U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 01:45 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,274,256 times

Advertisements

Its too late for the GOP...if they gave up their bigotry and religious fundamentalism, they would actually LOSE a MASSIVE chunk of their base who are nothing but hardcore racists, nativists and christian fundamentalists(ususally all three combined) than they would gain by accepting minorities into their fold. Those racists and bigots do not want anything to do with, in their own words, n******, sp***, g****, fa*****,heathens etc.

So I predict an even further shift into the arms of KKK, White Supremacists and Christian Taliban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,915,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Well, you can start by listening to Willard Romney's post election comments. First, just because an individual doesn't use racial slurs doesn't mean they aren't racist. Romney pointed out a lot of people who he claimed Obama was going to give "gifts" to and singled out minorities. When in fact, most of the people who would take advantage of healthcare and increased access to school loans are white. Most people on food stamps and public assistance are white and a vast majority are in red states.

Paul Ryan claiming that his ticket lost because of the "urban" turnout that they didn't expect (read lazy).

Attempting to make voting difficult in Florida but shortening early voting minorities generally take advantage of forcing 8 hour waits. All the other voter supression tecqniques focused solely at minorities. It's only from republicans toward minority communities.

John McCain stands up, without facts and implies that a black female Rhode Scholar isn't smart after he selected Palin. Not that she was wrong or had bad intelligence but that she wasn't smart. McCain in the 4 years since the Palin debacle has not said a word about Palin being an idiot as every other person in his campaign has said. But amazingly, one comment into Susan Rice's overt public career he makes this statement.

The Republican Party Chair in Maine who claimed too many black people came to vote and made remarks about knowing all the black people in the town because he plays basketball with them.

These are just a few of the recent racially motivated things that have occured. Most minoritiy adults can identify pretty easily a closet racist. These are republican party leaders to include it's most recent standard bearer. I shouldn't even have to mention talking heads like Rush or the ignorant tea-partiers who are just being lead by the talking heads. I'm talking about republican leadership.

The problem as most are beginning to realize is because republicans sequester themselves in a bubble of foxnews spin, drudge report nonsense and consevative radio blather.
You frosted them with that post. thanks

Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,915,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Thank you for your reply. Are you a minority - just curious? Anyway...

I don't think he was necessarily being racist. He was simply pointing out that a greater percentage of minorities would receive these "gifts." That is reality. Nevertheless, I think his comments were inappropriate and things like that should simply be unstated. As a Republican what I would like to see is everyone get off of these programs.

In sheer numbers, more of the people are white, but it is a valid point that a greater percentage of blacks and Hispanics use these programs. The part about the "vast majority" being in red states is simply irrelevant, even if true (and I'm not saying it is). I don't think liberals hating on conservative whites is accomplishing anything and that it's just as bad as conservatives commenting on minorities (and you ignored my post in another thread when I challenged your accusation about who exactly is voting Republican with actual data).

They needed to campaign in the cities. Yes, it was lazy for them to ignore them. Republicans cannot take the city vote but they cannot ignore it. It's all about margins.

I really think all the new voting laws caused a huge backlash and ended up increasing turnout. While I don't think voter ID laws are attempts at voter suppression, I think some of the other tactics are. I don't think these laws are made with racist intent, but instead entirely for political purposes. They are not trying to suppress minority votes, they are simply trying to suppress votes for Democrats. Unfortunately, because Democratic voters are disproportionately minority, minorities do seem to be targeted the most.

Sarah Palin is stupid. I find Susan Rice's conduct inappropriate, but I do think she is a smart woman.

That comment was highly inappropriate.

I wouldn't call most tea partiers racist, but they are disproportionately racist, though I think this is more because they are disproportionately white and older than anything. A lot of the conservative talking heads need to keep their mouths shut. I don't like what they are doing to the GOP and it goes beyond their effects on the GOP's chances with minority voters.

Well....I say the same about liberals and their MSNBC, ThinkProgress, HuffPost, etc.
You wanted answers and not even a full page yet and you are defending the bastards. Wake up!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM

493 posts, read 557,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I grew up in a conservative Chinese household, my parents who normally view Democrats with contempt at best could not deny what the Republicans have become. They who grew up under the Indonesian Military Junta headed up by Suharto voted for Obama this time around! I have to laugh at how many on the far right call Obama a tyrant, they really have no idea what that word really means.

-Stop sleeping with the Social Cons, they down right disturb me with their ideals of turning this country into the Christian version of Iran. I have been deployed to Afghanistan twice and I have seen first hand what religious extremism can do to a country, needless to say it's not a pretty sight. The Tea Party is a perfect example of why I despise the modern GOP, outside of their base full of crazies and racists, they've really done nothing at all to improve the GOP's image. Cut them loose and let them form their own little fringe party.
-Fiscal Conservatism as a leading platform and actually follow that up with actions. How can the GOP call themselves fiscally conservative when they have a disturbing number of its higher ups advocating a senseless war with Iran? That's another thing that galls me, the chicken hawks that lead the party that have no idea what it means to be in a combat zone, they need to get their wrinkled butts to Afghanistan to see why war should only utilized as a last resort.
Well said.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM

493 posts, read 557,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
I'm not a minority, but I just figured I'd chime in because I'm a voter whom the GOP should be able to get without much of a problem, and yet there is no way in hell I would vote for GOP right now. As I've told others, I don't even like voting for democrats; I vote for democrats to vote AGAINST republicans.

I cannot begin to speak for a minority. I am married to a minority, but that's not really the same. I can only offer my own perspective, based on what I have seen. Having grown up in the deep south, I've been the 'insider', the guy who hears all the redneck racist jokes that everyone feels comfortable telling me because they've assumed I'm one of them. I know the mentality.

What I saw over the last 4 years was beyond belief. I saw the president of the United States - and his wife - repeatedly treated with contempt and disrespect, not because of his policies in fact, but because of what people who wanted to stereotype him assumed his policies to be. They all assumed that because he was black, that he was the 'food stamp president' or the 'welfare' president. Obama's giving 'gifts' to the '47 percent who don't want to work'. Oh but blacks and Hispanics and Asians...they'll never know what you're talking about or whom you're talking about <eye roll>.

The republicans arrogantly and stubbornly assumed that all they had to do was to get to their 'base' of voters. In other words, just use the super majority that white voters have and fire them up. In short, theirs was a strategy of whipping up white paranoia; bringing out the very worst in the electorate; appealing to its fears, rather than appealing to its hopes and desires. Some of the rhetoric used by the right wing echoes that of the Reconstruction Era in the aftermath of the Civil War. Anyone who knows that history - blacks do, whites typically don't - knows how ghastly those times were. Read about Colfax. Read about the race riots of the 1870s. Read about peonage. Read about the Tulsa riots of 1921.

Blacks aren't the only ones who were having flashbacks to nightmares. The arrogance of the GOP, the anti-immigrant tenor (going well beyond the issue of merely illegal immigration) harks back to the times of the Exclusion Acts and the 'Yellow Menace'. My Asian wife and I discussed that more than once. Republicans think everyone who isn't white is stupid. The election was your writing on the wall: non-whites aren't nearly as thick as you think they are.

By far, the worst of the abuses over the last few years, were aimed at Hispanic Americans. It goes beyond just the Dream Act. Immigration reform is one thing. But proposing the legalization of profiling; proposing that it's okay to profile people, pull them over, and haul them off to jail until they can prove their identity...beyond the pale. Absolutely disgusting. If you think your party's going to repair the damage done to Hispanic-GOP relations just by passing immigration reform, think again. Not until you guys stop this insanity of legalized racial profiling will things change. It's an outrage. The outrage of all outrages.
This is one of the best posts read on CD. As a former Republican, and black man, I became flat out embarrassed by some of the things I heard and saw the first 4 years of Obama's administration. It's why I switched my vote.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM

820 posts, read 1,037,290 times
I recently read a quote by a political analyst that I think gets to the heart of the matter. I'll paraphrase it since I don't recall it exactly. It was something like this:

"Sure, Hispanics could be persuaded by a strong economic message from the Republicans. They're as affected by pocketbook issues as anybody else. But before they'll actually vote for them, they're going to have to be convinced that Republicans don't view them as subhuman."

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM

8,812 posts, read 9,635,219 times
Libertarians, Independents and Democrats all have in common the fact that they are "Federations," they are a conglomerates of people who are different in many ways from each other. Democrats for example have groups of people who don't see eye to eye on many issues. The Republican Party is fast becoming a dinosaur. It is becoming a monolith and is becoming the opposite of what the rest of the country is becoming.
I think the Democrats will move on beyond gaining the minority vote for the next election. If they run some one with Military and business credentials the GOP would be out of it for a generation.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Its too late for the GOP...if they gave up their bigotry and religious fundamentalism, they would actually LOSE a MASSIVE chunk of their base who are nothing but hardcore racists, nativists and christian fundamentalists(ususally all three combined) than they would gain by accepting minorities into their fold. Those racists and bigots do not want anything to do with, in their own words, n******, sp***, g****, fa*****,heathens etc.

So I predict an even further shift into the arms of KKK, White Supremacists and Christian Taliban.
I don't agree, really. Yes, there's clearly the faction that wants to hear about how Hispanics are all illegals, that black Americans think they've been treated unfairly and want to punish whites, how Asians are all subservient and communist, blah blah blah. This will still hurt them at the national level.

However, We've also had Bob Dole selecting Jack Kemp as his VP, GWB's attempts to recruit black voters, and John McCain discussing race rationally, and grabbing the mic back from that old lady when she went off the rails. And they all kept their voters. The GOP still needs a good recruitment effort - avoiding cities isn't working for them at all, and Obama's outreach to black voters in particular was astonishing. But this isn't something they can't turn around over time, if they start at the local level.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM

31,698 posts, read 14,614,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
I recently read a quote by a political analyst that I think gets to the heart of the matter. I'll paraphrase it since I don't recall it exactly. It was something like this:

"Sure, Hispanics could be persuaded by a strong economic message from the Republicans. They're as affected by pocketbook issues as anybody else. But before they'll actually vote for them, they're going to have to be convinced that Republicans don't view them as subhuman."
What a crock!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,495,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What a crock!
its this type of response from people like you that show the GOP doesn't get it. We keep telling how the GOP makes us feel, yet this is how you respond, by denying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or