Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Pretty much how Reagan became "nationally known" too (yeah, I know he was a famous actor and governor but until the 1976 convention he wasn't seen as a "national" political figure).

Reagan's 1976 Republican Convention Speech | Fox News Video
Yes, he was.

His famous 'Time For Choosing' speech was in 1964, just before the election.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Time_for_Choosing

And he came in second to Nixon for the 1968 Republican nomination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1968#Primarie s

Reagan was a national political figure long before 1976.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Pretty much how Reagan became "nationally known" too (yeah, I know he was a famous actor and governor but until the 1976 convention he wasn't seen as a "national" political figure).

Reagan's 1976 Republican Convention Speech | Fox News Video
I am not sure how old you were in the 60s and 70s, but you have it a little mixed up. Reagan made his name known at the 1964 convention and then went at it the right way: He didn't make his name known by a single speech and then have people pushing for him to run for President. He ran for governor, spent 8 years making his name a household work, ran in 76 and almost got the nomination and then, in 80 did. The rest is history. There is no comparison between people like Carson and Reagan. BTW, I am not putting Carson down, I admire him and like his views, but no, he will not be a candidate or a serious one ever. At least that is my opinion.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I put forth three different thoughts in my post that you quoted, so which one are you talking about?

Also, what columns do you read? If there's one thing we can all say for sure, it's that some sources are WAY more biased/skewed than others. Remember the 2012 elections? The liberals had Obama winning by a wide margin, and the conservative base had Romney crushing Obama. Both were wrong, proving that the more lean your source has the more likely it is to be wrong.
and what conservative base had Romney crushing Obama? Even Rove, didn't say that. He did say if this and that happened Romney would win, but no one ever projected it would be by much.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, he was.

His famous 'Time For Choosing' speech was in 1964, just before the election.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Time_for_Choosing

And he came in second to Nixon for the 1968 Republican nomination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1968#Primarie s

Reagan was a national political figure long before 1976.
He was politically KNOWN nationally before 1976 but he was seen as a fringe Goldwaterite (mostly due to his actions against the Black Panthers in Sacramento as governor). The idea of him sitting in the White House was laughable to all but the most dyed-in-the-wool Northern and Western conservatives.

He was the Ted Cruz of his time. If Ted Cruz were to modify his message to appeal to a broader base of moderates it would be a lot like what Reagan did in '76.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure how old you were in the 60s and 70s, but you have it a little mixed up. Reagan made his name known at the 1964 convention and then went at it the right way: He didn't make his name known by a single speech and then have people pushing for him to run for President. He ran for governor, spent 8 years making his name a household work, ran in 76 and almost got the nomination and then, in 80 did. The rest is history. There is no comparison between people like Carson and Reagan. BTW, I am not putting Carson down, I admire him and like his views, but no, he will not be a candidate or a serious one ever. At least that is my opinion.
How can you give me that bio of Reagan (that I lived through and am well of, by the way) then tell me that Dr. Carson will NEVER be a serious candidate?

Wasn't your whole point that Reagan built his way up slowly? How many millions of Americans claimed Reagan would NEVER be a serious candidate before 1980?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
How can you give me that bio of Reagan (that I lived through and am well of, by the way) then tell me that Dr. Carson will NEVER be a serious candidate?

Wasn't your whole point that Reagan built his way up slowly? How many millions of Americans claimed Reagan would NEVER be a serious candidate before 1980?
Yes, that was my point and that is why Dr Carson will never be president. It took Reagan almost 20 years from his original speech to the Whitehouse,. In 20 years Dr Carson will be in his 80s. Had he started speaking, then running for state office 10 or 15 years ago, it might be a different story. You can't just think because he seems like a great candidate because of his beliefs he will automatically be ready to be President. Believe me, I completely support Carson, I am just realistic enough to know, those who believe he can pull this off are probably living in a dream world..

Old 11-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, that was my point and that is why Dr Carson will never be president. It took Reagan almost 20 years from his original speech to the Whitehouse,. In 20 years Dr Carson will be in his 80s. Had he started speaking, then running for state office 10 or 15 years ago, it might be a different story. You can't just think because he seems like a great candidate because of his beliefs he will automatically be ready to be President. Believe me, I completely support Carson, I am just realistic enough to know, those who believe he can pull this off are probably living in a dream world..
Why do you think there is a cosmic law that says if it took Reagan 20 years then it would take Carson 20 years too?

Obama went from unknown "community organizer" to president in a decade.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I don't know that she would want to run again given her age.
Women (probably) genetically live longer than men, and Ronald Reagan was older in January 1981 than Hillary Clinton would be in January 2017.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Women (probably) genetically live longer than men, and Ronald Reagan was older in January 1981 than Hillary Clinton would be in January 2017.
That is very true, but Reagan was in excellent health and very active when he ran. Hillary's health is questionable. She even looks old; will this be an issue? We will have to wait and see, it may not be, but more than likely it will. Even running now, with the primary scene the way it is and 24/7 media coverage is more stressful than is was 35 years ago.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Why do you think there is a cosmic law that says if it took Reagan 20 years then it would take Carson 20 years too?

Obama went from unknown "community organizer" to president in a decade.
of course Obama did, he also had a lot going for him, like charisma and he was still a lot younger. Even, if, Carson was able to build a name for himself, he needs to run for public office right now to get started and he would still be over 70 when he ran for President. As I have said, he is too little too late, plus the topic of this thread is: who will run in 2016, you said Carson, not you are saying in 10 or more years? Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections