Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,285,826 times

Advertisements

Obama

If you want to understand the 2012 presidential election, make sure you read this piece by Michael Medved. Pres. Obama won via voter suppression. All legal, of course.

It's a truism in politics that "negative ads work" but why? Negative ads work by discouraging people from voting, especially swing/independent voters who are probably not political junkies but vote out of a sense of duty, community spirit, etc. I have quite a few friends in this category, and to a person they all said that they hated this election and were glad when it was over. That's how negative ads work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medved
The sad reality is the lavishly funded ad campaigns worked as intended. A report from a monitoring agency at Wesleyan University suggests that an astonishing 85 percent of all campaign commercials by the Obama campaign and allied groups featured negative messages about Romney. These attack ads aren’t supposed to inspire your people to go to the polls; they’re meant to dissuade the other guy’s supporters from going to the polls. The purpose of negative advertising is to discourage, not encourage, voting.
Pres. Obama got about 7 million fewer votes in 2012 than in 2008, yet still won. Republican and conservative voters did show up to vote, as people like Michael Barone predicted. But the indy/swing voters didn't. Credit where credit is due--Obama, Plouffe, and Axelrod pursued a brilliant strategy, and it worked. Team Obama came up with a winning strategy, just as in 2008, when (according to Hillary Clinton in Game Change) the strategy of Team Obama was: play the race card.

Clever guy, that Obama. He's Lebron, baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,483,367 times
Insiders Explain How Mitt Romney's Campaign Completely Fell Apart On Election Day - Yahoo! Finance

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,225,642 times
Republicans showing their true colors. When they win it's a mandate from god; when they lose they start stomping their feet and whining, "it's not fair, it's not fair, he took it, it's mine" like petulant children.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Republicans showing their true colors. When they win it's a mandate from god; when they lose they start stomping their feet and whining, "it's not fair, it's not fair, he took it, it's mine" like petulant children.
Where did anyone say that it wasn't fair? I think the word I used was "brilliant."

Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,942,373 times
"Suppression." I don't that means what you think it means.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,923,642 times
I'm moving to Wisconsin and opening a cheese factory for Republicans so they have something to munch on with their whine. At the present post election rate cheese and whine production have reached maximum capacity.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,083,841 times
How is this suppressing the vote? He just convinced enough people that Romney wasn't the one who should be leading our country.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,017,749 times
I see the Cons are on a tin-foil hat parade this week on CD.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How is this suppressing the vote? He just convinced enough people that Romney wasn't the one who should be leading our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon
"Suppression." I don't that means what you think it means.
Supression fits just fine here; look it up:
Suppress - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam Webster
a: to restrain from a usual course or action <suppress a cough>

b: to inhibit the growth or development of

There may be other words that are better, but obviously Medved used this word to play off the common Dem meme about vote suppression. Anyway, I suspect these posts are a typical effort to derail into a debate over semantics. This seems to be a common tactic from the left when they can't face the reality of an issue.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,565,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obama

If you want to understand the 2012 presidential election, make sure you read this piece by Michael Medved. Pres. Obama won via voter suppression. All legal, of course.

It's a truism in politics that "negative ads work" but why? Negative ads work by discouraging people from voting, especially swing/independent voters who are probably not political junkies but vote out of a sense of duty, community spirit, etc. I have quite a few friends in this category, and to a person they all said that they hated this election and were glad when it was over. That's how negative ads work.

Pres. Obama got about 7 million fewer votes in 2012 than in 2008, yet still won. Republican and conservative voters did show up to vote, as people like Michael Barone predicted. But the indy/swing voters didn't. Credit where credit is due--Obama, Plouffe, and Axelrod pursued a brilliant strategy, and it worked. Team Obama came up with a winning strategy, just as in 2008, when (according to Hillary Clinton in Game Change) the strategy of Team Obama was: play the race card.

Clever guy, that Obama. He's Lebron, baby.

Obama suppressing votes?

You and Medved are funny boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections