U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,140,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are plenty of folks on TEMPORARY entitlement programs who damn dearly despise being put in that position. And they blame the federal government for it. They are not "welfare queens." They are desperate folks trying to hold their family's together and they are upset about trade policies that led to their losing their jobs.

I know these folks and believe me, they want things turned around - and their jobs back. And they didn't see Obama as the person to do that. So they voted for Romney.

You are very out of touch with the people around you if you think everyone on a subsistence program is an Obama supporter or that they must be nuts if they aren't -- which IS what you implied.
There are many more people who are not on subsistence programs who are lumped into those 47% of people that Romney talked about. That's my point. Lots of people in that group wised up to Romney's real meaning, particularly in the non-Southern states where presidential politics is less tied up in emotions like race and religion.

The EITC is not a temporary program, it's a tax break. Many North Carolina teachers qualify for it. Because of it, they likely don't pay any federal taxes. They are hard-working people and now this silver-spooned vulture capitalist calls them unproductive leeches in a closed-door meeting while speaking out of a different side of his mouth in public. You really think that didn't hurt him?

Private sector job growth under Obama has gone up. The unemployment rate is going down. If you invested in the market in March 2009, you've doubled your money. When you look at the facts, it's not rocket science why Obama won.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Sorry, no. I do not claim the EITC - never have.

As I stated, I take care of myself. I don't receive nor do I expect any entitlements.
So you've always made more than $41,000 a year even as a young single mother? Fascinating.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM

2,680 posts, read 3,883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
So you've always made more than $41,000 a year even as a young single mother? Fascinating.
You must not have read my post.

I said I have been a single mother for over 10 years - I never said I was young!
And yes, I have ALWAYS (at least during the last 28 years) made more than $41,000/year.
Curious why you find that so fascinating...

Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,916,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I might add: There are many people who agreed 100% with Romney's statement about the 47% of folks who were not going to vote for him, no matter what he said or did.
I don't agree with the percentage (47%) but I agree with the sentiment. There is a sizable percentage of the population whose "votes are for sale" because they'll vote for whoever provides a better payout. Of course, this is true for many poor folks on welfare but it is also true for many businesses on corporate welfare.

And yes, many agreed with the sentiment of Romney's statement:

Poll: Are Many Americans Too Dependent on Government?* - U.S. Election 2012 - CNBC

Old 11-13-2012, 04:41 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
Quote:
There are many more people who are not on subsistence programs who are lumped into those 47% of people that Romney talked about. That's my point. Lots of people in that group wised up to Romney's real meaning, particularly in the non-Southern states where presidential politics is less tied up in emotions like race and religion.

The EITC is not a temporary program, it's a tax break. Many North Carolina teachers qualify for it. Because of it, they likely don't pay any federal taxes. They are hard-working people and now this silver-spooned vulture capitalist calls them unproductive leeches in a closed-door meeting while speaking out of a different side of his mouth in public. You really think that didn't hurt him?

Private sector job growth under Obama has gone up. The unemployment rate is going down. If you invested in the market in March 2009, you've doubled your money. When you look at the facts, it's not rocket science why Obama won.
you are addressing this to me . . . why?

I know all this.

I do not need you to educate me, my friend.

Romney did not call these folks leeches. Give me a break. Did you help write the twisted commercials that the Obama people put out? I am starting to wonder.

I am not interested in debating politics with anyone here.

The OP asked "why did folks in the South vote for Romney."

Many of us have given answers.

Some of the rebuttals indicate that there are people who think we Southerners are too stupid to know why a portion of us voted for Romney. I mean - really.

The reason the vast majority of voters supported Romney is b/c of job loss and belief that Romney would have new solutions to that problem. In essense, they simply liked Romney's policies and ideas better than Obama's.

It is not like Obama got some huge margin ("mandate") with his thin little win. I remind myself that whatever party a person may support, 1/2 the country doesn't agree with them.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
You must not have read my post.

I said I have been a single mother for over 10 years - I never said I was young!
And yes, I have ALWAYS (at least during the last 28 years) made more than $41,000/year.
Curious why you find that so fascinating...
When you claim single mother status, it's typically to claim some kind of hardship. Most single mothers don't make that much and that is why they get the EITC. Again, the EITC is not an entitlement, it's a tax break. I'm sure you've taken your share of those.

Romney was lumping in all hard working people who make less than that into his 47% comment.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM

221 posts, read 290,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Romney simply meant that he had to concern himself with the voters whose minds were not yet made up - instead of wasting energy, resources and time on those who suckle from the government teat and will never voluntarily give that up.

Trust me, Romney and all fiscal conservatives, definitely "worry" about that group.
just looking at the map on my OP,
I'm trying to figure out who those people are that he is referring to
it looks to me that the states in RED pay the least, now why would those people vote for him after
he said that about them ? I worked hard and paid my taxes my whole life so Romney can kiss my butt.
I'm not one of those deadbeats and I don't like him saying that about hard working middle class people.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Romney was lumping in all hard working people who make less than that into his 47% comment.
Coped, just stop it. That is not what Romney meant. We get it, you are a partisan Democrat who views himself as more enlightened than anyone else on this forum. We get it.

Your team won the election. There's no more need for twisting Romney's words. There's also no need to be a bad winner. I've been surprised to see the kick-him-when-he's-down vitriol all over the web after the election - quite a "sore loser's" mentality from the winning team.

It really makes we wonder, what are these people like in real life?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
just looking at the map on my OP,
I'm trying to figure out who those people are that he is referring to
it looks to me that the states in RED pay the least, now why would those people vote for him after
he said that about them ? I worked hard and paid my taxes my whole life so Romney can kiss my butt.
I'm not one of those deadbeats and I don't like him saying that about hard working middle class people.
Again, he didn't use the word "deadbeat" and he was most certainly not talking about "hard working middle class people" in a way that disparaged them.

You are entitled to your opinions, but you can't put words in other people's mouths.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are entitled to your opinions, but you can't put words in other people's mouths.
Sure you can, entire political campaigns are based on this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or