U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:00 AM

69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I am going to stand by a prediction I made a few years ago. The next President will either be a Clinton or a Bush.
We are mostly political junkies here and it is kind of fun to predict what we think will happen, but I am just not convinced Bush will even run, much less get the nod. I do like him, I have always liked him as well, if not more than the rest of the Bush's and he certainly can connect with Hispanics. Hillary, well it is still a wait and see game with her. I do think she will run, but like Bush, I am not sure she will end up getting the nomination. She might be a little too late.. Maybe part of my reasoning has to do with what I want to see or not see happen: I am so tired of the same ole, same ole. It is time for new faces and new names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 08:29 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,869,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Cuomo is indeed more liberal than Clinton.

One of your links claims Cuomo is conservative because he cut taxes. That argument plays along the lines simply claiming anyone left of center is against tax cuts and that just isnt true. You can cut taxes as long as you cut waist and spending and if it will actually raise revenue, we just believe conservatives dont do that when they are in power, and we dont believe all situations will result in more revenue. Look at 2007 and 2008

your second link is a complete lie, the source material it uses to make its claim in no way claims Cuomo is a conservative, it doesnt even rank ideology as the short article claims, it ranks approval ratings among dems in the respective candidates home states.

At this point, i am seriously starting to think you just heard someone call him a conservative int he past an then googled " Andrew Cuomo, Conservative" and posted what ever you saw.

the 3rd link has a misleading title. It never claims he is conservative either, it actually just says he isnt a progressive, which makes liberals like myself happy.
Then you're a fool.

Actually, it comes from years (yes, years) of seeing articles and blogs from liberals lambasting Cuomo, and articles and blogs from conservatives giving grudging approval to Cuomo.

Now, try and follow this thread and what I said. I was responding to a post in which a poster (not a Democrat) suggested that Cuomo is the liberal answer to Clinton. Did I say Cuomo is conservative? No. What I did point out that he is not the 'liberal answer to Clinton'. If you want to cling to the fallacy that he is to Clinton's left, you're welcome to that fallacy. My point (which should have been glaringly obvious to you) is that Cuomo is most certainly not a darling of the left. A rather significant chunk of the liberal left dislikes him rather intensely. The links I posted were done so to demonstrate that the left does not see Andrew Cuomo as a liberal alternative to Hillary Clinton.

I'm going to google again (go ahead and fetch the smelling salts if this again gives you the vapors):
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/58142.html
http://www.salon.com/2011/07/05/cuomo_not_liberal_lion/
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/05/gov-cuomo-increasing-criticized-by-liberal-base/
http://dinoexposed.com/como/index.html

Now see if you can find anything remotely comparable about the other Democratic Governor widely touted as a 2016 nomination-seeker - Martin O'Malley. You won't.

The left has a liberal darling. The name is Elizabeth Warren (and she's made it clear, not just publicly but to the critical power & donor base that every candidate even thinking about running cultivates, that she is not running). The name is most certainly not Andrew Cuomo. And your ridiculous quibbling of the substance of why some label Cuomo a conservative completely missed that point.

Next time, maybe you could respond to what I said, rather than flailing away at what you think I said because you didn't pay close enough attention to the discussion.

Last edited by Unsettomati; 11-22-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 AM

994 posts, read 1,204,593 times
Has Chris Christie/Susana Martinez been said yet?

Chris Christie-Susana Martinez: Is This Your 2016 Republican Ticket? - David A. Graham - The Atlantic

An interesting point made in that article is how unpopular a ticket with two moderates on it is these days. The demographic difference between Christie and Martinez (white male/Latina female) would play nicely nationally, though.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM

61,048 posts, read 30,951,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are mostly political junkies here and it is kind of fun to predict what we think will happen, but I am just not convinced Bush will even run, much less get the nod. I do like him, I have always liked him as well, if not more than the rest of the Bush's and he certainly can connect with Hispanics. Hillary, well it is still a wait and see game with her. I do think she will run, but like Bush, I am not sure she will end up getting the nomination. She might be a little too late.. Maybe part of my reasoning has to do with what I want to see or not see happen: I am so tired of the same ole, same ole. It is time for new faces and new names.

Progressive out, Progressive in. The media will have it no other way.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Has Chris Christie/Susana Martinez been said yet?

Chris Christie-Susana Martinez: Is This Your 2016 Republican Ticket? - David A. Graham - The Atlantic

An interesting point made in that article is how unpopular a ticket with two moderates on it is these days. The demographic difference between Christie and Martinez (white male/Latina female) would play nicely nationally, though.
I don't know how much you know about Susana M but she is anything but a moderate....

Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,204,593 times
Yeah, I don't think so either. She's somewhat progressive on government reform, though. Somewhat.

If anything her political leanings + being a Latina would be even better for Republicans. She'll appeal to the super-conservatives in the party while contradicting the "old white guy" image.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 8,836,491 times
Kerry, somewhere, maybe?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Yeah, I don't think so either. She's somewhat progressive on government reform, though. Somewhat.

If anything her political leanings + being a Latina would be even better for Republicans. She'll appeal to the super-conservatives in the party while contradicting the "old white guy" image.
She is a diamond in the rough, but I haven't seen any indication running has crossed her mind. Boy I hope she does....yes, she would certainly help the party and she is very popular in NM>

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,908,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

The left has a liberal darling. The name is Elizabeth Warren (and she's made it clear, not just publicly but to the critical power & donor base that every candidate even thinking about running cultivates, that she is not running). The name is most certainly not Andrew Cuomo
With Warren not running, it's hard to get excited about the race. Maybe Clinton/O'Malley or Hilda Solis, a progressive to balance out the Republican Lite Clinton.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 AM

10,405 posts, read 8,392,146 times
How about a tip from Caligula...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incitatus....Mr Ed would probably do a better job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or