Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,161,665 times

Advertisements

My prediction is as follows:

Chris Christie/Marco Rubio (R) VS Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine (D)

These aren't necessarily my favorite choices on either party...but I have a feeling that they'll run. Christie has been reluctant in the past but I think he will get wrangled into the fray eventually. He will have more broad bi-partisan appeal after the storm and could pull NJ red. Hillary will definitely be older but I think she still has presidential ambitions and regardless of age...Hill-Dawg is very popular and would stand a good shot of winning. As far as the VP choices...I think Rubio will be the GOP VP choice because the hammering we took from the Latino demographic this year. Rubio will help in pulling Florida and some Latino voters. For the Dems I chose Tim Kaine. I think he is a good VP candidate because he is fairly popular in the South which is the biggest opportunity area for the Democrats. Kaine is fairly moderate and he does well in the rural parts of VA. He would almost guarentee a VA and NC win for the Democratic ticket.

Do you guys agree with my predictions? Who are your predictions?

Last edited by wnewberry22; 11-16-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,398,744 times
I really hope you're wrong. I think Hillary would be very hard to beat, even if Obama's second term goes badly as I expect. If it does go really horribly, then even she would probably have a hard time winning (but I think she wouldn't even run if she thought she was likely to lose).

As far as Christie, before Sandy I would have said he would have been my first choice for 2016 if Romney lost. Now I don't think I could vote for him even in the general election, much less in the GOP primary.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM

113 posts, read 180,121 times
I think that your choices for the GOP candidates are realistic. I hope that you are right. Chris Christie would be an outstanding candidate and could really help the GOP in the northeast. He has proven that he can put the needs of his people above partisan politics. We need more politicians like that. Rubio would be a great VP, and maybe President later on.

I am not sure about Hillary. I don't know that she would want to run again given her age. If she did run, she would be a formidable candidate.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:56 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,927,598 times
Gary Johnson and anyone NOT a Democrat or Republican.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I think that your choices for the GOP candidates are realistic. I hope that you are right. Chris Christie would be an outstanding candidate and could really help the GOP in the northeast. He has proven that he can put the needs of his people above partisan politics. We need more politicians like that. Rubio would be a great VP, and maybe President later on.

I am not sure about Hillary. I don't know that she would want to run again given her age. If she did run, she would be a formidable candidate.
I'm hoping that Hillary's age stops her from running but I don't think it will. With Bill campaigning for her she would be a beast. I think that is why she is stepping down from the Secretary of State role. She will stay in the political spotlight until 2014 or so and then start campaigning I'd wager. I think she will operate much in the same way Romney did after losing out to McCain in 2008. Maybe start up a PAC and prepare for a run.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,398,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
He has proven that he can put the needs of his people above partisan politics. We need more politicians like that.
I actually think his response to Sandy was very motivated by politics. I think his response was precisely because he wanted to be President in 2017. Now I do not think that's what cost Romney the election, but it sure didn't help him.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM

753 posts, read 725,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
My prediction is as follows:

Chris Christie/Marco Rubio (R) VS Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine (D)

These aren't necessarily my favorite choices on either party...but I have a feeling that they'll run. Christie has been reluctant in the past but I think he will get wrangled into the fray eventually. He will have more broad bi-partisan appeal after the storm and could pull NJ red. Hillary will definitely be older but I think she still has presidential ambitions and regardless of age...Hill-Dawg is very popular and would stand a good shot of winning. As far as the VP choices...I think Rubio will be the GOP VP choice because the hammering we took from the Latino demographic this year. Rubio will help in pulling Florida and some Latino voters. For the Dems I chose Tim Kaine. I think he is a good VP candidate because he is fairly popular in the South which is the biggest opportunity area for the Democrats. Kaine is fairly moderate and he does well in the rural parts of VA. He would almost guarentee a VA and NC win for the Democratic ticket.
Rubio will be an obvious choice to be on the GOP short list for running mates. Christie, on the other hand, is saddled with some less-than-staunchly-conservative positions. This is not surprising, considering that he is a Republican in a fairly blue state. And the GOP may well decide that its recent choices to go with candidates with pasts full of conservative unorthodoxy (Romney and McCain) need to be countered with a candidate who has an impeccably conservative record.

Then there's the fact that the GOP has a strong tendency to go with the "guy who came in second last time" (see, Romney and McCain and Dole an GHW Bush and Reagan).

On the Democratic side, Clinton is the obvious favorite if she runs. Kaine is less obvious, I think. His insider/DNC link doesn't provide much balance to the obvious insider aspect of Clinton at the top of the ticket. His being from Virginia is an obvious bonus, though.

If Clinton doesn't run? Then Cuomo (who sounds like he won't run unless she declines to do so) and O'Malley would be the obvious favorites -- with the proviso that the Democrats, unlike Republicans, often go with a less obvious choice.

I think the likeliest tops of the tickets are Clinton and Santorum simply based on historical trends and history. Note that I said 'likeliest', which merely means I would rate them as each more likely, respectively, than any other individuals; it would not surprise me if they either or neither gets a 2016 nomination.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Rubio will be an obvious choice to be on the GOP short list for running mates. Christie, on the other hand, is saddled with some less-than-staunchly-conservative positions. This is not surprising, considering that he is a Republican in a fairly blue state. And the GOP may well decide that its recent choices to go with candidates with pasts full of conservative unorthodoxy (Romney and McCain) need to be countered with a candidate who has an impeccably conservative record.

Then there's the fact that the GOP has a strong tendency to go with the "guy who came in second last time" (see, Romney and McCain and Dole an GHW Bush and Reagan).

On the Democratic side, Clinton is the obvious favorite if she runs. Kaine is less obvious, I think. His insider/DNC link doesn't provide much balance to the obvious insider aspect of Clinton at the top of the ticket. His being from Virginia is an obvious bonus, though.

If Clinton doesn't run? Then Cuomo (who sounds like he won't run unless she declines to do so) and O'Malley would be the obvious favorites -- with the proviso that the Democrats, unlike Republicans, often go with a less obvious choice.

I think the likeliest tops of the tickets are Clinton and Santorum simply based on historical trends and history. Note that I said 'likeliest', which merely means I would rate them as each more likely, respectively, than any other individuals; it would not surprise me if they either or neither gets a 2016 nomination.
I hope with all of my heart and soul that our guy isn't Rick Santorum.

I may vote for the Libertarian if thats the case.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,328,592 times
Rubio/Rand Paul vs Clinton/??

Christie is a no-go. Not conservative enough. Too tied to failed Romney campaign. He also blew his speech at Republican Convention. He is toast.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM

753 posts, read 725,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I hope with all of my heart and soul that our guy isn't Rick Santorum.

I may vote for the Libertarian if thats the case.
I hope he isn't the Republican nominee, too.

It is highly unlikely I would vote for the GOP nominee, anyway. But I want their nominee to be someone better than Santorum in case that person ends up being our next President. And it may well be someone else who gets nominated. But based on trends and on his run this time around, I can definitely see a path to the nomination for him in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections