Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times

Advertisements

If we're lucky these threads will go on for two years and then we can start the next election.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Stayin' out of this one!

I REALLY need to stay out of this one.

Except for; I'm a northerner, now living in the south and voted for Romney.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM

221 posts, read 358,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not a problem. However, I think I should let you in on a little secret that you should already know. Politics in this country is usually rural vs urban. In most states (even your state) the "red" areas takes up far more land areas than those densely populated blue areas. NC is not different. When NC went Blue in 2008, it was only a small minority of urban counties and rural black counties that made it happen. Obviously, our urban counties don't look anything like Chicago, but the same political divide of urban vs rural still exist here. So IMO, you should get out of your "what's up with the south" mentality. The south is simply America's least urbanized region, therefore the south has fewer urban regions to combat the rural conservative south. It is as simple as that. VA, Florida, and NC are the most "urbanized" states in the south (with NC being the newest of the 3). This is why the politics of these southern states can swing either way (the same can be said for Ohio).

urbancharlotte you are awesome !
and yes I voted in 2008 I remember Ohio and NC and Florida
Charlotte is ground zero for me right now
just trying to keep our head above water

Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
You do realize that eventually Democrats will run out of other people's money to give away.....

Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
I hope that the Republicans get someone that the younger people can relate to
and maybe someone that Black and Hispanic people can relate to.
A Republican President that the world likes to.

maybe the Republicans need a female President. I don't know just a thought.
How about not pandering to any specific group and focusing on sincerity?

Oh, right. The American people don't like honest politics. The American people need someone of a certain race with certain genitalia.

Personally, I'd prefer a president that isn't bought and paid for by corporations and who doesn't carry us to a new war every 2 years. A president like that could be a mixed tranny for all I care.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
So I guess Mecklenburg county isn't "Southern" anymore. Note to the OP. You are posting this in a county that voted for Obama nearly 2-1. In other words, 100,000 more folks voted for Obama in Meck than Romney (the highest numerical difference within the state of NC by far, in favor of Obama). Why not post this on the more conservative NC forum?
Not trying to get into an argument over who voted for whom.

The OP asked a question . . . why did Southerners vote for Romney, with the implied sentence being . . . why did the Southerners (who voted for Romney) vote for him (Romney).

They voted for him b/c they felt he would be a better President than Obama.

I guess in MECK more people liked Obama than Romney, lol.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I guess some people in those states on that map are sick and tired of hearing that because
they work just as hard as everyone else why should they be signaled out as deadbeats
When I look at that tax map it clearly shows who pays the most tax and who does not.
so maybe that got the wrong ideas about Romney after what he said on video tape.
Maybe since you are not a Southerner you have not one clue how at least a portion of Southerners feel about taxes, taxation, entitlements, unions, healthcare accessibility, the military, and the federal government and politics, in general.

Now, that is in no way an admonition. I am just throwing that out there for you to consider.

I might add: There are many people who agreed 100% with Romney's statement about the 47% of folks who were not going to vote for him, no matter what he said or did. And btw - listen to that whole tape - not the edited version of it. Everyone knew going into this election that there was a portion of the public who would not have voted for Romney had he proven he was the Savior of the Universe. Get real.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-13-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 03:13 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
53% of all babies born in the last 10 years were under the medicaid program umbrella, so essentially we are breeding dependency and soon those who can afford to have kids without government subsidy will no longer be able to.

We are seriously past the point of no return and there are no solutions. It is also irresponsible to promise people that these benefits will continue forever, because they won't and will end abruptly when we can no longer monetize or sell our debt to others.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM

221 posts, read 358,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
If we're lucky these threads will go on for two years and then we can start the next election.
The way this thread is rockin it may just go on 4 more years

Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The way this thread is rockin it may just go on 4 more years
I sincerely doubt it.

Here's the thing . . . you think you are going to ask a question on a forum that will reveal to you the inner workings of the minds of Southerners (at least a portion of them) . . . something demographers have been trying to do for decades, and usually with dismally laughable results.

Bless your heart. Sincerely. Cause you aren't going to get the answer here on this forum, or sitting around talking with your coworkers, or asking your neighbors once you move here (most of whom are not going to be Southerners, anyway).

You will be just as clueless (and like so many others - THINK you know what you don't have a clue about) in four years, whether this thread is alive and kicking or part of some computer cloud's archives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections