U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM

11,973 posts, read 14,501,453 times

Advertisements

I happen to believe Jon Huntsman would have had a better chance. And Paul might have given him a better run for his money. But there is the primary meat grinder that everyone needs to endure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,834,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I happen to believe Jon Huntsman would have had a better chance. And Paul might have given him a better run for his money. But there is the primary meat grinder that everyone needs to endure.
huntsman would have been clobbered for his corporate ties, his chemical company, and his china connections.

the media goes into attack mode on any of those issues.

hypocritical, of course, but there it is.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM

19,712 posts, read 11,117,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
logically, why ron paul could have won:

he would have received the republican vote because most don't like obama's anti business policies at all.

he would have received some of the democratic vote because some democrats still don't like wars, loss of freedom, or big in-your-face government-particularly younger voters.

he would have received some independent votes because he was not a fan of illegal immigration or foreign aid, and would have put america first.

he would have received the vote of those who don't like obamacare and what that is going to represent in terms of job losses going forward.

he would have received more of the jobless vote this time, simply because there are more of them.

but, of course, it's too late for that now.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM

i am not sure that anybody could really have beaten obama and the terrible economy, because people feel needy/desperate now.

the republicans can win this NEEDY thing by promising the middle class more tax cuts and more money in their pockets --and making the democrats the bad guys if they won't give them.

these are tough times and people should have more money back, shouldn't they?

do you like that idea?

we will see who is for the average american-if anybody in government is, that is.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM

69,747 posts, read 80,110,186 times
Quote:
huntsman would have been clobbered for his corporate ties, his chemical company, and his china connections.

the media goes into attack mode on any of those issues.

hypocritical, of course, but there it is.
exactly: some people just seem to like him without really knowing what he stands for or who he really is: I do think he is darn good looking and has a great looking family, but after that, he offers nothing...in my opinion.The only way a Republican could have won would be, if the candidate dripped with charm and really offered something new and exciting...

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM

11,395 posts, read 8,961,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
exactly: some people just seem to like him without really knowing what he stands for or who he really is: I do think he is darn good looking and has a great looking family, but after that, he offers nothing...in my opinion.The only way a Republican could have won would be, if the candidate dripped with charm and really offered something new and exciting...
Once again... the "voters don't know what he stands for" is hilarious... I think Romney was the one with this problem. Obama was consistent and had a clear message.

Romney didn't do a good job of communicating IMO.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 PM

that is the point exactly. obama did have a clear message and it was "forward, and screw the taxpaying working citizens".

i see bernanke is on a tear again, with today's fed announcement:
(quote)
Inflation has been running somewhat below the Committee’s longer-run objective, apart from temporary variations that largely reflect fluctuations in energy prices.

so bend over americans, because you refuse to wake from your deep slumber. how many of us really think that inflation is LOW?

we have a bunch of jackasses leading this country, doing their very best to destroy it. if romney had been elected, at least we would have gotten rid of one (or 2 ) of the jackasses-because he promised to retire bernanke.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM

19,712 posts, read 11,117,211 times
Quote:
that is the point exactly. obama did have a clear message and it was "forward, and screw the taxpaying working citizens".
That's preposterous. Spinning the message, "the rich should pay more taxes," your way is like a bread company's motto being "our bread gets moldy faster," instead of "no added preservatives."

I hope you get over the fact that Obama won because he is made the better case to Americans, and that's what democracy is about.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's preposterous. Spinning the message, "the rich should pay more taxes," your way is like a bread company's motto being "our bread gets moldy faster," instead of "no added preservatives."

I hope you get over the fact that Obama won because he is made the better case to Americans, and that's what democracy is about.
so you are okay with higher inflation on purpose via bernanke? you don't seem very compassionate towards your fellow citizens for a liberal.

i am all for the very rich paying more taxes, especially that POC warren buffett, but i can show you what will happen with an example. gerard depardieu (an excellent actor in france) is leaving france because france has raised the tax rate and moving to belgium.

the french leaders are all upset at the example that he is setting-but how could they not have expected that?

i ask the same question of our leaders, and can't wait until the first liberal leaves when the tax rate goes up. it will be interesting to see how our leaders handle that.

so bring it, and we will see how it plays out.

in the meantime, the republicans should show that they have just as much "compassion" as the democrats and start bills to LOWER tax rates, essentially forcing the democrats to make the cuts that need to be made-because everybody knows that we can cut a LOT of waste before we have to touch even one social program-and anybody who says otherwise is lying.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM

755 posts, read 615,607 times
Quote:
so you are okay with higher inflation on purpose via bernanke? you don't seem very compassionate towards your fellow citizens for a liberal.

i am all for the very rich paying more taxes, especially that POC warren buffett, but i can show you what will happen with an example. gerard depardieu (an excellent actor in france) is leaving france because france has raised the tax rate and moving to belgium.

the french leaders are all upset at the example that he is setting-but how could they not have expected that?

i ask the same question of our leaders, and can't wait until the first liberal leaves when the tax rate goes up. it will be interesting to see how our leaders handle that.

so bring it, and we will see how it plays out.
Moderate inflation is a normal part of a market economy. Deflation, on the other hand, is absolutely toxic. Bernanke has been careful to make sure we don't slip into deflation, a situation from which it is very difficult to emerge.

Yes, moderate inflation is preferable, and vastly so, to prices toeing the deflationary line. But it is clear you don't even comprehend even these rudimentary aspects of economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or