U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:37 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,754,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Thank you for your reply. Are you a minority - just curious? Anyway...

Yes

I don't think he was necessarily being racist. He was simply pointing out that a greater percentage of minorities would receive these "gifts." That is reality. Nevertheless, I think his comments were inappropriate and things like that should simply be unstated. As a Republican what I would like to see is everyone get off of these programs.

That's what he expects, that nobody will necessarily think he's racist but minorities see right though that. Why point them out in the first place? Romney's a special case though because his extreme sense of entitlement makes me wonder if he cares for anybody outside of his tiny circle.

In sheer numbers, more of the people are white, but it is a valid point that a greater percentage of blacks and Hispanics use these programs. The part about the "vast majority" being in red states is simply irrelevant, even if true (and I'm not saying it is). I don't think liberals hating on conservative whites is accomplishing anything and that it's just as bad as conservatives commenting on minorities (and you ignored my post in another thread when I challenged your accusation about who exactly is voting Republican with actual data).

When have liberals hated on conservative whites? Have democrates saught to make voting harder for them? I don't recall what you posted in another thread, I occassionally step away from the computer. Again, why does race even matter (if it doesn't to Romney) if every group will have access to said "gifts"?

They needed to campaign in the cities. Yes, it was lazy for them to ignore them. Republicans cannot take the city vote but they cannot ignore it. It's all about margins.

When I wrote (read lazy) I meant in terms of minorities not taking the time to get out and vote. All of the data said otherwise but Ryan still thought they wouldn't turn out.

I really think all the new voting laws caused a huge backlash and ended up increasing turnout. While I don't think voter ID laws are attempts at voter suppression, I think some of the other tactics are. I don't think these laws are made with racist intent, but instead entirely for political purposes. They are not trying to suppress minority votes, they are simply trying to suppress votes for Democrats. Unfortunately, because Democratic voters are disproportionately minority, minorities do seem to be targeted the most.

They are trying to supress the minority vote because minorities don't vote for them politically. How about the reach out to minorities instead of trying ot prevent them from voting. Voter suppression is never done in white democratic areas.

Sarah Palin is stupid. I find Susan Rice's conduct inappropriate, but I do think she is a smart woman.

That comment was highly inappropriate.

I wouldn't call most tea partiers racist, but they are disproportionately racist, though I think this is more because they are disproportionately white and older than anything. A lot of the conservative talking heads need to keep their mouths shut. I don't like what they are doing to the GOP and it goes beyond their effects on the GOP's chances with minority voters.

I agree.

Well....I say the same about liberals and their MSNBC, ThinkProgress, HuffPost, etc.
I just said this in another thread, MSNBC, Fox and the like are entertainment channels. One needs to be able to differentiate between entertainment and journalism but most can't. Fox tricked a lot of people this past election which would've turned a real news on it's head but they keep plugging along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,149,622 times
Quote:
How did Romney associate himself with the birthers? Are you talking about his relationship with The Donald? As far as immigration, there is a difference between legal and illegal immigration. Even most liberals see that.

Robert Byrd was a Democrat. He was in the Senate until his death in 2009.

I don't think most Latinos have at least a few illegal immigrants in their family, but I do think most at least know a few. A lot have some in their families, but I wouldn't say "most." Illegal immigration is a problem that needs to be dealt with regardless. Would you suggest that the GOP simply ignore it? Even the Democrats at least say they don't think it should be ignored. Remember Obama deported all those illegals (even though he changed the way deportations were calculated, he was touting his record on deporting illegals). Why is Obama OK even though his administration broke up their families?
I'm just pointing out reasons why minorities don't like to vote for Republicans, has pointing out Robert Byrd ever made any black person you know say "wow he's a racist, I'm only voting Republican from now on!"? Arguing that these reasons don't exist and wishing them away won't do any Republican any good. The GOP has so many loud bigoted apples in its basket that you can't really help but be turned off.

Look at R Money's comments that Obama won because he gave minorities free stuff rather than admitting his campaign had any faults. He's being patronizing in assuming people of color to be simpletons who can't think for themselves and take free stuff. That kind of stuff is why GOP minority outreach is often so laughable and frequent Daily Show fodder.

I think you missed a lot of Romney's courting of the birthers: his "joke" about being a candidate born in this country as opposed to others and pretty much slyly skirting the issue and courting people like Hairpiece and Glenn Beck as surrogates creeped people out a bit.

Romney and the Republicans outright said they wanted to make life miserable for illegals so they self deport. Obama did deport some but his position on the issue was comprehensive immigration reform with a path to legal residency. Romney on the other hand, pandered to the bigots who just want Mexicans out. He tried to flip flop later on but that worked out about as well as slapping on the orange makeup at the Univision interview

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 PM

8,812 posts, read 9,628,984 times
Quote:
As it turned out, Romney received more black votes than zero and actually more than McCain. But black turnout (an overwhelming majority still for Obama obviously) was actually up I believe.

I agree with this despite being more socially liberal than most Republicans. I think it would have been a better tactic with Hispanic voters (I really think the whole "compassionate conservatism" thing is a big part of why Bush got more than 40% of the Hispanic vote in 04 and that his pro-amnesty stance was only a very small part of why).

Well, here's the thing, we do want to get rid of these programs (or at least true fiscal conservatives do, and Bush really wasn't one). But what I think could be done is increased messaging specifically geared towards black and Hispanic voters on plans to spur job growth and on the fiscal conservatism in general.

Social Programs are a necessary evil for capitalism to work. If every one who wanted a job had a job, the Unions would be too powerful. Having 4% of the population looking for work perpetually keeps wages in check. It is an unrealistic objective to get rid of welfare. Welfare is one of the things conservatives need to have the wisdom to know they have to accept and try to change. Attacking social programs allows conservatives to attack: women, children, physically and mentally challenged , minorities and senior citizens. Barack Obama doesn't need to reach out to Republicans he needs to reach out to the American people and keep the Republican party irrelevant.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,270,415 times
I'll be blunt - I don't even get why white people vote for republicans. I know full well that we have some clowns in the Democratic Party, but man the GOP is way off base. All this blathering about "legitimate rape", and how evil same-sex marriage is. A Party that decides it's big theme for it's convention would be "We Built It". Conspiracy theories about vaccines and light bulbs. Frontrunners including a guy that wants a moon colony, and a guy that can't answer basic foreign policy questions. A group that can't stand up to a shock jock who calls himself a satirist, but clearly has no idea what satire is. Bottom of their class senators who call Rhodes scholars "not that bright". A party who thinks the correct way to create jobs is to eliminate jobs - unless they're in defense, in which case they're sacred.

By the way, I'm a defense worker, and even I shake my had at that one.

Oh, and yes, the voter suppression, based on the delusion of "voter fraud". That one ought to turn *everyone* against the GOP, not just black and Latino voters.

Look, man, thanks for the offer, but way too many of the people in your party have lost their minds lately.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,115,121 times
Romney lost a lot of people when he said "Corporations are people too". That comment is just unreal. Nothing reads "out of touch with most Americans" than that.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:58 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,399,640 times
I can guarantee you that every time you hear about Universities wanting to make sure that minorities are well represented on their campus, the objections you hear are ALWAYS from Republicans. Minorities KNOW that college is the ticket to a better financial life. So when Republicans are seen CONSTANTLY trying to obstruct what efforts there are to GET more minorities in school, minorities are not going to vote for somebody intentionally trying to hold them back. And it's not as if Republicans are saying "colleges, don't up your minority population THIS WAY, instead increase your minority population THAT way. No, Republicans are saying don't put forth any effort to get minorities on your campus, and if that results in few minorities on your campus, so be it. Putting obstacles in minorities' economic path and not reaching out with offers of solutions of ACTION and not just words- that is the way to push minority votes away. Yet that is exactly what Republicans are doing and are perfectly comfortable WITH doing.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,941,847 times
Quote:
Well, the GOP took a beating among minority voters. That's pretty obvious. What I would like to do is start a dialogue with the minority voters on this forum (those who voted for Obama, obviously if you voted for Romney this doesn't apply to you) about changes the Republicans could make to attract you to their party. Some of you are fairly conservative. For those of you who have the idea that the Republican Party is a racist party, I would like to know why. While I understand there are some Republican voters who are racist and some conservative talk show personalities and the like, I fail to see how Republican politicians/candidates are racist. Even if there are a few isolated cases, I fail to see how the party platform or how the majority or even any minority other than perhaps a very small fringe of Republican politicians/candidates are racist.

I am starting this thread with the very best of intentions. I have been called racist on this forum and I don't understand why. Just because I'm a Republican?!? I have black and Hispanic friends (I'm not just saying that; I just had drinks with a black friend the other day). I have always worked with blacks and Hispanics and have always seen them as the same as everyone else. I am not trying to start any kind of conflict. I am simply trying to start a discussion. I do hope we can welcome more of you in to our party. Yes, we need your votes, but even if we could win with zero minority votes I wouldn't want the GOP to win in that case or even with 20% of minority votes. Does a large group of minority voters fear the Republican Party? If so, why? And what can be done to change this?
I've said it before, I'll say it again: I am not interested in a platform based on social conservative issues. If the GOP insists on standing on that platform every - single - time, then I will not vote for them every - single - time.

[every single time]

Old 11-17-2012, 03:11 PM

833 posts, read 528,310 times
I am a Filipino whose group belongs in the Asian category (where the hell is my gift?) i get mistaken by a lot of people (mainly by whites) thinking im hispanic.

I have NEVER, EVER voted for a liberal. When i see the hatred and vile projected onto Obama and what some white folks have projected onto me since these last 4 years - whether they be in real life experiences or here on the internet.
It doesnt offer any kind of recourse for the likes.

The one good thing that came out of this if i can all it that, is that Asians from all walks of life and Ethnicity found themselves talking and building coalitions with one another. We all agreed on how stupid and biggoted the republicans have become. We were like, man, they can do that to a Black President?.

When i came to the fray, it seems these folks already done their research, they already knew what i just found out and they did it quietly. I was dumbfounded.

Anyways, we shared out stories and decided to mobilize quietly and make a statement. The shocking news of how Asians voted was priceless. btw these folks were just your average joe in the streets.

I tried to warn people, but they dont listen, i think they forgot how to listen. republicans

The message was simple. Sick & tired of the BS? Want a respected voice? = OBAMA.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:27 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,964,024 times
1. Start treating us like human beings. Stop invoking stereotypes to scare up your "base" voters. Blacks are lazy. Hispanics are criminals. Asians are greedy. Muslims are violent. Gays are sexual predators. The poor are happy to be on welfare. We are smart enough to recognize coded messages.

2. Show some common sense. You lost two easy Senate races this cycle because candidates were stupid enough to justify rape. While we're on the topic, women are more than just incubators for your babies. Please show them some respect. Women vote, fetuses do not.

3. Actions speak louder than words. Do not expect us to vote for you after you propose or pass legislation that makes it harder for us to vote, denies freedoms you take for granted (ie, marriage), or severely restricts a person's rights to their own body (abortion).

4. Drop the "let them eat cake" attitude. The message that the rich have less responsibility than you for common good, and you should be grateful to them that they give you a job, is insulting. This country has too many working poor who are one paycheck away from homelessness. Don't diminish their hard work; a person's value is more than their net worth.

5. We have memories that are longer than the news cycle. For example, railing against illegal immigration in Arizona, then next week in Florida pretend you didn't make those comments. Youtube and Tivo never forget.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:59 PM

493 posts, read 557,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
I am a Filipino whose group belongs in the Asian category (where the hell is my gift?) i get mistaken by a lot of people (mainly by whites) thinking im hispanic.

I have NEVER, EVER voted for a liberal. When i see the hatred and vile projected onto Obama and what some white folks have projected onto me since these last 4 years - whether they be in real life experiences or here on the internet.
It doesnt offer any kind of recourse for the likes.

The one good thing that came out of this if i can all it that, is that Asians from all walks of life and Ethnicity found themselves talking and building coalitions with one another. We all agreed on how stupid and biggoted the republicans have become. We were like, man, they can do that to a Black President?.

When i came to the fray, it seems these folks already done their research, they already knew what i just found out and they did it quietly. I was dumbfounded.

Anyways, we shared out stories and decided to mobilize quietly and make a statement. The shocking news of how Asians voted was priceless. btw these folks were just your average joe in the streets.

I tried to warn people, but they dont listen, i think they forgot how to listen. republicans

The message was simple. Sick & tired of the BS? Want a respected voice? = OBAMA.
If you go read my post you'll see we pretty much have the same thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or