U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 AM

2,004 posts, read 1,270,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Allow me to correct your statement:

Supporters or politicians who make racist comments need to be rebuked by the party members firmly and swiftly.
I actually don't agree with either statement, unless they're high-profile supporters. I couldn't care less what some random Romney supporter from West Virginia or South Boston or wherever has to say about Obama's skin color.

My problem with the modern GOP is simple. McCain, at least, was clearly uninterested with bigotry. It was as plain as the nose on his face, and he when some old lady started ranting about how she was afraid Obama was a Muslim, he basically shut her down and corrected her. I didn't vote for McCain, but I did listen to him, and I did respect him.

When I saw Romney get up on stage and heap praise on Donald Trump, I decided to vote straight Democratic Party. President, Senate, House, State elections, every decision that had a party attached was decided right then. I went off to learn about the local school board, instead. Granted, I wasn't going to vote for Romney. Partly, that's because I'm a leftie. Partly, it's because I lived in Massachusetts when he was the governor, and he was clearly only interested in using Mass. as a stepping stone towards the presidency. But Romney took things to an extreme, and so I decided to send a message to the GOP.

I reserve hope that their next nominee will be someone like Huntsman, Cristie, or Huckabee. Guys I probably won't vote for, but could at least listen to without walking off in disgust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,594,064 times
Quote:
The anti-gay rhetoric of most of the Republican Party disgusts me though.
I think it's the anti-rhetoric in general in the GOP. Anti-gay, anti-black (implied), anti-immigrant, anti-science, anti-education (Santorum, anyone?), anti everything.

The GOP needs to stop being the anti party, and needs to stop being the party of stupid. Climate change shouldn't even be up for discussion at this point, but the GOP and their allies keep dragging it out while Rome burns. There is no reason why this country cannot supply healthcare for everybody, and indeed, I think that a single payer system could be championed as a conservative cause because it would be a boon for business. You guys ARE going to lose the gay marriage fight, likely sooner rather than later.

Prop 8 won in CA in 2008, 52-48. Gay marriage passed in WA this year 52-48, in a state that is not as Democratic leaning as CA. You can see where the trend is clearly going.

I think the GOP needs a clear, concise vision of what it stands for, rather than the platitudes that Romney spouted on the campaign.

"We're for freedom!" WTF does that even mean?

Quote:
When I saw Romney get up on stage and heap praise on Donald Trump
ITA. The GOP establishment has a knack for legitimizing all of these raving idiots just because they spout Conservative values. The problem is that they're STILL raving idiots.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,019,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This isn't the first time you've said that, but the Book of Mormon actually says no such thing. The references to a dark skin in the Book of Mormon don't even have anything to do with "Blacks" (as in the Negro race), and the Church's policy of banning Black men from holding the priesthood had nothing to do with anything in the Book of Mormon. As a matter of fact, it had no scriptural basis at all.
Um, care to comment?
The Book of Mormon - What is the "Mark of Cain" in the Book of Mormon? (showing 1-41 of 41)

Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,788,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
I actually don't agree with either statement, unless they're high-profile supporters. I couldn't care less what some random Romney supporter from West Virginia or South Boston or wherever has to say about Obama's skin color.

My problem with the modern GOP is simple. McCain, at least, was clearly uninterested with bigotry. It was as plain as the nose on his face, and he when some old lady started ranting about how she was afraid Obama was a Muslim, he basically shut her down and corrected her. I didn't vote for McCain, but I did listen to him, and I did respect him.

When I saw Romney get up on stage and heap praise on Donald Trump, I decided to vote straight Democratic Party. President, Senate, House, State elections, every decision that had a party attached was decided right then. I went off to learn about the local school board, instead. Granted, I wasn't going to vote for Romney. Partly, that's because I'm a leftie. Partly, it's because I lived in Massachusetts when he was the governor, and he was clearly only interested in using Mass. as a stepping stone towards the presidency. But Romney took things to an extreme, and so I decided to send a message to the GOP.

I reserve hope that their next nominee will be someone like Huntsman, Cristie, or Huckabee. Guys I probably won't vote for, but could at least listen to without walking off in disgust.
Everything else in your post is just nonsensical noise. Basically you simply are confirming my view, there is nothing the GOP can do to attract the Black vote in any meaningful way. You cite an example of McCain being not racist yet you still didn't vote for him.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,699,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Everything else in your post is just nonsensical noise. Basically you simply are confirming my view, there is nothing the GOP can do to attract the Black vote in any meaningful way. You cite an example of McCain being not racist yet you still didn't vote for him.
I didn't know Hadoken was black.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 AM

397 posts, read 198,530 times
Quote:
Until certain points of view or strongly refuted by those in the GOP that don't hold those views Blacks will not warm up to this party. And some in the GOP want it that way. Its up to the rest of the party to stand up to them and get them to move on.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:10 AM

21,282 posts, read 20,904,862 times
Sure, I'll comment. There are no references to the "Mark of Cain" in the Book of Mormon. There "skin of darkness" mentioned in the Book of Mormon has nothing to do with the Black (aka Negro) race. Nobody in the Book of Mormon started out Caucasian and ended up Negro. Your source's limited information is very transparent to anyone who has more than a rudimentary understanding of Mormonism. (As a matter of fact, most of his scriptural quotes don't even come from the Book of Mormon.) While it is true that Black men were denied the LDS priesthood for a number of years, this policy had nothing to do with anything in the Book of Mormon. Granted, it was a discriminatory practice, and one I don't believe should ever have existed. But it you want to discuss it with me, you're going to need to start by at least getting your facts straight.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Until certain points of view or strongly refuted by those in the GOP that don't hold those views Blacks will not warm up to this party. And some in the GOP want it that way. Its up to the rest of the party to stand up to them and get them to move on.
What views are these? Free market capitalism?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,270,973 times
Quote:
You're slipping again. I didn't say much of anything about "the black vote" in the segment you bolded, since I was only discussing my vote. And of course, since black people aren't a monolith, the fact that the GOP won't get my vote, doesn't mean they can't win votes from a large number of other black people.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM

At the end of the day the GOP will be just fine. Romney won over 50% of the White vote in CA, PA, NJ and even MD. The electorate was actually more red this cycle than in '08 just not enough to flip the White House.

Going forward the GOP needs to peel off a few more votes from certain groups in key states and they should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or