U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 AM

6,722 posts, read 4,262,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

I'll wait for the accurate numbers, you keep thinking that "as seen on TV"=reality. BTW, what happened to the 4.5 to 1 figure. A FACT is a slippery thing, I gather....
You're being childish now. 3 to 1 when ALL presidential spending from all sources, super pacs, candidates, etc. 4.5 to 1 when all outside money is considered, excluding candidate spending. Don't you feel stupid now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM

6,936 posts, read 6,995,027 times
From the Conservative Blog, RedState:
Quote:

Barack Obama won. He won by turning out the most people in a well run campaign. In other words, he won fair and square. … We here at RedState are American citizens. We have no plans to secede from the union. If you do, good luck with that, but this is not the place for you. … Too many people have spent the past four years obsessed with birth certificates. Now they are obsessed with voter fraud conspiracies, talk of secession, and supposed election changing news stories if only we had known. … Even here at RedState, while we may not much care for him, President Obama is still our President and we are still quite happily citizens of the United States. If we must drain this fever swamp that’s taken hold of a few people on the right over this past week before we can drain the swamp in Washington, so be it.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM

18,794 posts, read 13,589,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You're being childish now. 3 to 1 when ALL presidential spending from all sources, super pacs, candidates, etc. 4.5 to 1 when all outside money is considered, excluding candidate spending. Don't you feel stupid now?
Actually yeah, I am feeling stupid right now. Kind of like the farm boy who tangled with the skunk...again. Any reasonably smart person should only have to learn that lesson once.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,563,488 times
Quote:
Supression fits just fine here; look it up:
Suppress - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

There may be other words that are better, but obviously Medved used this word to play off the common Dem meme about vote suppression. Anyway, I suspect these posts are a typical effort to derail into a debate over semantics. This seems to be a common tactic from the left when they can't face the reality of an issue.
The reality is Bubba, you lost. Pot calling the kettle black is a favorite tactic of the fringe right.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,262,644 times
Quote:
Actually yeah, I am feeling stupid right now. Kind of like the farm boy who tangled with the skunk...again. Any reasonably smart person should only have to learn that lesson once.
Yep, bring up medved's bogus nonsense really has you looking bad. You'd think you'd know better.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,563,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
From the Conservative Blog, RedState:
Barack Obama won. He won by turning out the most people in a well run campaign. In other words, he won fair and square. … We here at RedState are American citizens. We have no plans to secede from the union. If you do, good luck with that, but this is not the place for you. … Too many people have spent the past four years obsessed with birth certificates. Now they are obsessed with voter fraud conspiracies, talk of secession, and supposed election changing news stories if only we had known. … Even here at RedState, while we may not much care for him, President Obama is still our President and we are still quite happily citizens of the United States. If we must drain this fever swamp that’s taken hold of a few people on the right over this past week before we can drain the swamp in Washington, so be it.
Wow, something rational and reasonable from the right I actually agree with. Unfortunately the Reps swamp is so deep with paranoia and hate and fear mongering filth it'll take quite a lot of dredging and fumigating to clean it up. I didn't choose to vote for O; the Reps chose for me. I would have voted for Ron Paul but I never got that opportunity. Hopefully Barry Goldwater Reps will rise from the dead and take back the party from the modern day Joe McCarthys. When they finish dredging out the Jesus cultists, gun fetishists, paranoid conspiracy theorists, anti-evolutionists, birthers, anti-abortionist extremists, enviro-haters, angry old white men, maybe that's when we'll get a real choice.

Last edited by geos; 11-15-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,191,123 times
Quote:
Obama

If you want to understand the 2012 presidential election, make sure you read this piece by Michael Medved. Pres. Obama won via voter suppression. All legal, of course.

It's a truism in politics that "negative ads work" but why? Negative ads work by discouraging people from voting, especially swing/independent voters who are probably not political junkies but vote out of a sense of duty, community spirit, etc. I have quite a few friends in this category, and to a person they all said that they hated this election and were glad when it was over. That's how negative ads work.

Pres. Obama got about 7 million fewer votes in 2012 than in 2008, yet still won. Republican and conservative voters did show up to vote, as people like Michael Barone predicted. But the indy/swing voters didn't. Credit where credit is due--Obama, Plouffe, and Axelrod pursued a brilliant strategy, and it worked. Team Obama came up with a winning strategy, just as in 2008, when (according to Hillary Clinton in Game Change) the strategy of Team Obama was: play the race card.

Clever guy, that Obama. He's Lebron, baby.

You are quoting Michael Medved a failed hack movie reviewer now?.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,264,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I see the Cons are on a tin-foil hat parade this week on CD.
Beneath the Tin Foil Hat

Some funny stuff

Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,264,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

You are quoting Michael Medved a failed hack movie reviewer now?.
Actually, I used to really enjoy his "Golden Turkey" books back in the day. They were funny.

But then he went over to the dark side, and now he's supporting turkeys.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM

18,333 posts, read 11,623,382 times
Let me clue some on you in on what constitutes "voter suppression".

In the South of the 50's and 60's Black people were charged a "poll tax" in order to vote, or they were denied that right by simply hanging them from a tree when they demanded the same rights as white people. The voting rights act was passed because of it.

Fast forward to this election, where in Florida, the GOP Legislators and Governor Scott shortened early voting from 2 weeks to 8 days, then simultaneously loaded the ballots with crap to make sure the lines were good and long. In Miami, the ballots were 12 pages long. The longest ballot issue consisted of 650 words, all in legalese.

Only problem, it didn't work. People still turned out in droves, and stood in line for upwards of 8 hours to cast their votes.

THAT'S voter suppression. Negative ads are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or