U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM

69,701 posts, read 80,044,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pull-EEZ!

Ron Paul wasn't even running for president.

He was on a PR campaign to build name recogition for his no-count son.
How seldom I agree with you but you hit it this time. I said that all the way through the primaries, had he gotten the nomination he would have said "Holy Sh#%, what now) well something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 PM

758 posts, read 479,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Yes it is- Rand Paul's way. Make it contingent upon the behaviors of the governments which are receiving the aid. Act like an ally and not an adversary or else- no aid to your government. That is completely feasible.

And how is it exactly that people who can't stand welfare to Americans can so happily cheer for American welfare to other nations? What, folks are all for welfare as long as it's not Americans who are getting it?
Wrong Rand, dude. I think you mean Ayn Rand.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 PM

113 posts, read 83,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
It's conservative to be a strong anti-abortionist, against gay rights, and to deregulate businesses and even allow them to discriminate against minorities. Don't let those other dispositions fool you. Most of those "liberal" ideas Paul has Obama already proposed. It's also conservative to disband FEMA, AmeriCorps, FEMA, and other social programs. Social Security has a $2.7 trillion surplus which the GOP cut funding for to fund the damn war.

Ron Paul also wanted to privatize it and let Wall Street gamble with everyone's retirement once again. Barack Obama has been wanting to shut GTMO as well, but Congress won't let him. Ron Paul like Mitt Romney will tell the constituents what they want to hear, but the guy is inept when push comes to shove. He'd been in Congress 30-plus years and only got one piece of legislation passed.
You are truly ignorant of a lot of things. Obama proposed those ideas I'm talking about? Let's go through the list. Pull all troops out of the Middle East, no. Legalize all drugs, no. Pardon all nonviolent prisoners, no, and he doesn't need Congress to do that! He obviously does not oppose the Patriot Act as he signed the extension. Obama could have shut down Guantanamo without Congress. He does not oppose E-Verify. So you're just wrong. He's to the left of Obama on those issues. Certainly on war, and to some that's the most important issue.

It is conservative to shut down those agencies, so what? Why should people in states with relatively few natural disasters subsidize those with a lot? Especially richer states like NY and NJ? Why should poor people subsidize flood insurance for rich people who live on the beach? Ron Paul has never said he wanted to "privatize" Social Security in the way you're talking about. He wants people to be able to opt out of it. As a young person who has 0 chance of seeing any Social Security money, I would love to opt out.

The GOP cut funding for Social Security, I agree. So did Democrats. The SS Trust Fund has had the money stolen out of it for a long time. And who cut the payroll tax? That would be Obama. Now, I agree with that move, but that was exactly what you said, cutting money to Social Security.

And Obama is still spending a whole lot of money on the military. At least double what Paul would spend. So blame the GOP all you want, Paul's not really a Republican anyway. He would save a lot more money than Obama on that.

Quote:
Ending the Department of Education, for example, (as opposed to revamping it to maximize its return) means America choosing NOT to invest in education, which that investment is the single biggest thing which will help us be globally competitive in the future.
The Department of Education started in 1979. Would you say education has gotten better or worse since then? It has helped to do one thing really well, though. Pushed up college tuition to such a high level that there's 1 trillion dollars in student debt. What a success.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,229,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
The Department of Education started in 1979. Would you say education has gotten better or worse since then? It has helped to do one thing really well, though. Pushed up college tuition to such a high level that there's 1 trillion dollars in student debt. What a success.
It became a cabinet level Department in 1979, it has been around in one form or another since 1865.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM

69,701 posts, read 80,044,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It became a cabinet level Department in 1979, it has been around in one form or another since 1865.
Making it a cabinet level position changed things, but you are partially right, it had been around for many years. Still there is a huge difference and it is one dept that should be dismantled. Of course that will not happen..Education belongs at the state and local level...

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,410,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Wrong Rand, dude. I think you mean Ayn Rand.
Actually the Rand who is a senator from Kentucky just said on CNN within the past month or so that international aid should be tied to international behavior and if they don't act like an ally, don't give them money. I know Ayn Rand looks like a dude and all, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't her talking on the CNN cameras on the grounds of the US Capitol.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM

11,394 posts, read 8,954,153 times
I like Ron Paul... but there was no way he was going to beat Obama. The guy is old as dirt and he is way too blunt when it comes to politics.

he also has problems with racism in a newsletter he used to print up. Hannity kept it in the news for a few days... the GOP are awesome at eating their own.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM

24,004 posts, read 10,160,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How seldom I agree with you but you hit it this time. I said that all the way through the primaries, had he gotten the nomination he would have said "Holy Sh#%, what now) well something like that.
Uninformed and those with a twisted agenda would think that. He knows his policies inside and out and has never been afraid to discuss the issues. He's the informed person. He's one of those who warned us to not manipulate the free market in the housing industry or a boom followed by a bust will occur. And it did. He was the one of those who warned us our foreign policy would make us less safe. And it did.
He's not the one making race, or sex, or if a dog is on a car roof the issue. He is the one who makes the issue, the issue.
But those who support the status quo will of course shy away from discussing the issues and the policies surrounding those issues, since the policies they back have failed time and time again.
It's time people woke up.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM

11,394 posts, read 8,954,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Uninformed and those with a twisted agenda would think that. He knows his policies inside and out and has never been afraid to discuss the issues. He's the informed person. He's one of those who warned us to not manipulate the free market in the housing industry or a boom followed by a bust will occur. And it did. He was the one of those who warned us our foreign policy would make us less safe. And it did.
He's not the one making race, or sex, or if a dog is on a car roof the issue. He is the one who makes the issue, the issue.
But those who support the status quo will of course shy away from discussing the issues and the policies surrounding those issues, since the policies they back have failed time and time again.
It's time people woke up.
Paul tells it like it is... and people are scared of that. They don't want the truth... and I'm talking about politicians. Paul would cut off the money to a lot of politicians and audit the Federal Reserve...

no way that happens. The last guy to tell it like it is didn't get to finish his term.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,506,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i support ron paul, but i do not actually believe that he would have won the election against either mainstream candidate. my goal for this election was for him to get enough votes and enough screen time that people would begin to understand what he actually wants to reform, and that they might wake up and realize how corrupt and ineffective the system is.

maybe in a few decades the system will have loosened up a bit, but right now the democratic and republican parties have a stranglehold on everything and they are fighting dirty to keep it that way. the libertarian party didn't even get the 5% that they would need to get a head start in 2016. maybe someday, but not anytime soon.
I don't believe we know how many voted 3rd party, it's not like our votes were counted or announced. I doubt if any votes counted for much, the game was rigged from the getgo.
How did the military vote? We'll never know, the absentees didn't make it on time - AGAIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or