Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I was irate. I know some libertarians agree with me and others do not.
not to get into this again but there is no way you may consider a corporation equal to an indivdual person.
And therein lies the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And therein lies the problem.
Give me three Democrats, or any three people at random, and put them in a room.

The won't agree on everything, and the nature of our political system is compromise for this reason.

Essentially we need a less government, and a more government party. Let the two hash out the details. Somewhere in the middle is something that everyone can support enough to get it passed.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
It's really refreshing to hear Jindal say this. The Republican party needs to change course, dump the religious right, support choice with regard to abortion. Ditch morons that make stupid comments concerning rape. They also need to figure out how to deal with the criminal alien issue while not alienating legal immigrants. Support real fiscal conservatism, come up with real plans to cut spending (including Defense) and balance the budget.

As BAD is the modern Republican party has become...remember that the Dems are nearly as alienated from the mainstream, and are even less likely to embrace commen sense reforms. As bad as the R ticket and campaign was...Obama won by what, ~1% of the vote? The core can be changed, the Republican party wasn't always the party of the religious right...any more than the Democratic party was always controlled by far-left loons.

BTW, Jindal should have said "Stop being the other stupid party".

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 11-13-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

The won't agree on everything, and the nature of our political system is compromise for this reason.

Essentially we need a less government, and a more government party. Let the two hash out the details. Somewhere in the middle is something that everyone can support enough to get it passed.
you took the words off my fingertips.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Jindal: End 'dumbed-down conservatism' - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

It appears that Bobby Jindal has seized the moment: the first GOP potential presidential candidate to publicly renounce the "old" GOP and call for a new course. His speech ranged widely, but among his recommendations for a New Model GOP, he specifically renounced the anti-intellectualism and bizarre fringe-loony tendencies which have been so much in evidence among GOP candidates and supporters.

This speech will certainly be important, but it will be viewed at least two ways: either as nothing more than preparatory spin laying the foundations for his candidacy in 2016, or else the modern GOP's "Murrow moment", the famous 1954 broadcast by Edward Murrow, when someone finally stood up to the McCarthy-like extremism which has damaged the GOP brand in the latest election.
Thanks for the link. I read it and if there was any reference to "extremism" by Jindal, I missed it. If so it would be problematic, since Jindal is well to the right of most of the 2012 R field. Jindal is a solid conservative.

I keep seeing these references to 'anti-intellectualism' but I'm not seeing it. We just got done with an election where the GOP candidate had a MBA/JD from Harvard. And Paul Ryan is, if anything, more of an intellectual. I heard him say that before he got into politics his ambition had been to get an econ PhD from Univ. of Chgo. Are there undereducated people in the GOP? Sure. There are some in the D party too--my Sen. Patty Murray (D, WA) graduated with a degree in Recreation from WSU.

Maybe Jindal had in mind people like Todd Akin, but people forget that Akin was deluged with demands from fellow R's that he drop out of the race after his stupid remarks.

I do agree with Jindal about the need to address minority voters. Obama got 93%, 73%, and 70% respectively of the black, Asian and Latino vote according to exit polls. That's just about 1/4th of the electorate. The GOP has to fix the perception that they are the party of racism, and I think they can. It's going to take time, however.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:

They don't have to agree on everything. In fact, that plays against liberals and progressives in general as there is less chance of them walking in lockstep. The conservatives are far more disciplined in that regard.

That being said, if you wish to discount impact of abominations like Citizens United ruling, then, you've pretty much accepted failure.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They don't have to be a part of the republican party. They simply need to be there to agree with republicanism, on occasions that demands it.
Bachmann is a good example of EVERYTHING that is wrong with the GOP!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
I found it funny, watching "The men who built America", when they were talking about buying the Presidency. They wanted to get a Republican in, and talking about the Democratic candidate they said "He doesn't even believe in evolution".

My how times have changed.

But I think you're wrong, I think that religious conservatives will still vote for Republicans, because they have no real alternative.
Seeing as the Democratic party used to be conservative, their political/world views don't seem to actually have changed. Merely their name.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Thanks for the link. I read it and if there was any reference to "extremism" by Jindal, I missed it. If so it would be problematic, since Jindal is well to the right of most of the 2012 R field. Jindal is a solid conservative.

I keep seeing these references to 'anti-intellectualism' but I'm not seeing it. We just got done with an election where the GOP candidate had a MBA/JD from Harvard. And Paul Ryan is, if anything, more of an intellectual. I heard him say that before he got into politics his ambition had been to get an econ PhD from Univ. of Chgo. Are there undereducated people in the GOP? Sure. There are some in the D party too--my Sen. Patty Murray (D, WA) graduated with a degree in Recreation from WSU.
Far too much is being read into Jindal's remarks. Unfortunately he's doing a little of the same thing he denounces: simplistic sloganeering (e.g., "anti-intellectualism", "dumbed-down conservatism") in order to appeal to a disaffected segment of liberal Republicans who are in the process of destroying the party.

Quote:
Maybe Jindal had in mind people like Todd Akin, but people forget that Akin was deluged with demands from fellow R's that he drop out of the race after his stupid remarks.
Indeed. Furthermore Akin's remarks, which were easily understood by everyone who gave him a fair listening, were maliciously twisted to mean what he didn't mean and cynically exploited by the right-to-kill lobby.

Quote:
I do agree with Jindal about the need to address minority voters. Obama got 93%, 73%, and 70% respectively of the black, Asian and Latino vote according to exit polls. That's just about 1/4th of the electorate. The GOP has to fix the perception that they are the party of racism, and I think they can. It's going to take time, however.
Well said.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
Default End Dumbed Down Conservatism.

I'm usually not a huge Jindal fan but I think he is right on the money in this article. The GOP can't get by anymore being the party of helping rich folk keep their stuff and dumbing down Conservative economic ideology to bumper stickers and 30 second sound bites. Fiscally conservative policies are attractive to a lot of people...particularly moderates who tend to agree with the left on social policy but the right on economic policy. If we can make our message more moderate on social issues and hold firm on our fiscal policy we WILL attract more voters. The GOP MUST hold the Akins responsible because they do nothing but screw us over in the end.

I've been saying this since the primary season. If we keep letting the Tea Party and Religious wing of the GOP control our political discourse we are going to be as relevant as Nick Lachay.

That can't happen.

Jindal: End 'dumbed-down conservatism' - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections