U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,824,570 times
Reputation: 4539

Advertisements

As far as the talk of a "ceiling" among the different racial groups, I would say the GOP ceiling (nationally) right now is about 63% among whites. Obama was polling in the mid 30's among whites at times during this election cycle...and I mean in the past few months and even in the few weeks before the election in some polls. I also think that's about the percentage of the white vote the GOP got in 2010. Among Hispanics, I would say the ceiling is 44% if they really work for it (what Bush got in 04, though that may be a higher percentage than the actual percentage because of exit poll issues). I have no idea what the ceiling would be among Asians and blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
 
397 posts, read 199,917 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
More of this sore winner attitude.... And hatred...



Yeah....and I could list a million other companies/universities.

BTW, Romney won the wealthy who I don't see how things would be "made" in this country without (yes, Obama won those with advanced degrees).



Umm, let's see...New Mexico, Texas, Vermont, Georgia. Why don't you look the figures up for these states? I think you need to look at high population vs. low population states more than blue vs. red, as well as where military bases are located, etc.
You took the time to break down that post but ignore the real reason why Minorities don't want anything to do with your party. The attitude and mindset of poster EdwardA was not challenged by one Republican voter. And there is plenty there to challenge. Unless that is the general belief among the GOP.

That is why people view the Republican party as anti-Black,Hispanic and other. Once comments like that are made the base is silent. Therefore silence is agreement to the groups that are insulted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,824,570 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
You took the time to break down that post but ignore the real reason why Minorities don't want anything to do with your party. The attitude and mindset of poster EdwardA was not challenged by one Republican voter. And there is plenty there to challenge. Unless that is the general belief among the GOP.

That is why people view the Republican party as anti-Black,Hispanic and other. Once comments like that are made the base is silent. Therefore silence is agreement to the groups that are insulted.
Point taken, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to defend the GOP when people (like BanjanYankee) smear it.

I do find Edward's remarks inappropriate but, remember (assuming you knew already), Edward is black himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,523,681 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
You took the time to break down that post but ignore the real reason why Minorities don't want anything to do with your party. The attitude and mindset of poster EdwardA was not challenged by one Republican voter..
Really? I happen to vote for both parties, but it ends up the majority of the time, I favor the GOP.

The difference between myself and most is country comes so far above party, I could not see it from any party hq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,523,681 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I do find Edward's remarks inappropriate but, remember (assuming you knew already), Edward is black himself.
And why would that matter? His comments are repulsive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,671 posts, read 24,965,132 times
Reputation: 11241
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
More of this sore winner attitude.... And hatred...
"Sore winner" is oxymoronic. And there's no hatred of the Right. We simply want to dispense of them. Then we can get on with universal healthcare, combating climate change and exploring alternative fuel sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yeah....and I could list a million other companies/universities.
The institutions that are moving the world economy forward are in Blue States. Sorry, but Sewanee is no match for Yale, Caltech, M.I.T. and Stanford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
BTW, Romney won the wealthy who I don't see how things would be "made" in this country without (yes, Obama won those with advanced degrees).
We don't need T. Boone Pickens. We'll just take our software developers, scientists, engineers, architects, medical researchers, etc. You know, all of the people that develop the technology we all depend on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Umm, let's see...New Mexico, Texas, Vermont, Georgia. Why don't you look the figures up for these states? I think you need to look at high population vs. low population states more than blue vs. red, as well as where military bases are located, etc.
Red states take more than they put in. Period. Yet they're constantly complaining about being overtaxed.

Most Red States Take More Money From Washington Than They Put In | Mother Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
 
397 posts, read 199,917 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Point taken, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to defend the GOP when people (like BanjanYankee) smear it.

I do find Edward's remarks inappropriate but, remember (assuming you knew already), Edward is black himself.
See theres the problem OP. You try to make light of such comments as is often done by the GOP leadership. Now after you make light of them I as an minority am none to happy that you did. Along comes a Democrat like Debbie Wasserman Schultz who then says something like this "these comments are deeply offensive and racist". "There is no place for that mindset in my party".

A strong forceful rejection of such thinking is what we get from a White Democrat. A lukewarm at best half defense of the comments is what Republicans offer us,and then you say why oh why.

Last edited by Zarius; 11-21-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,565 posts, read 15,865,122 times
Reputation: 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And why would that matter? His comments are repulsive.
They're repulsive only to those who find facts repulsive. Again no one has refuted my posts based on facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM
 
397 posts, read 199,917 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They're repulsive only to those who find facts repulsive. Again no one has refuted my posts based on facts.
You have no facts. You Assume a great deal but you have no facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Maryland
18,565 posts, read 15,865,122 times
Reputation: 6264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
See theres the problem OP. You try to make light of such comments as is often done by the GOP leadership. Now after you make light of them I as an minority am none to happy that you did. Along comes a Democrat like Debbie Wasserman Schultz who then says something like this "these comments are deeply offensive and racist". "There is no place for that mindset in my party".

A strong forceful rejection of such thinking is what we get from White Democrat. A lukewarm at best half defense of the comments is what Republicans offer us,and then you say why oh why.
Again it's hard to refute something that is factually correct. What did I say that's incorrect? I'm sorry if the truth hurts but so be it. There is little the GOP can do to get any meaningful amount of the Black vote. Other liberal Black voters have said similar things on this thread. The overwhelming majority of Blacks are left of center, unless the GOP moves left of center they're not going to get many Black votes.

I'm not sure why folks have a problem with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top