Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
First of all, the 1% starts at $343,000. No, those guys aren't punching a time clock, but most people at that rate are still working folks putting in 60 hours or more each week with very high levels of stress in exchange for that income.

Second of all, the tax hikes start with those earning $250,000, who fall outside the 1%.

But both of those facts are irrelevant. You completely missed my point. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you didn't even read my post; if you did, you failed to comprehend it.

The tax burden on the individuals making that kind of money is inconsequential. The typical earner making $250K will pay an extra $199 a year in taxes. Big whoop. That's not what I was talking about.

The greater problem is that many people making that kind of money are executives for large companies and are compensated based on the company's profits, and it's the company's taxes I'm referring to. If a company's profits go down as a result of paying additional taxes (including Obamacare), so will the executives' salaries that are based on those profits. So those executives are going to react to this increase just as they would to any other increase: They are either going to raise prices to their customers, cut other expenses, or do some combination of the two. Because if they don't make these moves they are at the very least going to end up making less money, or at the worst lose their high-paying jobs.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to take a few thousand more dollars a year from a multi-millionaire, but when you look objectively at the big picture you can see that there is a snowball effect that causes a negative impact for everybody. If you're willing to look, that is.
Without getting into a long post:
* You seem to be saying don't let the Bush tax cuts expire or raise taxes on the rich at all, otherwise - hell to pay.
* I support small businesses and want to cut them every break possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default Gifts? Here are MY gifts from Obama....

Did PRESIDENT Obama give us gifts. Yes he did. Here are MY gifts from OUR president.

Seeing the Koch brothers FAIL.

Seeing Sheldon Adelson FAIL.

Seeing Karl Rove FAIL and whine like a baby that it's not his fault. Waaahhhhhh

Seeing GOP voter suppression efforts and right-wing dirty tricks FAIL. And Obama say "We gotta fix that." Oh yeah. Can't wait.

Seeing Romney's "I'll say anything to get elected" campaign, flip flopping, smirking, and debate tactics FAIL.

Seeing Citizens United REPUDIATED. Money did NOT buy this election.

Seeing the "religious right" FAIL. After all, they're neither, just mostly hypocrites, racists, misogynists, bigots and homophobes.

Seeing AM hate radio REPUDIATED. Funny, the GOP now disavows them, calling them the "conservative entertainment complex." On day one of Obama's presidency, Limbaugh started running his mouth about "lets make him fail." The GOP and its uncle tom, Michael Steele, picked up on that and let Limbaugh set the tone for way too long.

Seeing Fox News look like FOOLS and LIARS on Election Night. Fox News are fools and liars all the time, but on election night their four year campaign to "make him fail" and "make him a one term president" was a HUGE failure, along with their smug predictions of a Romney win.

Seeing African American Tea Party uncle toms like Allen West and Mia Love DEFEATED.

Seeing Democratic House candiates WIN MORE VOTES than Republican House candidates.

Seeing some of the TEA Party darlings FAIL their re-election to the House. We'll get rid of more of them in 2014.

Seeing DEM firebrand Alan Grayson RE-ELECTED to the House, from FL. BTW, Florida went for Obama. Again.

Seeing the DEMs KEEP their majority in the Senate. We'll add to it in 2014

Seeing John Boehner get his attitude adjusted, but he'll be a jerk about everything.

Seeing Mitch McConnell prove himself IRRELEVANT and set himself up for DEFEAT in 2014.

I could go on.

THANK YOU Mr. PRESIDENT!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Good list.
And seeing red states go blue - with more to come as the Gekko Party becomes exposed for what it is.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Good list.
And seeing red states go blue - with more to come as the Gekko Party becomes exposed for what it is.
Yes, it was a bit of a surprise to see Iowa go blue, when all the other farm states went red. The people of Iowa deserve a lot of credit.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM

831 posts, read 680,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, it was a bit of a surprise to see Iowa go blue, when all the other farm states went red. The people of Iowa deserve a lot of credit.

Damn, here i thought all C-D mods were Extreme right wingers. Glad to see one is on the side of Sanity.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
Damn, here i thought all C-D mods were Extreme right wingers. Glad to see one is on the side of Sanity.
Thank you. I've always considered myself a realist, voting all over the map, but I haven't voted GOP for a long time now (1992 was the last time), ever since the party got into bed with the so-called religious right. Romney's campaign was as laughable as was McCain's with all the flip flopping and pandering to the usual single-issue voting blocs that are the GOP base of extremists who have ruined a once great party, the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and IMO GHW Bush (who I admired greatly).

I didn't bother fighting this election in this forum, turns my stomach to see the lies, spin and lunacy of the GOP trolls and fools who post such crap all the time, it would've been a waste of my time so I've stayed out of here pretty much since the 2008 election was over. But now that the results are in and we have something concrete to post about I'll make a few posts.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I've always considered myself a realist, voting all over the map, but I haven't voted GOP for a long time now (1992 was the last time), ever since the party got into bed with the so-called religious right. Romney's campaign was as laughable as was McCain's with all the flip flopping and pandering to the usual single-issue voting blocs that are the GOP base of extremists who have ruined a once great party, the party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and IMO GHW Bush (who I admired greatly).

I didn't bother fighting this election in this forum, turns my stomach to see the lies, spin and lunacy of the GOP trolls and fools who post such crap all the time, it would've been a waste of my time so I've stayed out of here pretty much since the 2008 election was over. But now that the results are in and we have something concrete to post about I'll make a few posts.
Today it's not even the party of Reagan, though they say otherwise (he raised taxes for one thing). It's certainly not middle-of-the-road (yeah I remember Eisenhower but was not political at that time, and he hated war - not a chickenhawk by any means).
You mentioned the religious right, but what do you think of the connection to Wall Street and teabaggers?
Reagan's Real Legacy | The Nation

Last edited by detwahDJ; 11-18-2012 at 01:58 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I'm not normally right wing,but I think Romney was right.
Except healthcare,we needed Obamacare.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Quote:
Did PRESIDENT Obama give us gifts. Yes he did. Here are MY gifts from OUR president.

Seeing the Koch brothers FAIL.

Seeing Sheldon Adelson FAIL.

Seeing Karl Rove FAIL and whine like a baby that it's not his fault. Waaahhhhhh

Seeing GOP voter suppression efforts and right-wing dirty tricks FAIL. And Obama say "We gotta fix that." Oh yeah. Can't wait.

Seeing Romney's "I'll say anything to get elected" campaign, flip flopping, smirking, and debate tactics FAIL.

Seeing Citizens United REPUDIATED. Money did NOT buy this election.

Seeing the "religious right" FAIL. After all, they're neither, just mostly hypocrites, racists, misogynists, bigots and homophobes.

Seeing AM hate radio REPUDIATED. Funny, the GOP now disavows them, calling them the "conservative entertainment complex." On day one of Obama's presidency, Limbaugh started running his mouth about "lets make him fail." The GOP and its uncle tom, Michael Steele, picked up on that and let Limbaugh set the tone for way too long.

Seeing Fox News look like FOOLS and LIARS on Election Night. Fox News are fools and liars all the time, but on election night their four year campaign to "make him fail" and "make him a one term president" was a HUGE failure, along with their smug predictions of a Romney win.

Seeing African American Tea Party uncle toms like Allen West and Mia Love DEFEATED.

Seeing Democratic House candiates WIN MORE VOTES than Republican House candidates.

Seeing some of the TEA Party darlings FAIL their re-election to the House. We'll get rid of more of them in 2014.

Seeing DEM firebrand Alan Grayson RE-ELECTED to the House, from FL. BTW, Florida went for Obama. Again.

Seeing the DEMs KEEP their majority in the Senate. We'll add to it in 2014

Seeing John Boehner get his attitude adjusted, but he'll be a jerk about everything.

Seeing Mitch McConnell prove himself IRRELEVANT and set himself up for DEFEAT in 2014.

I could go on.

THANK YOU Mr. PRESIDENT!

You should be honest with yourself and ask the simple question

Why do people vote for Democrats? Putting aside this fake war on women is it all about "free stuff?". I would say yes to a large degree. The gays want their marriage thing, but Obama was against that before he was in favor of it, so he is really against it, but just pandering for the gay vote.

Expanded food stamps, 99 weeks of unemployment, some sort of housing, loan relief programs, student loans from government forgiven after 20 years, citizenship for illegals. These are the programs, and others, that were the center piece of the Obama term. It is all about give away and buy votes, which is not new, but is it going to make for a better tomorrow?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Today it's not even the party of Reagan, though they say otherwise (he raised taxes for one thing). It's certainly not middle-of-the-road (yeah I remember Eisenhower but was not political at that time, and he hated war - not a chickenhawk by any means).
You mentioned the religious right, but what do you think of the connection to Wall Street and teabaggers?
Reagan's Real Legacy | The Nation
Great article, thanks for the link.

Here's an excerpt that speaks to me: "These trends were not caused by inevitable social and economic forces. They resulted from Reagan’s policy and political choices based on an underlying “you’re on your own” ideology."

I've been saying for at least SIX years that the GOP was doing everything it could, especially in the area of health care, to put us into a world of "You're On Your Own" (i.e., YOYO). I'd like to think I coined the YOYO phrase. If you use the ADVANCED Search on this site, with my screen name in the USER NAME and YOYO in the SEARCH TERM box, you'll find I used the YOYO term six years ago at post #3 in this thread.

And yes, I agree that Reagan, whom I voted for twice, opened up Pandora's Box of economic evils. I recall that era, where most of the large department stores got bought up in leveraged buyouts by a few major chains.

And I recall the endless newspaper reports of one textile firm after another being bought up by firms like Bain Capital, who robbed the pension funds, filed bankruptcy, fired the workers, and shipped the equipment to Pakistan, Malaysia and other foreign lands. The Washington Post even did an article on one of the dudes whose job it was to strip the plants and ship the manufacturing gear overseas.

And I recall the S&L debacle, which had its roots in the Reagan years, that cost us hundreds of billions of dollars and was one reason GHW Bush had to raise taxes to pay for it. Then Ross Perot got pissed because Bush Senior raised taxes (after vowing not to) and tried to punish GHW Bush by running against him; all Perot did was hand the white house to the Clintons.

I could go on and on, but it's all in the article that you linked to.

When you're famous and wealthy, living the YOYO life is easy, but what Reagan and his very wrong, devious and crooked advisors never got, or didn't want to get, was that if you're an average working stiff, the YOYO life is nothing short of a recipe for personal disaster. Sadly, millions of white working stiffs in the south and farm states, and who hate Obama, and probably support TEA Party whack job candidates (like Akin and Mourdock), either don't get how they're being set up to lose, or are just so very racist that they'll do anything, even bankrupt their own lives, just to get him out of office. On that they have FAILED miserably, twice now, and will continue to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections