U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Barrington
42,246 posts, read 32,031,830 times
Reputation: 14164

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I enjoyed reading the OP's thoughts. It was refreshing to click on a new thread and not see 'links' to other people's thoughts, articles, statements, videos, etc. Thanks!
Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,620 posts, read 12,862,971 times
Reputation: 11169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I have read a lot of the political threads here and I wanted to add my thoughts about what the Republican Party needs to do if it wants to survive. There are a variety of issues where the Republicans need to come out of the stone ages and join the 21st century.

Abortion
As a Christian I am personally opposed to the practice, but it will never go away. Even if you overturn Roe vs. Wade, abortion will simply not go away. It will go underground just like illegal drugs. Republicans, especially the religions right, have to accept the fact that abortion did not start in 1973. It has a been around for a long time and it will not go away. Birth control should be widely available and very affordable so that women can hopefully avoid unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Abortion should be kept legal, but I think there are number of things that can be done to reduce the number of abortions.

Illegal Immigration
I don't like the fact that millions of people crossed the border into the US unlawfully. We need better security at the border. We also need a pathway to citizenship for the illegals that are already here. This could involve paying fines, doing community service, probation of some kind, or a combination of the three. There should be consequences for breaking the law. Once their debt to society is paid, there should be a viable pathway to citizenship for them. There should not be any penalty for those brought to the US as children or those who were born here.

People who think that we can simply deport millions of illegals are living in fantasy land. The illegals are here. We can be adults and deal with the problem or we can continue to stick our heads in the sand and pretend that the problem will go away. We also need to streamline the process of legal immigration. It should not take ten years for someone to become a citizen who wants to immigrate to the US legally, assimilate to the culture, and become productive law abiding and tax paying citizens.

Gay Marriage
There are a number of states where gay marriage is legal. It should be legal in all 50 states. If a gay couple gets married in Massachusetts and has to relocate to Georgia for whatever reason, their marriage should be recognized. There are a number of countries where gay marriage is legal. God did not strike those countries out of existence with lightening bolts or gamma rays. Gay people should have just as much right to marry as anyone else. Some of the nicest people that I know are gay, and they should have every right to pursue happiness. What they do in their private lives is none of my of business.

Marijuana
Make it legal in all 50 states. I have never lit up a joint myself, but I have never heard of it killing anybody. Law Enforcement has better things to do than busting people who just want to forget about life's problems for a while and get stoned. Make it legal and tax it. Use the tax money to help pay for health care which I will mention in my next paragraph. If we made marijuana legal, think about how great that would be for the snack food industry! It might just create a few more jobs.

Health Care
Frankly I think that Obama Care will be an absolute train wreck for the economy. Many businesses will pay the fine rather than providing healthcare. A lot of employees will be laid off, and even more will be moved from full time to part time status. How many Papa Johns type CEOs are out there who would rather have their employees work 39.5 hours a week so they don't have to provide health benefits to them?

I will now say something that will really **** off the extreme right. I believe that we should join the rest of the civilized world and have single payer health care. Take the burden of providing health care off of employers so that they can actually focus on running their businesses. That might actually help them create some jobs. Someone who is poor should have just as much right to quality healthcare as someone who is a millionaire. Nobody should be driven to bankruptcy because they get sick!

These are a few things that the Republicans could do to help modernize the party. They need to get rid of their babbling brainless idiots who talk about "legitimate rape," and how a woman's body "shuts down during a rape." The people who said these things must have slept during their Sex Ed classes in school.

If the Republicans do not tell the Religious Right to muzzle it, and join the 21st century, they will go the way of the dinosaur. The people who want to live in the stone ages can start their own party if they want to.

Has common sense completely disappeared from our political system? I am just a simple person and I do not claim to have all the answers. I am not a politician, or a business owner. I am just a Cirrus pilot who makes a very modest living. I wish the politicians from both parties would pull their heads out of their asses and work on the things that really matter.

Priority one needs to be job creation! I know a lot of people in my little hometown in North Carolina that are still reeling from this horrible economy. Many of them were textile workers that had their jobs shipped overseas. A lot of them are training for other professions. I am doing the same thing myself. Nevertheless, someone who worked in a factory for 30 years cannot become a software engineer overnight. It takes time. We need to bring back jobs to this country that don't require a four year degree. I don't have all the answers on how to do that, but I am sure that there people out there who are much smarter than I am who could work to bring back decent paying jobs for the masses.

I will get off of my soapbox now.
Spot on, and I totally agree with you...

... but, I'm also a pretty hard-line liberal.

May I ask why you identify as a republican? I am not asking this in a baiting or mocking way; I'm genuinely curious. If suddenly the GOP started supporting these things and the Democratic party started backtracking and shuffling their feet, I'd vote GOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,399,656 times
Reputation: 2345
Addding eleven million unskilled hispanic law breakers to a struggling economy is just stupid. Allowing greedy, overpaid CEO's to refuse to pay for their worker's health care is even stupider. The rest of your post is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM
 
3,574 posts, read 4,041,315 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I have read a lot of the political threads here and I wanted to add my thoughts about what the Republican Party needs to do if it wants to survive. There are a variety of issues where the Republicans need to come out of the stone ages and join the 21st century.

Abortion
As a Christian I am personally opposed to the practice, but it will never go away. Even if you overturn Roe vs. Wade, abortion will simply not go away. It will go underground just like illegal drugs. Republicans, especially the religions right, have to accept the fact that abortion did not start in 1973. It has a been around for a long time and it will not go away. Birth control should be widely available and very affordable so that women can hopefully avoid unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Abortion should be kept legal, but I think there are number of things that can be done to reduce the number of abortions.

Illegal Immigration
I don't like the fact that millions of people crossed the border into the US unlawfully. We need better security at the border. We also need a pathway to citizenship for the illegals that are already here. This could involve paying fines, doing community service, probation of some kind, or a combination of the three. There should be consequences for breaking the law. Once their debt to society is paid, there should be a viable pathway to citizenship for them. There should not be any penalty for those brought to the US as children or those who were born here.

People who think that we can simply deport millions of illegals are living in fantasy land. The illegals are here. We can be adults and deal with the problem or we can continue to stick our heads in the sand and pretend that the problem will go away. We also need to streamline the process of legal immigration. It should not take ten years for someone to become a citizen who wants to immigrate to the US legally, assimilate to the culture, and become productive law abiding and tax paying citizens.

Gay Marriage
There are a number of states where gay marriage is legal. It should be legal in all 50 states. If a gay couple gets married in Massachusetts and has to relocate to Georgia for whatever reason, their marriage should be recognized. There are a number of countries where gay marriage is legal. God did not strike those countries out of existence with lightening bolts or gamma rays. Gay people should have just as much right to marry as anyone else. Some of the nicest people that I know are gay, and they should have every right to pursue happiness. What they do in their private lives is none of my of business.

Marijuana
Make it legal in all 50 states. I have never lit up a joint myself, but I have never heard of it killing anybody. Law Enforcement has better things to do than busting people who just want to forget about life's problems for a while and get stoned. Make it legal and tax it. Use the tax money to help pay for health care which I will mention in my next paragraph. If we made marijuana legal, think about how great that would be for the snack food industry! It might just create a few more jobs.

Health Care
Frankly I think that Obama Care will be an absolute train wreck for the economy. Many businesses will pay the fine rather than providing healthcare. A lot of employees will be laid off, and even more will be moved from full time to part time status. How many Papa Johns type CEOs are out there who would rather have their employees work 39.5 hours a week so they don't have to provide health benefits to them?

I will now say something that will really **** off the extreme right. I believe that we should join the rest of the civilized world and have single payer health care. Take the burden of providing health care off of employers so that they can actually focus on running their businesses. That might actually help them create some jobs. Someone who is poor should have just as much right to quality healthcare as someone who is a millionaire. Nobody should be driven to bankruptcy because they get sick!

These are a few things that the Republicans could do to help modernize the party. They need to get rid of their babbling brainless idiots who talk about "legitimate rape," and how a woman's body "shuts down during a rape." The people who said these things must have slept during their Sex Ed classes in school.

If the Republicans do not tell the Religious Right to muzzle it, and join the 21st century, they will go the way of the dinosaur. The people who want to live in the stone ages can start their own party if they want to.

Has common sense completely disappeared from our political system? I am just a simple person and I do not claim to have all the answers. I am not a politician, or a business owner. I am just a Cirrus pilot who makes a very modest living. I wish the politicians from both parties would pull their heads out of their asses and work on the things that really matter.

Priority one needs to be job creation! I know a lot of people in my little hometown in North Carolina that are still reeling from this horrible economy. Many of them were textile workers that had their jobs shipped overseas. A lot of them are training for other professions. I am doing the same thing myself. Nevertheless, someone who worked in a factory for 30 years cannot become a software engineer overnight. It takes time. We need to bring back jobs to this country that don't require a four year degree. I don't have all the answers on how to do that, but I am sure that there people out there who are much smarter than I am who could work to bring back decent paying jobs for the masses.

I will get off of my soapbox now.
If everything above became the platform of the Republican party, I just might switch parties and be a Republican. I just don't see that happening though. Too many of them are rooted in their belief in the bible and that dictates their backwards political policy. That will never change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
 
4,176 posts, read 5,328,929 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Kind of funny, but the last 2 presidential candidates pretty much followed exactly what you stated, were "moderates", and by your definition, should have won by landslide.

McCain was big on amnesty for illegal aliens, Romney instituted government mandated health care in Mass.
Both gave lip service to preserving the life of babies in the womb, but have never really been activists supporting the right to life.

Maybe the Republicans should try conservatism next time and nominate someone who stands for something instead of pandering to the left?
Thank you! Are there Tea Party candidates (Angle, Mourdock, etc.) who lost? Yes, but there are Tea Party candidates who have won (Cruz, Rubio, Lee, Rand Paul, etc.). There are also of moderate GOP candidates who went down in 2012: Thompson, Brown, Lingle, McMahon, Mack.

There's no guarantee that a conservative (R) would win, but the last two GOP Presidential candidates were moderates and lost. It's so annoying to hear how no (R) can win the primary without being a right-wing extremist lunatic, when no legitimate conservative has won the GOP nomination since Reagan 32 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM
 
Location: California
29,669 posts, read 32,128,965 times
Reputation: 24815
As a Republican I support UHC and so do many others. If done right it's the most logical, simple and fiscally responsible thing for everyone. I've never been an "every man for himself" Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Fort Payne Alabama
1,075 posts, read 1,483,927 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Thank you! Are there Tea Party candidates (Angle, Mourdock, etc.) who lost? Yes, but there are Tea Party candidates who have won (Cruz, Rubio, Lee, Rand Paul, etc.). There are also of moderate GOP candidates who went down in 2012: Thompson, Brown, Lingle, McMahon, Mack.

There's no guarantee that a conservative (R) would win, but the last two GOP Presidential candidates were moderates and lost. It's so annoying to hear how no (R) can win the primary without being a right-wing extremist lunatic, when no legitimate conservative has won the GOP nomination since Reagan 32 years ago.
You must have missed Nighttrains earlier post which is 100% correct.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? the reason romney lost was because he had to flip flop to the extreme conservatives just to win the primary and tried to get back to the middle. Remember, his campaign was trailing the entire time, until the first debate when he came of as a moderate and that's when his numbers improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,507,674 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Thank you! Are there Tea Party candidates (Angle, Mourdock, etc.) who lost? Yes, but there are Tea Party candidates who have won (Cruz, Rubio, Lee, Rand Paul, etc.). There are also of moderate GOP candidates who went down in 2012: Thompson, Brown, Lingle, McMahon, Mack.

There's no guarantee that a conservative (R) would win, but the last two GOP Presidential candidates were moderates and lost. It's so annoying to hear how no (R) can win the primary without being a right-wing extremist lunatic, when no legitimate conservative has won the GOP nomination since Reagan 32 years ago.
this is where you are wrong. The reason both of them lost had nothing to do with not being to conservative. In 08, obama won because was such a disaster by the end that it hurt Mccain. Romney lost because he had to go to the right to win the primaries, and go to the middle to win the election. Had he had stayed middle the entire time, he would have won the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,893 posts, read 41,809,366 times
Reputation: 14153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Because Republicans won't nominate a true conservative. Obama won because real Americans did not show up last week. They stayed home because Romney did not excite them. The makers can take back their country from the takers if a true conservative heads the ticket.
This is so disgusting, I can't believe you said it. You have remained off my ignore list this entire election because for the most part your statements were factual, not fantasy. What has happened to you? Or were you disguising your true feelings all along. And, here I defended you on another thread for unbelievably vile comments. Count me as snookered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The real Americans are the ones who work and have worked, sacrificed, and served to make this the great country that it used to be. They are not the takers and moochers who have their hand out to the government to give them what they are too lazy to earn for themselves.
Exactly what percentage of the population who voted for Obama is in the category of "takers" do you suppose?

Surely, not the 47% so famously cited by Romney, which has been seriously DEBUNKED all over this board. At best, it might be 11%.

So, say again, how many in this country are takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,533,779 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Addding eleven million unskilled hispanic law breakers to a struggling economy is just stupid. Allowing greedy, overpaid CEO's to refuse to pay for their worker's health care is even stupider. The rest of your post is fine.
Newsflash: Adding? They already have those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top