you think they would give it to him? Do you think these people are stupid? Do you think they don't hear this things?

Growing up in Philly and living here most of my life, I obviously know quite a few black people and I don't think any of my friends were MORE excited about Obama in 2012 as compared to 2008. Obviously with the economy slowly crawling back up, things are better than they were 4 years ago, but Obama has been at least somewhat disappointing considering how much people were excited for him in 2008. Not to mention Obama's new stance on gay marriage, which doesn't really bother any of the black people my age, but sure did rankle a lot of their parents.

But the urge among the black community to get out and vote for Obama definitely seemed a lot stronger than it did in 2008 considering how downright disrespectful those on the right have treated his Presidency. McConnell saying the number one goal was to deny him a second term, all this talk about "taking back our country". It was disgusting, and people were pumped up to get out there and defend their guy. I know I sure was.

So please if you find one single shred of evidence that indicates voter fraud, then you can start talking about a crime occurring. Otherwise just sit back and realize that Romney didn't get any votes because he offers nothing positive to urban blacks, and urban people in general. I mean honestly look at every urban city in America and how strongly they voted for Obama. Just because people voted against your guy doesn't make it crime.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM

14,083 posts, read 3,869,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
You've never been to Philly have you?
Actually some of my friends are form Philly and they voted republican when they lived there.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM

31,308 posts, read 16,556,820 times
There are 1,687 voting precincts in the city of Philadelphia. The fact that Romney didn't receive a single vote in 3.5 percent of the poling places where Romney received a mere 14% of the vote is hardly - dare I say - statistically surprising.

...but then we know the problem that Republicans have with statistics.

I see I was beaten to the punch... but you can never state the facts often enough on C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections