U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,280,871 times
Reputation: 6260

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
its this type of response from people like you that show the GOP doesn't get it. We keep telling how the GOP makes us feel, yet this is how you respond, by denying it.
Actually, the GOP has a tendency to tell groups how they feel,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,494,378 times
Reputation: 1238
Here is another thing that continues to drive me crazy with the GOP, especially in this forum, when they bring up that it was republicans who freed the slaves and they voted for the 1964 CRA more than democrats, as if we don't know that the republican party of today is not the same as it was of yesterday. We keep pointing that out that fact to them, but yet, they keep telling us the same talking points as if that is going to convince us to join their party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM
 
58 posts, read 40,023 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Here is another thing that continues to drive me crazy with the GOP, especially in this forum, when they bring up that it was republicans who freed the slaves and they voted for the 1964 CRA more than democrats, as if we don't know that the republican party of today is not the same as it was of yesterday. We keep pointing that out that fact to them, but yet, they keep telling us the same talking points as if that is going to convince us to join their party.
They can't keep saying it if they don't believe it themselves. Best salesman is the one who buys the pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 AM
 
397 posts, read 198,394 times
Reputation: 105
Here is what I wanted to see from Romney. Show us by your actions. For example come out strongly when Santorum said this

Santorum targets blacks in entitlement reform - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

He and other GOP leaders had many opportunities to change the perception. When someone extreme does or says something offensive and you say nothing,you agree with them in the eyes of the group being attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,779,496 times
Reputation: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Here is what I wanted to see from Romney. Show us by your actions. For example come out strongly when Santorum said this

Santorum targets blacks in entitlement reform - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

He and other GOP leaders had many opportunities to change the perception. When someone extreme does or says something offensive and you say nothing,you agree with them in the eyes of the group being attacked.
If Romney actually said something like this he would have won. His mistake with the 47% comment is that it was too large and included many Republican leaning folks who have paid into the system and are rightfully drawing benefits. He should have confined his wrath towards the real moochers.

The one time Romney actually improved his standing in Ohio before the 1st debate was when he ran the Obama changing welfare ad. I don't know why he stopped it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,697,317 times
Reputation: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If Romney actually said something like this he would have won. His mistake with the 47% comment is that it was too large and included many Republican leaning folks who have paid into the system and are rightfully drawing benefits. He should have confined his wrath towards the real moochers.

The one time Romney actually improved his standing in Ohio before the 1st debate was when he ran the Obama changing welfare ad. I don't know why he stopped it.
You do know that wasn't true though, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM
 
14,398 posts, read 7,100,371 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If Romney actually said something like this he would have won. His mistake with the 47% comment is that it was too large and included many Republican leaning folks who have paid into the system and are rightfully drawing benefits. He should have confined his wrath towards the real moochers.

The one time Romney actually improved his standing in Ohio before the 1st debate was when he ran the Obama changing welfare ad. I don't know why he stopped it.
If Romney had said something like that - that he would get "black" people specifically off handouts, he would have lost Ohio by more points than what he did. White Ohioans, like most white citizens of this country, are not overwhelmingly racist and even white Republicans in Ohio are more moderate than southerners. As someone from Ohio who now lives in the south - in a supposedly liberal bastion of the state - Atlanta - I can attest to the fact that many Democrats here are similar to Republicans in Ohio and they don't like racial division and most are aware that the vast majority of black people work.

Like I told you during the election season, Romney was not going to win Ohio anyway, no matter what sort of racist ads he had/has on TV. I will be honest and say that I think you (EdwardA) are placing too much emphasis on race in general in regards to the GOP turnout. Contrary to what you believe and many in the GOP, white people aren't just going to support you just because they are white! White and GOP are not the same. There are many white Democrats and Ohio is a big union, auto manufacturing, working class state. White men in Ohio turned out more for Obama than Romney, that should be your proof that more white turnout is not going to make it a big win for GOP candidates - they can't even win white men!! With the dumb comments about rape and abortion you should already know that a majority of white women are not going to support them so this whole "more whites = more GOP voters" is just ridiculous.

What I suggest is the GOP mentoring some of their retired alumni and studying up on the issues and ideals of former GOP representatives. Olympia Snowe, George Voinovich, Warren Rudman, even Dwight Eisenhower. You need some sort of Republican education to see what a progressive, moderate Republican looks like. Drop all the racial rhetoric, focus on fiscal issues and use fiscal conservatism as a model for improving social programs instead of trying to use those programs in a racial or class division fashion. Drop all the religious crap. Even religious people don't like hearing that crap. And quit thinking that just because someone is white they will support you, just because someone is black they won't support you, just because someone is Asian they should support you, just because someone is hispanic they only care about immigration and/or are illegal. We are all actually listening to you and what you are saying just does not fit with the ideals and values that most Americans share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,779,496 times
Reputation: 6259
There are many variables as to why Romney lost. Black turnout would have been there regardless. So his only hope was to over perform among Whites. He actually did but not enough. A republican in the 80s came within a few thousand votes of defeating Harold Washington because of racial animus. We all know how effective daddy Bushs horton ad was in his election efforts. Harold Ford is now toiling away on MSMBC because his opponent portrayed him as some guy who liked to party with white women. to suggest racial animus doesnt have a role in politics is silly. Obama is president because he stoked racial animus while Romney did not.

I should also be clear though Romney wouldn't have been so crass to name Blacks specifically but you use "code words" and boil issues down to the local level. The Section 8 family that causes havoc in the middle class neighborhood. Folks like notions of fair play. Hence why Obama was so successful as portraying Romney as some kind of rich guy who doesn't play by the rules. Conversely if Romney had boiled down the safety net as an issue of fairness, "You go off to work, while they sit around and get free stuff." It would have resonated, in fact it did resonate with the welfare ads that's why Chris Matthews and others hit him hard for it. They know the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If Romney had said something like that - that he would get "black" people specifically off handouts, he would have lost Ohio by more points than what he did. White Ohioans, like most white citizens of this country, are not overwhelmingly racist and even white Republicans in Ohio are more moderate than southerners. As someone from Ohio who now lives in the south - in a supposedly liberal bastion of the state - Atlanta - I can attest to the fact that many Democrats here are similar to Republicans in Ohio and they don't like racial division and most are aware that the vast majority of black people work.

Like I told you during the election season, Romney was not going to win Ohio anyway, no matter what sort of racist ads he had/has on TV. I will be honest and say that I think you (EdwardA) are placing too much emphasis on race in general in regards to the GOP turnout. Contrary to what you believe and many in the GOP, white people aren't just going to support you just because they are white! White and GOP are not the same. There are many white Democrats and Ohio is a big union, auto manufacturing, working class state. White men in Ohio turned out more for Obama than Romney, that should be your proof that more white turnout is not going to make it a big win for GOP candidates - they can't even win white men!! With the dumb comments about rape and abortion you should already know that a majority of white women are not going to support them so this whole "more whites = more GOP voters" is just ridiculous.

What I suggest is the GOP mentoring some of their retired alumni and studying up on the issues and ideals of former GOP representatives. Olympia Snowe, George Voinovich, Warren Rudman, even Dwight Eisenhower. You need some sort of Republican education to see what a progressive, moderate Republican looks like. Drop all the racial rhetoric, focus on fiscal issues and use fiscal conservatism as a model for improving social programs instead of trying to use those programs in a racial or class division fashion. Drop all the religious crap. Even religious people don't like hearing that crap. And quit thinking that just because someone is white they will support you, just because someone is black they won't support you, just because someone is Asian they should support you, just because someone is hispanic they only care about immigration and/or are illegal. We are all actually listening to you and what you are saying just does not fit with the ideals and values that most Americans share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 AM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,639,708 times
Reputation: 14470
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If Romney actually said something like this he would have won. His mistake with the 47% comment is that it was too large and included many Republican leaning folks who have paid into the system and are rightfully drawing benefits. He should have confined his wrath towards the real moochers.

The one time Romney actually improved his standing in Ohio before the 1st debate was when he ran the Obama changing welfare ad. I don't know why he stopped it.
LOL...this might be the most amazing thing i've ever seen posted on C-D. I mean, i know that you're on a mission to say something more outrageous than you last said...that's obvious. But you're getting into territory that is starting to bring your sanity into question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,697,317 times
Reputation: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There are many variables as to why Romney lost. Black turnout would have been there regardless. So his only hope was to over perform among Whites. He actually did but not enough. A republican in the 80s came within a few thousand votes of defeating Harold Washington because of racial animus. We all know how effective daddy Bushs horton ad was in his election efforts. Harold Ford is now toiling away on MSMBC because his opponent portrayed him as some guy who liked to party with white women. to suggest racial animus doesnt have a role in politics is silly. Obama is president because he stoked racial animus while Romney did not.

I should also be clear though Romney wouldn't have been so crass to name Blacks specifically but you use "code words" and boil issues down to the local level. The Section 8 family that causes havoc in the middle class neighborhood. Folks like notions of fair play. Hence why Obama was so successful as portraying Romney as some kind of rich guy who doesn't play by the rules. Conversely if Romney had boiled down the safety net as an issue of fairness, "You go off to work, while they sit around and get free stuff." It would have resonated, in fact it did resonate with the welfare ads that's why Chris Matthews and others hit him hard for it. They know the deal.
Sigh.

Or maybe he could have tried to be more inclusive? How's that for an idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top