Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:56 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,904,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yup. Professionals.

Fun fact from the article: Romney's team picked the name ORCA because the Orca is the Narwhal's only predator. Hubris, anyone?
What kind of orca is defeated by a narwhal - a girly one?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM

46,838 posts, read 25,764,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
What kind of orca is defeated by a narwhal - a girly one?
The sort that thinks that taking on narwhals are great for other orcas, but - when it looks like it will have to face an actual narwhal - runs off to the kelp banks?

Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,136,171 times
My husband and I worked for the local Democratic committee for a couple of weeks before the election. We volunteered our time doing calls from lists. We called people who hadn't registered to vote yet and asked if they had received the paperwork and we also called people on our lists to encourage them to vote.

The days before the election we walked around New Jersey and handed out brochures according to the printouts we were given. There was no "Orca" like app. It was simply printed-out lists of Democrats and the undecideds.

We worked for hours on streets that had been somewhat ravaged by Sandy. Many people were busy cleaning up the mess on the streets (trees down, etc). We were cold, hungry, and thirsty, and my feet really hurt, but we felt that we were doing something important.

The people we worked with were very devoted to the cause.

I love computers, smartphones, and other technology, but sometimes good old-fashioned low-tech efforts are the best way to do things!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,185,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
My husband and I worked for the local Democratic committee for a couple of weeks before the election. We volunteered our time doing calls from lists. We called people who hadn't registered to vote yet and asked if they had received the paperwork and we also called people on our lists to encourage them to vote.

The days before the election we walked around New Jersey and handed out brochures according to the printouts we were given. There was no "Orca" like app. It was simply printed-out lists of Democrats and the undecideds.

We worked for hours on streets that had been somewhat ravaged by Sandy. Many people were busy cleaning up the mess on the streets (trees down, etc). We were cold, hungry, and thirsty, and my feet really hurt, but we felt that we were doing something important.

I love computers, smartphones, and other technology, but sometimes good old-fashioned low-tech efforts are the best way to do things!
Thanks for helping. You were doing blue team canvassing, you were working off turf lists that a computer program developed. it was the red team that was concerned with voters voting status. OFA's red team was comparable to mittens dead whale. That red team part of the process tracked and identified who had or hadn't voted already so that we were only canvassing supporters that had not voted AND had a spotty voting history.

You not being in a true swing state did not see as much resources devoted to your area.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,492,120 times
This should be a lesson, never listen to a guy that refuses to give you any specifics but says just trust me because _______________.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
But! But!

Romney's such a genius manager at, like, everything, man!

He's so brilliant at running things!

That's why he's so totally electable!
Mittens was never a nuts and bolts managers, he was a pitch man, a "white board" presentation guy. He did try rolling out the white board once on the campaign trail, it didn't go well.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:27 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Don't be too hard on mittens, "strike list" based GOTV on election day are a crap shoot. Chances of success and increased turnout are minor. My guess is their best efforts wouldn't have added 1/2% to their total anywhere. R's don't need prodding to vote like dems do.
From my experience, I think this is true. Republicans consistently turn out and Democrats tend to sit out some elections, then show up in big numbers for others.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,904,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Mittens was never a nuts and bolts managers, he was a pitch man, a "white board" presentation guy. He did try rolling out the white board once on the campaign trail, it didn't go well.
True, but he still got too many freakin' votes. What were people thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

I am envious. This is what memories are made of.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,936,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
it may not have been field tested enough,
Not only was it not field tested enough, it wasn't rolled out until election day. That was the first time campaign staff got a chance to see it.
Among other issues, the system was never beta-tested or checked for functionality without going live before Election Day, two sources said. It went live that morning but was never checked for bugs or efficiencies internally. The volunteer at Ace of Spades also cited this issue but as one by which field workers couldn’t get to know the system ahead of Election Day. But inside Romneyland, officials were experiencing similar problems as votes were being cast…
Romney’s ORCA system was never beta-tested before going live on election day « Hot Air Headlines

Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not only was it not field tested enough, it wasn't rolled out until election day. That was the first time campaign staff got a chance to see it.
Among other issues, the system was never beta-tested or checked for functionality without going live before Election Day, two sources said. It went live that morning but was never checked for bugs or efficiencies internally. The volunteer at Ace of Spades also cited this issue but as one by which field workers couldn’t get to know the system ahead of Election Day. But inside Romneyland, officials were experiencing similar problems as votes were being cast…
Romney’s ORCA system was never beta-tested before going live on election day « Hot Air Headlines
The funny part is anonymous might have hacked into orca while they hacking Rove's vote flipping system.

YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections