Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM

62,875 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Note that you did not answer my question. Don't you think that you should be sure before you level the accusation of racism?

'Barack the Magic Negro' came from a black, gay, LA Times writer named David Ehrenstein.
Obama the 'Magic Negro' - latimes.com

It's actually quite an insightful article that everyone should read. But he came up with the phrase. Limbaugh did a parody song about it. It was just an attempt to make a point about lefty identity politics. Nothing racist about it. If you say that Limbaugh was racist in doing the parody, then you have to conclude that Ehrenstein was racist as well. Do you think that?

What you and so many other lefties do is take a superficial juxtaposition of words, and conclude: racism. That's not what racism is though.

You may not like Limbaugh's politics. I don't like Ehrenstein's politics. But let's not confuse matters by calling them racists when they are not. Let's go after their political views. In short, let's put a little honesty back into the discussion.
Honesty, are you kidding me? Without the race card what would the left have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,594,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Honesty, are you kidding me? Without the race card what would the left have?
The Presidency, The Senate and probably the House in a couple of years.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Note that you did not answer my question. Don't you think that you should be sure before you level the accusation of racism?

'Barack the Magic Negro' came from a black, gay, LA Times writer named David Ehrenstein.
Obama the 'Magic Negro' - latimes.com

It's actually quite an insightful article that everyone should read. But he came up with the phrase. Limbaugh did a parody song about it. It was just an attempt to make a point about lefty identity politics. Nothing racist about it. If you say that Limbaugh was racist in doing the parody, then you have to conclude that Ehrenstein was racist as well. Do you think that?

What you and so many other lefties do is take a superficial juxtaposition of words, and conclude: racism. That's not what racism is though.

You may not like Limbaugh's politics. I don't like Ehrenstein's politics. But let's not confuse matters by calling them racists when they are not. Let's go after their political views. In short, let's put a little honesty back into the discussion.

I'm tired of this BS response from his defenders on that, it's as strong as a 100 pound weakling So, if someone who's Latino, called Alberto Gonzales "Gonzales the Magic Ese" and Ed Schultz played a song like that with a Mexican sounding man "singing it" that would be ok?
You just got owned, if you think that's ok, so just go away

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Ask the racists, like Steve King, Michelle Bachmann, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, George Allen and Sarah Palin, to LEAVE your party and start their own party?!
I hardly ever hear anyone from the GOP, say something like, a couple of my GOP leaning friends have said (when I point out racism in the GOP) "Well, we just need to stand up and tell people like that, that they are unwelcome in the party".
Way too often though, the GOP either is silent when someone in their party says something racially stupid or when there's a potential hate crime, like Zimmerman, are so quick to defend the one who may have acted in a racially biased matter.
Having Bill O'Reilly, as a prominent figure in the conservative movement, with some of the nasty stuff he has said (the White Christian way of life is threatened), come on, ask him to leave or tell him to shut up, instead of having the "left" do it.
So, GOP, do that instead, ask that instead! As long as you keep on welcoming the Steve King like folks in the party, you won't gain enough of the "brown" or LGBT vote to win elections, in spite of your 3 percents, like Cain (he had no chance in hell of winning the GOP nomination, come on, the South would have never allowed that), Rice or Jihndal.
In all seriousness though, if Colin Powell ran in 2000 and got the nomination, even if he lost, we might not be having this discussion. However, he may have had enough support, from Independents or Democrats, to counter the Steve King or Bubba white men racists, who would never vote for a black man, no matter what.
why are you saying these are rasists? You have no clue, plus why don't you just let us decide what is right for us. We aren't talking about what is wrong nearly as much as you are trying to tell us what we are doing wrong. How about checking, for instance, the outcome on NM last week. Check to see how many state reps were elected with Rs next to their name, including how many defeated incumbant with Ds next to their names, they check the last name of these newly elected state representatives?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Um, no, what Limbaugh said s nothing at all what Juan Williams or Bill Cosby said. What Bill Cosby said is that there are *some* black people who are committing crimes, dropping out of schools, and so forth. And Juan Williams said that he gets nervous if he sees young black men, in a group, dressed in a certain way, at night, walking down the street.

What Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, and other republicans say, is that *all*, or at least the vast majority, of black people hate America, love foodstamps, want free things, and so on. And that is racism.

Here's what you guys don't get. We don't really care if you run from the five young black guys who spot you and then start moving towards you with grins on their faces. Those guys will rob you. Those guys rob *us* all the damn time. The problem is, you guys act the same way when you see a black guy wearing a suit, carrying a briefcase, getting on the office elevator with you.
First off, I think you're confusing Juan Williams with Jesse Jackson. I don't recall Williams ever saying that he "gets nervous" in the presence of young black men. Jesse Jackson did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Jackson
“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery — then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.â€
Juan Williams wrote an excellent book about the issues that Limbaugh raises in his rant, entltled "Enough." You should read it.

Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America--and What We Can Do About It: Juan Williams: 9780307338242: Amazon.com: Books

He, and Bill Cosby, make many of the same points that Limbaugh makes.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Ask the racists, like Steve King, Michelle Bachmann, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, George Allen and Sarah Palin, to LEAVE your party and start their own party?!
I hardly ever hear anyone from the GOP, say something like, a couple of my GOP leaning friends have said (when I point out racism in the GOP) "Well, we just need to stand up and tell people like that, that they are unwelcome in the party".
Way too often though, the GOP either is silent when someone in their party says something racially stupid or when there's a potential hate crime, like Zimmerman, are so quick to defend the one who may have acted in a racially biased matter.
Having Bill O'Reilly, as a prominent figure in the conservative movement, with some of the nasty stuff he has said (the White Christian way of life is threatened), come on, ask him to leave or tell him to shut up, instead of having the "left" do it.
So, GOP, do that instead, ask that instead! As long as you keep on welcoming the Steve King like folks in the party, you won't gain enough of the "brown" or LGBT vote to win elections, in spite of your 3 percents, like Cain (he had no chance in hell of winning the GOP nomination, come on, the South would have never allowed that), Rice or Jihndal.
In all seriousness though, if Colin Powell ran in 2000 and got the nomination, even if he lost, we might not be having this discussion. However, he may have had enough support, from Independents or Democrats, to counter the Steve King or Bubba white men racists, who would never vote for a black man, no matter what.
why are you saying these are rasists? You have no clue, plus why don't you just let us decide what is right for us. We aren't talking about what is wrong nearly as much as you are trying to tell us what we are doing wrong. How about checking, for instance, the outcome on NM last week. Check to see how many state reps were elected with Rs next to their name, including how many defeated incumbant with Ds next to their names, they check the last name of these newly elected state representatives?

You mention Zimmerman, the trail has not started, in case you don't know a person is innocent until proven guilty. What about OJ, was the decision influenced in some way by the color of the jury? Of course you will say no...What about Powell? Most of us would love to have seen him run in 2000, he chose not to, for reasons only he and his family know.

You are talking about color, I am sure Jindal will be happy to know he isn't white, what is he then? BTW, he is very popular in the south, as well as throughout the USA. Will he run for Pres? Probably not, but it has nothing to do with his family background.

I am guessing you are about as racist as they come, otherwise you wouldn't keep posting these types of posts. Now, why not let us decide what we need to win in 2016. We don't need you to help us, thank you!!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Are most Republicans racist? No.
However, do most racists follow the Republican Party? Yes.
Racism, doesn't mean, "I'm not burning crosses, I"m not a racist!".
when you make comments like you did in the other post, it is pretty hard to cliam you are not a bigot...especially when you keep posting the same type of posts...

Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well, so far, not one Republican, has come up with what would be the smarter response, to win elections, as this country becomes more minority. All they do is get in a hissy fit, like this post, when someone tells the truth of what they (or way too many of them) are.
It's good strategy, but, too many GOP leaders, don't want to turn off the racists, mostly in the South, that have come to embrace them!
Not that there have been too many incidents, but, the few times, when you have someone who leans left (I'd have to do some serious digging) that does something racially stupid, they are give holy hell by the "left". When someone on the right does the same thing, it's either dealt with by silence or, even defended, by the right.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Republicans, instead of ranting and pointing out how you need to attract more minorities, why don't you?

The only people I see ranting are dems. I don't see a single Republican ranting about anything.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

You mention Zimmerman, the trail has not started, in case you don't know a person is innocent until proven guilty. What about OJ, was the decision influenced in some way by the color of the jury? Of course you will say no...What about Powell? Most of us would love to have seen him run in 2000, he chose not to, for reasons only he and his family know.

You are talking about color, I am sure Jindal will be happy to know he isn't white, what is he then? BTW, he is very popular in the south, as well as throughout the USA. Will he run for Pres? Probably not, but it has nothing to do with his family background.

I am guessing you are about as racist as they come, otherwise you wouldn't keep posting these types of posts. Now, why not let us decide what we need to win in 2016. We don't need you to help us, thank you!!
Keep on swinging and missing. I don't deny that you have people like Jindhal, Cain and Rice, ok.
But you have way too many people like Santorum, Bachmann, Beck, O'Reilly and King.
You tolerate them, instead of telling them to get the F out! But the GOP doesn't want to? I wonder why? NOT. Anyone that doesn't know the reason, is a fool, and the GOP better wake up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections