U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
20,098 posts, read 13,506,232 times
Reputation: 14859

Advertisements

Wise kings always kept court jesters around to make them laugh.
... and to remind them of the truth as well. Laugh at nonsense, but listen to the truth. Know the difference between wisdom and foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Austin
758 posts, read 484,813 times
Reputation: 185
Obama didn't get reelected by purging the votes like Bush did in Ohio, nor did he steal the election in 2008 like Bush did in 2000. It's funny how 12 years later, Florida was the most inconsequential state in the equation.

The Republicans ARE in big trouble. If they don't wake up and realize that women, minorities, and gays together make up more than half the population, they might find themselves out of business. If the GOP doesn't catch wind of the fact that 99% of the population isn't wealthy, they may wake up and see themselves on the endangered species list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Austin
758 posts, read 484,813 times
Reputation: 185
Are you also forgetting that Obama didn't just win this election? He whupped Romney's butt. The Democrats also gained more seats in the House and Senate. This was a landslide victory for Obama. Barack Obama won all but one of the swing states this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 05:03 PM
 
6,013 posts, read 6,806,057 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Yes, Obama was elected a 2nd term. But so was Bush. Did that mean the Democrat party was "in trouble" because a Republican was elected a 2nd term?

And I don't care that gay marriage and marijuana was passed in a few states. A few liberal states don't speak for the whole country.
yeah and the same situation the GOP wasnt doing what it was doing now, people elected obama and all of a sudden "america is the most shallowest country on earth"

But back to your stat, its like me seeing everywhere on boards republicans(Assuming conservative) saying "liberals are running scared' OR for the hills wth is that all about now thats funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 PM
 
2,650 posts, read 2,367,682 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Are you also forgetting that Obama didn't just win this election? He whupped Romney's butt. The Democrats also gained more seats in the House and Senate. This was a landslide victory for Obama. Barack Obama won all but one of the swing states this time around.
He didn't win the popular vote by that much, and he BARELY won in a number of states. I wouldn't call that a landslide. Romney was really close in taking those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Austin
758 posts, read 484,813 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
He didn't win the popular vote by that much, and he BARELY won in a number of states. I wouldn't call that a landslide. Romney was really close in taking those states.
He barely won in states full of rednecks who still hate him because he's black and think that he's a Muslim born in Kenya. Those states are full of tea baggers. Surprise, surprise! The good thing is they're also full of women who know there's no such thing as a legitimate rape that's God's will. Barack Obama won more of the popular vote than any Democratic president since FDR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM
 
2,650 posts, read 2,367,682 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
He barely won in states full of rednecks who still hate him because he's black and think that he's a Muslim born in Kenya. Those states are full of tea baggers. Surprise, surprise! The good thing is they're also full of women who know there's no such thing as a legitimate rape that's God's will. Barack Obama won more of the popular vote than any Democratic president since FDR.
Typical liberal argument-"You just hate Obama because he is black!" or "You hate Obama so you are racist!"

Also, Clinton was 9 points ahead of Dole in the popular vote. Obama was only ahead of Romney by 3 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Moderate conservative for Obama.
833 posts, read 539,713 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I like my bubble. I just think we should kill off big bird and PBS...until then, we'll console ourselves by laying off more of you, quit giving to charities, cheat on our taxes more effectively, drive one of our many fine automobiles, live in one of our many fine homes, sleep with the finest gold diggers, vacation and party like its 1999 all the while sheltering our assets offshore and throwing wild parties laughing at the announcements in 2013 and 2014 that mention that taxing the rich is not enough and then laying it on the middle class all the while watching their collectively stunned faces when the realization sets I that they will have to work harder still......

You "won". Whoa, you got me ther....wow, how will we ever get by now? Oh the humanity! Downgrading to a Lexus 4 series.. Well, well get by somehow......see you at the mid terms.....

By the way, how ARE the layoffs going?
The problem with your argument is somehow, you think all the American millionaires/billionaires are republicants. How sad.

I think America will get by just fine and like the description used on terrorists, chop one head and 100 pops up. And so for every one republican elitists going rogue, there'll be a hundred other rich liberal happy enough to get those pundits. So whois fooling who here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
21,070 posts, read 42,413,780 times
Reputation: 14382
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They aren't in trouble "per se" or at all, nor are they "behind on a changing time frame." Nearly half of all those who voted were for Romney, not Obama. And millions of Republicans didn't even vote and if they had, the outcome of this election would have been different. Obama may have gotten 51 percent of the popular vote (and that's IF there was no fraud involved), but that means 49 percent of those who voted think differently.
Fraud, wth are you talking about with fraud? Rampant fraud in the 2000 and 2004 Bush election. The GOP are masters at it.

Hacking Democracy - Full Length - YouTube


Give up the denial, for heaven's sake. Bush was selected for the Presidency in 2000 by the Supreme Court. Gore had 500,000 MORE votes than Bush. In reality, Bush won w/47.9%, Gore lost w/48.4%. Fwiw, Gore won FL, also. Tallahassee paper later uncovered deliberate election fraud wherein the scanners were deliberately programmed NOT to reject provisional ballots which couldn't be read in a heavily Democratic district - amount to thousands of votes. Gore only lost FL by about 500 votes, you know.

When all the votes are counted, Obama will have won by 3%, at least - which is greater than Bush's margin in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and Colorado's margin of victory was VERY close.
Obama didn't need OH, VA, or FL.

Vote margins are:

OH - 1.9% (voter suppression created 200k uncounted provisional ballots, which will increase that to 3%) (Obama didn't need OH)
VA - 2% (Obama didn't need VA)
FL - .9% (Obama didn't need FL)
CO - 4.7% - comfortable margin, hardly close

Bush won by cheating in Ohio, and the swift-boat smear by Karl Rove. Bush won in 2004 with 50.7%/48.3% of the vote, which is about where Obama/Romney are right now. Odd, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Are you also forgetting that Obama didn't just win this election? He whupped Romney's butt. The Democrats also gained more seats in the House and Senate. This was a landslide victory for Obama. Barack Obama won all but one of the swing states this time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
He didn't win the popular vote by that much, and he BARELY won in a number of states. I wouldn't call that a landslide. Romney was really close in taking those states.
Wrong. Romney wasn't close, except in FL. Ohio and VA are at 2%, at least. As it turns out, Obama didn't need ANY of the three to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Obama was only ahead of Romney by 3 points.
Big deal. So, you're saying Bush's win in 2004 was no more a mandate than Obama's? Yet, Bush arrives in Washington saying he's got political capital and he's going to spend it.

Study your history. Bush won in 2004 with 50.7%/48.3% of the vote v. Obama 50.6%/47.8%, with votes yet to be counted. Obama's margin over Romney is greater than Bush's over Kerry.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ele...lts/president/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_2004

Obama received a higher popular vote mandate than Bush and did better electorally 332 EVs. v. Bush 287, as well.

Obama's mandate is better than Bush's in 2004 - especially since the differences in policies between Obama/Romney are so stark.

Face reality. It's painful, but you'll be much better off.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-14-2012 at 03:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Austin
758 posts, read 484,813 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Typical liberal argument-"You just hate Obama because he is black!" or "You hate Obama so you are racist!"

Also, Clinton was 9 points ahead of Dole in the popular vote. Obama was only ahead of Romney by 3 points.
Well none of the racists out there using strawman arguments ever admit to hating Obama because he's black, but racism is alive and well in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top