Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM

97 posts, read 398,652 times

Advertisements

Looks like whites were the most diverse group that voted in the election. Far closer split between any other group. Considering the popular vote was basically split.

White: 59% Romney 39% Obama
Blacks: 6% Romney 93% Obama
Latino: 27% Romney 71% Obama
Asian: 26% Romney 73% Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
I really don't think this election was about diversity at all. It was about the Republicans putting up a rich, spoiled candidate who flip-flopped so much no one could trust how he'd govern. It was about not trusting the guy to protect women/couples when it came to reproductive rights. It was about not wanting to reward the Republican party for their four years of obstructionism.

May I ask where the OP got his/her figures? As Reagan said: trust but verify.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM

97 posts, read 398,652 times
Straight from Pew research: Changing Face of America Helps Assure Obama Victory | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

and Gallup: U.S. Presidential Election Center

Asian count: Asian Voters Send a Message to Republicans - Bloomberg

Also, the same numbers can be found in many, many reputable news articles since Tuesday.

I'm sort of trolling here but I think a good chunk of white people are tired of being assumed racists...many of which voted for Obama.

"For a little perspective, consider the votes of another minority -- Asians. Romney won among all voters making more than $100,000 a year by a margin of 54-44. Asian-Americans happen to be the highest-earning group in the U.S., out-earning whites, and they generally place enormous emphasis on family. A perfect fit for Republicans, no? No. Asians voted for Obama by 73-26; they were more Democratic than Hispanics."

Blacks are usually socially conservative. Latinos place huge emphasis on family. Family and conservative seems like a perfect fit for Republicans. I must conclude that white people have shown they are more diverse in this election by voting their conscience rather than against the white guy or for the black/white guy.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Straight from Pew research: Changing Face of America Helps Assure Obama Victory | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

and Gallup: U.S. Presidential Election Center

Asian count: Asian Voters Send a Message to Republicans - Bloomberg

Also, the same numbers can be found in many, many reputable news articles since Tuesday.

I'm sort of trolling here but I think a good chunk of white people are tired of being assumed racists...many of which voted for Obama.

"For a little perspective, consider the votes of another minority -- Asians. Romney won among all voters making more than $100,000 a year by a margin of 54-44. Asian-Americans happen to be the highest-earning group in the U.S., out-earning whites, and they generally place enormous emphasis on family. A perfect fit for Republicans, no? No. Asians voted for Obama by 73-26; they were more Democratic than Hispanics."

Blacks are usually socially conservative. Latinos place huge emphasis on family. Family and conservative seems like a perfect fit for Republicans. I must conclude that white people have shown they are more diverse in this election by voting their conscience rather than against the white guy or for the black/white guy.
It probably helps when the GOP doesn't come of as hostile towards white people as they do with everyone else. Regardless of what you say, when you listen to minorities and single women talk about the GOP, they way they approach with some of their policies and their rhetoric behind it, it turns us off. Voter id laws, abortion because of rape, immigration, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Looks like whites were the most diverse group that voted in the election. Far closer split between any other group. Considering the popular vote was basically split.

If diversity means every race has their head buried in the sand then I agree.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
I think republicans have a problem admitting that their ideology is wrong no matter what the results say.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:

I hadn't thought of it that way but the numbers don't lie. The white voters exhibited the most diverse voting pattern. Good insight.

There obviously is a perception out there that the GOP is the party of racism. I don't think it's fair, but 'perception is reality' in politics. We have a lot of work to do to overturn the perception. In particular the GOP has to come up w/ strategies of how to reach the 'osmosis' voter, i.e. the voter who just kind of absorbs impressionistic info that is floating out there, as opposed to the active voter who seeks out info and makes up his/her mind by actively thinking about politics.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
It probably helps when the GOP doesn't come of as hostile towards white people as they do with everyone else. Regardless of what you say, when you listen to minorities and single women talk about the GOP, they way they approach with some of their policies and their rhetoric behind it, it turns us off. Voter id laws, abortion because of rape, immigration, etc.

Is it that the GOP comes off as "hostile" towards everyone except whites...or that the GOP is constantly falsely accused of racism, and useful idiots out there buy into the false accusations?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Is it that the GOP comes off as "hostile" towards everyone except whites...or that the GOP is constantly falsely accused of racism, and useful idiots out there buy into the false accusations?
When you have a candidate who supports self deportation, a party that creates voter id laws, and try to create legislation to either stop abortions or require invasive procedures to have an abortion, that will come off as hostile. Oh yea, and have this weird viewpoint that a woman becoming pregnant from rape is a "gift from God"

Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Well, also consider that Romney in many ways signifies the ultimate caricature of "the man:" a chicklet-toothed, coiffed-haired, disingenious bobbleheaded rich guy who's never known adversity and makes it known constantly by saying completely off-the-cuff BS that contradicts everything that he'd said previously, depending on who's in the room at the moment.

What with things like his "47%" comment, he made it very clear what he thought of blacks and most hispanics. Well, guess what: you can't win the election without the minority vote in the 21st century, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections