U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Reputation: 7449

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm not talking about going in there and being disruptive. I'm simply talking about going in there for service, but I'm just black. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I bait people into a confrontation, but whatever. Alot of business owners probably aren't discriminating because they are afraid of legal action taken against them.

Then if you can't see the discrimination, then you wouldn't even know that they're doing it. And unfortunately, you CANNOT control someone's personal thoughts. Unless you think that you're the thought police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,492,484 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
More like selling the idea of getting our federal budget back to good shape and paying down our debt, the idea of getting government out of the way of how people live their lives, whether they want to marry somebody that somebody else doesn't approve of or whether they want to smoke a joint which is less harmful than the nicotene that is currently allowed to be ingested via cigarettes, or the idea that America shouldn't be the world police force, that other nations need to step up to the plate and handle their own regional security- those are ideas that make sense.

Ron Paul defends his policies on stage against Republicans all the time in the primaries, and doesn't get run off the stage. They are so afraid of his policies in fact, that they try to run him out of the convention where he has earned delegates and earned the right to speak. Ron Paul has been on stage with many presidential candidates on many occasions advocating for his libertarian policies, and hasn't been run off the stage yet. I see you are one for exaggeration.
Tell me again, how did he do in the primaries, or gary johnson, how did that 5% work out for him. That's what I mean being run off the stage. Ron Paul has been speaking that nonsense for 35 years, and hasn't come close to being elected. Nobody wants some pure fictional society that libertarians have created in their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,001,037 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
But the sheeple were too stupid to see it.
Ron Paul chooses to be a republican, and gets what he deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Or maybe because your idea of how our society would function is pure fantasy and that your guys come off as wackos. I actually had two libertarians tell me we should privatize all public schools and if parents couldn't afford them, they should send their kids to the library to read books to get an education. If that isn't bat **** crazy, I don't know what is.

But, not all libertarians think alike. And you can make the same case for democrats and republicans. Yes that it is a bit on the crazy side. I have no issue with parents who do want to homeschool though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,492,484 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Then if you can't see the discrimination, then you wouldn't even know that they're doing it. And unfortunately, you CANNOT control someone's personal thoughts. Unless you think that you're the thought police.
I don't care about changing somebody's thoughts. You want to be racist, go be racist on your own time. If you want to be a member of the KKK on the weekends, go knock yourself out. When you are running a business in this society, you should be to control yourself for a couple of hours. If you can't, that is a you problem. I can't stand the KKK, but if I ran a business and they came in, and didn't act like idiots, I should be able to service them, and I can keep my emotions in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
More like selling the idea of getting our federal budget back to good shape and paying down our debt, the idea of getting government out of the way of how people live their lives, whether they want to marry somebody that somebody else doesn't approve of or whether they want to smoke a joint which is less harmful than the nicotene that is currently allowed to be ingested via cigarettes, or the idea that America shouldn't be the world police force, that other nations need to step up to the plate and handle their own regional security- those are ideas that make sense.

Ron Paul defends his policies on stage against Republicans all the time in the primaries, and doesn't get run off the stage. They are so afraid of his policies in fact, that they try to run him out of the convention where he has earned delegates and earned the right to speak. Ron Paul has been on stage with many presidential candidates on many occasions advocating for his libertarian policies, and hasn't been run off the stage yet. I see you are one for exaggeration.

Keep going. You're on a roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,492,484 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
But, not all libertarians think alike. And you can make the same case for democrats and republicans. Yes that it is a bit on the crazy side. I have no issue with parents who do want to homeschool though.
I'm not against home school either, but being forced to do it because you can't afford to send your child to school is crazy. Here is the problem, you say that not all libertarians are alike, but guess what, in an election, you guys will get all lumped together. How do you think romney lost, that tea party screwed him over because they are associated with the republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 9,642,118 times
Reputation: 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I don't care about changing somebody's thoughts. You want to be racist, go be racist on your own time. If you want to be a member of the KKK on the weekends, go knock yourself out. When you are running a business in this society, you should be to control yourself for a couple of hours. If you can't, that is a you problem. I can't stand the KKK, but if I ran a business and they came in, and didn't act like idiots, I should be able to service them, and I can keep my emotions in check.

Cool. And no I'm not racist. I have no use for the KKK or any other hate group such as the NBP! But provided that the kept their mouth shut, I like you would service them. And again, most businesses in my neck of the woods aren't discriminating against people of color. Jeez, you make it sound like they have signs up saying "colored people are only allowed in on such and such day" or have restrooms labeled "whites only" or "colored only." It simply isn't happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,492,484 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Keep going. You're on a roll.
how is that person on a roll? Ron Paul and Gary johnson got destroyed in the primaries and the election. They spoke their message, and nobody wanted what they were selling. You guys couldn't even get 5%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
1,991 posts, read 3,397,919 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Tell me again, how did he do in the primaries,
Well enough to not get run off the stage advocating his polcies, and well enough to pick up Republican delegates to the Convention, which you were the one insisting that a Libertarian candidate would get run off the stage.

I already said a Libertarian would not do well and stated why. You were the one overreaching off into lala land with bogus conclusions about a libertarian being run off the stage, clearly having no concept of mental processing of the history of Ron Paul's NOT being run off the stage when he has been able to advocate his policies to be compared to other presidential candidates'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
or gary johnson, how did that 5% work out for him. That's what I mean being run off the stage.
You are conflating voting results with defensibility of a political position. A politician can make a reasoned defense of his positions and not succeed at the ballot box. It happens all the time. There is a HUGE difference between not succeeding at the ballot box and not making reasoned arguments concerning your positions. Sometimes candidates DON'T make well reasoned arguments, like my government will create 12 million jobs but government doesn't create jobs, or like I'm for small government but I want government all up in the middle of people's personal decisions- but Ron Paul WAS NOT weak and unreasoned in defending his positions. Gary Johnson was a no-name. Heck I followed the process and I didn't know who the heck Johnson really was. Bottom line- underperforming in a election does not mean you got run off the stage in a reasoned defending of your policy positions. It simply means the voters like another option better. You have to actually look AT the arguments themselves and them BEING presented to analyze and determine if they are rational and capable of reasoned defense.

You calling it nonsense speaks to your inaccurate and bogus argument that somehow the positions don't stand up to rational thought and reason and that THAT is why a libertarian would not be successful at the ballot box. Well the positions DO stand up to rational thought and reason, thus your theory is bogus. So when I point out THAT your theory of libertarian policies being irrational is bogus, you move to conflate ballot box results with rational thought and reasoned policy defense. You speak of being run off the stage in the context of irrational indefensible policy, and when I call you on it, you SHIFT to say "Oh I actually meant the ballot box results." LOL. Yeah, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top