U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,307,295 times
Reputation: 1376

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
This stuff goes on inside states so nationally people don't keep up on it - yet it affects our national elections. Some people are rethinking this out-of-control nonsense. Things like limiting the number of sides a district can have, or whatever - there's more to it.
They did the same thing in Ohio. The GOP cut up dems heavy Summit county Into four surrounding districts that are 55%-45% R. As a result Summit county, big enuf to have one district, has four absentee R representatives. The west side of Cleveland is represented by somebody in Toledo a hundred miles away. Rep Fudge on the east side of Cleveland was given a district that is 90%-95% dems.

I think the results were 12 R seats and 4 dem seats when more dem votes were cast. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,795,790 times
Reputation: 3062
Imho a big part of why the GOP lost is because they have become hugely anti-intellectual in the past few decades. The GOP needs to do something to attract academics if they want any chance to counteract this kind of thing and not just this, but also something that is notable is that the GOP was totally blindsided by this result because they did not have the kind of numbers people the Democrats did, nor did they have the people who knew how to micro-target fusing politics, computers and mapping.

Basically, as the OP points out, the GOP just isn't attracting the best and the brightest in academia who know how to implement the kind of cutting edge ideas and techniques that are being developed and that is imho because they are increasingly hostile to the universities and academic communities where these ideas, and the people cabable of implementing them are concentrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,795,790 times
Reputation: 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
They did the same thing in Ohio. The GOP cut up dems heavy Summit county Into four surrounding districts that are 55%-45% R. As a result Summit county, big enuf to have one district, has four absentee R representatives. The west side of Cleveland is represented by somebody in Toledo a hundred miles away. Rep Fudge on the east side of Cleveland was given a district that is 90%-95% dems.

I think the results were 12 R seats and 4 dem seats when more dem votes were cast. Disgusting.
And in North Carolina.

They took Asheville away from other mountain counties that lent themselves to democratic coalitions like Jackson, Swain, Madison, and Haywood and put it with much more conservative areas further east.

They also created 3 democratic districts that are 70%+ Democratic by combining Fayetteville with Raleigh and Chapel Hill, Durham with majority African American areas of Northeastern NC, and combining Winston-Salem and Greensboro with Charlotte.

The result is that while the majority of people voted for Democratic Congressional candidates in North Carolina. Republicans are likely to have a 9-4, and possibly 10-3 advantage.

The thing though is as population growth continues to explode in North Carolina I suspect the GOP is going to start having problems in some of those districts particularly the 9th. As you can see though they did a pretty good job of keeping their districts 55-45 and packing the Dems 70%+
http://results.enr.clarityelections....n/summary.html

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-14-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,707,209 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
They did the same thing in Ohio. The GOP cut up dems heavy Summit county Into four surrounding districts that are 55%-45% R. As a result Summit county, big enuf to have one district, has four absentee R representatives. The west side of Cleveland is represented by somebody in Toledo a hundred miles away. Rep Fudge on the east side of Cleveland was given a district that is 90%-95% dems.

I think the results were 12 R seats and 4 dem seats when more dem votes were cast. Disgusting.
Seems like more activism is called for here, along with several other issues like money in politics, campaign finance, lobbying, voter suppression, voting machines, the filibuster. Action on these few fronts will go a long way toward fixing the system IMO.
Don't know if this is going on in Michigan, since I haven't seen it in the news. Maybe it wouldn't be reported anyway, given the state of our media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,353,571 times
Reputation: 5910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Imho a big part of why the GOP lost is because they have become hugely anti-intellectual in the past few decades. The GOP needs to do something to attract academics if they want any chance to counteract this kind of thing and not just this, but also something that is notable is that the GOP was totally blindsided by this result because they did not have the kind of numbers people the Democrats did, nor did they have the people who knew how to micro-target fusing politics, computers and mapping.

Basically, as the OP points out, the GOP just isn't attracting the best and the brightest in academia who know how to implement the kind of cutting edge ideas and techniques that are being developed and that is imho because they are increasingly hostile to the universities and academic communities where these ideas, and the people cabable of implementing them are concentrated.
Heck, it's not just in academia, as we see here all the time! So it's probably not surprising to see such an anti-intellectual political culture and "brain drain" is also having larger repercussions, even at the strategic "command and control" level now. BTW, isn't that what happened to Neanderthals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,115 posts, read 7,860,180 times
Reputation: 5395
The genius of realizing that stupid, disinterested, and/or ignorant people have the right to vote too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,115 posts, read 7,860,180 times
Reputation: 5395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Imho a big part of why the GOP lost is because they have become hugely anti-intellectual in the past few decades. The GOP needs to do something to attract academics if they want any chance to counteract this kind of thing and not just this, but also something that is notable is that the GOP was totally blindsided by this result because they did not have the kind of numbers people the Democrats did, nor did they have the people who knew how to micro-target fusing politics, computers and mapping.

Basically, as the OP points out, the GOP just isn't attracting the best and the brightest in academia who know how to implement the kind of cutting edge ideas and techniques that are being developed and that is imho because they are increasingly hostile to the universities and academic communities where these ideas, and the people cabable of implementing them are concentrated.
My father-in-law is a very successful retired banker and in a Shakespearian storyline, his brother, who is a Cornell Academic, despises everything he stands for, i.e. free market capitalism. So in my experience it is the academic world that has the psychosis.

It wouldn't be farfetched to believe that this animosity on the part of the academics is at work here as well. According to the article these academics in particular were throwing themselves at the last couple of Democratic campaigns.

Of course the lefties on the board would choose to see it through the goggles of "The genius that is Obama"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,307,295 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Seems like more activism is called for here, along with several other issues like money in politics, campaign finance, lobbying, voter suppression, voting machines, the filibuster. Action on these few fronts will go a long way toward fixing the system IMO.
Don't know if this is going on in Michigan, since I haven't seen it in the news. Maybe it wouldn't be reported anyway, given the state of our media.
Ohio was lost in 2010 when the dem GOTV operations in Cuyahoga were disrupted by the indictments of many dems in leadership positions. The feds, backed by the bush WH, spent years and millions wiretapping and investigating just about every dem office holder in the county. Just when the organizing for the 2010 congressional elections would be gearing up the leadership was doing perp walks.... Results, turnout in Cuyahoga was flat and the GOP swept every statewide seat and held 100% control of the post census redistricting.

We had a ballot issue this election to take redistricting away from the pols, but it lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,353,571 times
Reputation: 5910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The genius of realizing that stupid, disinterested, and/or ignorant people have the right to vote too.
The GOP argument seems to be that Democrats pander to "some folks" dependency (aka, the "Santa Claus President"). But even if so, how is that any worse than willfully pandering to prejudice, bigotry and the afore-mentioned ignorance and stupidity (aka, "birthers", the uppity muslim socialist Kenyan, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,795,790 times
Reputation: 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My father-in-law is a very successful retired banker and in a Shakespearian storyline, his brother, who is a Cornell Academic, despises everything he stands for, i.e. free market capitalism. So in my experience it is the academic world that has the psychosis.

It wouldn't be farfetched to believe that this animosity on the part of the academics is at work here as well. According to the article these academics in particular were throwing themselves at the last couple of Democratic campaigns.

Of course the lefties on the board would choose to see it through the goggles of "The genius that is Obama"
Not really, traditionally there is substantially support for free market capitalism in academia. There also used to be a lot of intellectual conservatives coming from academic like George Will, and William Buckley. The problem with universities started when the GOP was hijacked by people who disliked intellectuals and did not value university learning. In fact, William Buckley warned against allowing such people to gain power and influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top