U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM

33,979 posts, read 32,471,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Mitt Romney held a conference call with disappointed fat cat donors today, and claimed Obama won re-election because of all the "free gifts" he gave to minorities in his first term:

Romney Blames Loss on Obama's 'Gifts' to Minorities and Young Voters - NYTimes.com

I thought Rommey disavowed his "47%" comments? but here he is, basically repeating them, for the same crowd of well-healed donors.

Funny, cuz I always thought that, on the 47% tape, it was the only time during the whole campaign that you could tell Romney was really speaking with conviction. The only time the "real" Romney was on display.

America made the RIGHT CHOICE. I said it a year ago on these boards, and I'll say it again: NOBODY LIKES A PHONEY!
It's true. That was the Obama strategy. It's the Democrat strategy. Increase the number of freebies before the election to buy votes then take some away after you get elected to make it appear that you are cutting spending. Really, all they are going to do is decrease their pre-election increases.

Let's see where you all are in a year. The few taxpayers left paying taxes aren't going to cover all of your freebies so "the rich" cutoff is going to have to be lowered from $250,000. You won't be able to afford food because of shutting down coal production so electricity costs will skyrocket especially for businesses. You'll pay for it at the supermarket, restaurants, doctor's office and clothing stores in pass down costs. If you don't drill on federal land, gasoline prices will eventually go up. If it costs more to move your food and clothes from factories to stores, you'll pay for it again in pass down costs to the consumer. Obamacare will cause people to lose job hours, that's already happening, so your income will be lower, too.

OMIGOD, welfare people might have to do without an IPAD or expensive sneakers.

Pretty soon we'll look like the old Soviet Union - crappy housing, long lines for scarce food...

Last edited by LauraC; 11-15-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM

21,146 posts, read 15,297,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's true. That was the Obama strategy. It's the Democrat strategy. Increase the number of freebies before the election to buy votes then take some away after you get elected to make it appear that you are cutting spending. Really, all they are going to do is decrease their pre-election increases.
What "freebies" are those?
Seriously.

We keep hearing about all of the free stuff that the President promised but no one has given the least inkling as to what these are.

And, somehow, he still won the election.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,703,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I think we dodged a HUGE bullet here folks.
Sure we dodged a bullet. Unfortunately in dodging the bullet we landed on a land mine. America was bound to be the biggest loser in this election regardless of the outcome.

If Romney had won the wealthy would have benefited at the expense of the middle class.

Since Obama won the poor will benefit at the expense of the middle class.

Let's be realistic here, rich folks aren't going to feel the effects of a tax hike. They'll just raise prices on the goods and services their companies produce and sell to the American people in order to cover it.

Last edited by duster1979; 11-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM

54,407 posts, read 38,395,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As opposed to the Republican strategy of claiming to want to cut government spending while intending to increase the corporate welfare gravy train to the MIC and other government spending that suits their agenda?

Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,461,159 times
This is pure comedy. Romney is mad because people knew he meant exactly what he said down in Boca? LMAO! I love it. Now that it's all over and he doesn't have another shot at becoming president he goes back to his original position. Wow just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Mitt Romney held a conference call with disappointed fat cat donors today, and claimed Obama won re-election because of all the "free gifts" he gave to minorities in his first term:

Romney Blames Loss on Obama's 'Gifts' to Minorities and Young Voters - NYTimes.com

I thought Rommey disavowed his "47%" comments? but here he is, basically repeating them, for the same crowd of well-healed donors.

Funny, cuz I always thought that, on the 47% tape, it was the only time during the whole campaign that you could tell Romney was really speaking with conviction. The only time the "real" Romney was on display.

America made the RIGHT CHOICE. I said it a year ago on these boards, and I'll say it again: NOBODY LIKES A PHONEY!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,405,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Hardly a big defeat. More like "won by a very small margin".
Not only was there an electorate butt-kicking, but also BOTH houses of congress added more Democrats. That spells big defeat when the nation in those 3 elections (Presidency, House, Senate) has moved government more in favor of the Democrats.

It was also a big defeat in terms of expectations. Repubs thought they had it in the bag, but the reality wasn't anywhere close to what they envisioned.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,783,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Not only was there an electorate butt-kicking, but also BOTH houses of congress added more Democrats. That spells big defeat when the nation in those 3 elections (Presidency, House, Senate) has moved government more in favor of the Democrats.

It was also a big defeat in terms of expectations. Repubs thought they had it in the bag, but the reality wasn't anywhere close to what they envisioned.
I think this is key and it explains the fury of so many Republicans over the election result.

Part of the reason for this is the information they choose to believe. Because so many Republicans think that the mainstream media is biased against them they tend to turn to right-wing news channels, blogs and radio commentators where their assumptions are not challenged and alternative views are rarely advanced.

It was the same with the polls before the election. Commentator after commentator criticised the polls claiming that Democrats had been oversampled and that, as Republicans were more likely to be in work, then they would not be at home when the pollsters called. And they would constantly quote the right-leaning poll which always gave Romney an advantage to show that the other polls were wrong.

Many Republicans deluded themselves into thinking that they had the election won before anybody voted. This made the shock of the actual result all the greater.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,011,435 times
Quote:
Romney to donors: Obama won because he gave away "free gifts" to minoriites

And Romney said that if elected he would give away "free gifts" to the wealthy and corporations.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,060,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Dumb Romney didn't know how to read the polls to realize he was likely to lose. He was shocked when he lost even thought the normal polls clearly showed this.

Now Dumb Romney things there is a sudden influx of young voters in 2012 because Obamacare kept young adults on their parents insurance until age 26.

Dumb Romney should learn how to look at data to evaluate trends. He would see that the baby boomers (a large boom in population) now have children that are young adults and many turned 18 and became voters the past 4 years. In a nutshell, there is an influx of young voters BECAUSE there is an influx of young people in the USA. Period. The more young people we have, the more they vote.

Dumn Romney needs to go away. It's been very nice this past week without Dumb Romney. Bye, Bye Dumb Romney.
They were only looking at Fox News Polls.... He is beyond pathetic. I hope we never hear from this clown again.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

1,603 posts, read 752,416 times
These comments are really sad although I am happy that some Republicans are taking the opportunity to reflect on their defeat. So a man who sold himself as a superior businessman, a fix-it guy, couldnt even run an effective campaign, and instead of owning that failure he blames it on giveaways really? Now the only give away, I see is the temporary status for illegals, which I am not enthralled with, but I can see why that would garner votes. Now Romney claims that the "giveaways" were for young, blacks and hispanics. Hmm, last time I checked young people were not the only ones using birth control, and it is not free. If you dont have health insurance, then you are still not getting birth control. And what did he give Blacks, because I missed that. Lets see, I have a high deductible insurance plan, which I never meet the deductible so basically we dont have insurance, and my taxes are going to increase, which I dont mind as long as everyone shares the pain.

So Mitt says, "“You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you’re now going to get free health care, particularly if you don’t have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity — I mean, this is huge,” Mr. Romney said. Is he implying that only Blacks,young people and hispanics are in those income brackets??? And how can he say that, WHEN HE PIONEERED UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE AS A GOVERNOR!!! At last check, Obama won, Blacks, Latinos, Women, Asians,....why cant Romney just admit he lost. After Obama, knocked off the Clinton Machine, which no one believe would happen, Romney had 7 years to prepare. So this great businessman, had a 7 year timeline, for the mother of all projects, and he failed miserably. He really needs to take a look in the mirror. I mean really, Romney could have used his own money to fund a group of number crunchers...duh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or