Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Maryland and Minnesota are far from liberal actually :-P. And while I don't think they are in trouble persay, I think it's obvious they are behind on a changing time frame.
Maryland is liberal,actually. It is and has been run by a democratic governor and democratic general assembly for years, with one exception back in the early 2000`s when they had a one term republican governor. Most of the counties vote republican. However, a few counties vote so overwhelmingly democrat that they always win. Those include PG county, Montgomery county, and of course Baltimore City. Those jurisdictions are heavily populated with people that are dependent on the government...either government workers (maryland being close to D.C. has a high population of government workers) or minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
He didn't win the popular vote by that much, and he BARELY won in a number of states. I wouldn't call that a landslide. Romney was really close in taking those states.
Denial is not your friend, xbox.
Continue to deny and continue to watch the Republican party fall apart.

Obama won the election by a healthy margin in the popular vote, and the electoral vote was a landslide. Neither were close. And that's why the results were all wrapped up so quickly after the results began coming in.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Republicans spent the last 2 years proclaiming Obama the worst President in history. GOP leaders made making Obama a 1 term President there STATED #1 goal. Unemployment was nearly 8%, Obamacare was evidently unpopular, fast and furios was the worlds biggest scandal, enthusiasm for the President was down, voters wouldn't turn out and ALL the conservative pundits and pollsters had Obama going down in flames before.......BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 332 Electoral Votes!!!! 3 million + popular vote drubbing!!Pick ups in the House and Senate, nearly complete rejection of the tea-party.

If you can't beat Obama in the dire situation that YOU ALL laid out then you're in huge trouble. GOP has lost the popular vote 3 of the last 4 Presidential elections. Virignia is Blue, Colorado is Blue, Nevada is Blue, North Carolina is a tossup, Georgia and Arizona will be purple by 2016.

If you all keep living in that bubble and ignoring the trouble that you're actually in, expect many more years of BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3,000,000 lead and growing as every provisional ballot is counted. Don't forget the millions of votes that were not cast becuz of GOP voter suppression and hurricane Sandy related suppression in dem strongholds. In a fair open election Obama would have easily had 10,000,000 more votes.

Add the fact the the GOP gerrymanded house districts in their favor... More dem votes were cast for dem house members.

And with the GOP base dying off, angry old white men, the nation's demographics are against them.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Maryland and Minnesota are far from liberal actually :-P. And while I don't think they are in trouble persay, I think it's obvious they are behind on a changing time frame.
you certainly can't be serious, maybe they aren't the left coast, but they are not far behind...Just ask people who live in either of those states or people who have lived there...and I don't mean kids who aren't even wet behind the ears yet..I mean people who really understand the meaning of liberal versus conservative.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM

758 posts, read 591,000 times
If the Republicans ever want to stay in business, they'd best stop alienating the working class, women, gays, minorities, and all our allies abroad. They need to stop trying to cut the legs off the working class by defunding schools and waging war on every other country that doesn't like us. They need to leave Roe vs. Wade and social security alone because soon all the baby boomers will be retiring. They need to realize that rich white males only make up about 1% of the population.

Basically, they need to look in the mirror and realize that together women, minorities, and gays make up more than half the population and have enough power to make the GOP go extinct. They can't use Allen West as their token black guy anymore now that he's been voted out. If people in all but one of the swing states could read between the lines, they might want to take all this to heart before they find themselves on the endangered species list. The only reason why they still even have control of the House is because of all the gerrymandering.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I think the Republican party needs get out of the abortion and gay talk if 'we' want to win again...doesn't mean we have to support the government paying for abortions or affirmative action. To me the pure "smaller government" stance is to remain neutral or be 'pro-liberty' on these issues.

Let's get back to fiscal conservatism before it's too late.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Yes, Obama was elected a 2nd term. But so was Bush. Did that mean the Democrat party was "in trouble" because a Republican was elected a 2nd term?

And I don't care that gay marriage and marijuana was passed in a few states. A few liberal states don't speak for the whole country.
And Bush did better in his second election -- while Obama did much worse. Obama lost millions of votes from 2008 to 2012.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
Yes, Obama was elected a 2nd term. But so was Bush. Did that mean the Democrat party was "in trouble" because a Republican was elected a 2nd term?

And I don't care that gay marriage and marijuana was passed in a few states. A few liberal states don't speak for the whole country.
You know what makes me laugh? This thread you started, touting a Rasmussen poll (that in itself is amusing) showing Romney leading in Ohio, and your call for liberals to start, and I quote, 'hitting the panic button'.
Latest Rasmussen reports put Romney ahead of Obama in Ohio

That's what makes me laugh!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And Bush did better in his second election -- while Obama did much worse. Obama lost millions of votes from 2008 to 2012.
Hurricane Sandy

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
But it's unpopularity was overcome by the fear that Bush/Cheney pushed- that if we changed administrations in the middle of a war, America was doomed. People bought it for the same reasons Democrats were afraid to stand up TO Bush WHEN he was going to war in Iraq (but Ron Paul was not)- fear.

Americans are sick of war now, so Americans aren't as primed to be manipulated by war mongering neo-cons now, and are more primed to let stances on the various issues make their decision as opposed to "OMG, things are so uncertain with this war and Bin Laden still on the loose, I don't to overturn the applecart in the middle of all that." Now people can actually hold the backwardness of the far right's platform against them. Now demographic clarity can shine a light on backwards, inequitable, and mean-spirited policy.
Good post.

I definitely think that the "fear factor" was a very large factor in Bush gaining a second term despite his rapidly snowballing unpopularity.

The GOP has some major rebuilding to do. Let's hope they see the light and actually build a party that looks forwards not backwards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections