U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:01 PM

44,930 posts, read 43,518,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
I think EdwardA is telling the truth. I think his skin is black, but his culture is not African American. His posts remind me a lot of the disdain Africans, Haitian, etc have toward African Americans.
Even if it's true, here is a question. Does he understand how hard it is to be African-American? Does he understand what Blacks have been through in this country? I don't think he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM

397 posts, read 200,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, Ed.....I just don't believe any actual Black person would publicly show such a high degree of hatred for his own group of people. I know you are a conservative and have lots of problems with certain aspects of African American culture. But I see a contempt and an outsider's way of articulating that shows me that you simply could not be an actual Black man.
Thats how I see it. To even think that way is mind boggling. And he is Black?

Old 11-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Half of my family is Caribbean Latino. Many of my relatives aren't really in love with what lots of American blacks do, but they also understand that not all AAs are idiots and that life as a black in America, be it African American or international, has race-based challenges that whites and even other nonwhites don't have. I see no such insight from Edward. He sounds like a white supremacist.
I'm African-American myself and there are times when I look at some things done by a certain segment of the Black American population, and I just shudder. However, I know that not all of us are like that. I also know that life in America for a Black man is going to be harder. I know that there are some Africans who don't like American Blacks, but I've also met some nice African people who have treated me with respect and compassion. That stance that you have taken shows that you have an understanding of things.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Thats how I see it. To even think that way is mind boggling. And he is Black?
I've even mentioned that being a Black man, he is going to catch the same amount of crap as I, a Black American, will catch. He might have a different thought process because of his culture. However, just the same, half of how people perceive you is based on how you look. If you look Black, you will be treated as such.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm African-American myself and there are times when I look at some things done by a certain segment of the Black American population, and I just shudder. However, I know that not all of us are like that. I also know that life in America for a Black man is going to be harder. I know that there are some Africans who don't like American Blacks, but I've also met some nice African people who have treated me with respect and compassion. That stance that you have taken shows that you have an understanding of things.
I hate the way rap music glorifies the gutter. But I would not say the things he says. He has almost a vengeful tone when he post about Blacks.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I've even mentioned that being a Black man, he is going to catch the same amount of crap as I, a Black American, will catch. He might have a different thought process because of his culture. However, just the same, half of how people perceive you is based on how you look. If you look Black, you will be treated as such.
I agree. The ones who hold those feelings don't really care were you come from.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, the GOP took a beating among minority voters. That's pretty obvious. What I would like to do is start a dialogue with the minority voters on this forum (those who voted for Obama, obviously if you voted for Romney this doesn't apply to you) about changes the Republicans could make to attract you to their party. Some of you are fairly conservative. For those of you who have the idea that the Republican Party is a racist party, I would like to know why. While I understand there are some Republican voters who are racist and some conservative talk show personalities and the like, I fail to see how Republican politicians/candidates are racist. Even if there are a few isolated cases, I fail to see how the party platform or how the majority or even any minority other than perhaps a very small fringe of Republican politicians/candidates are racist.

I am starting this thread with the very best of intentions. I have been called racist on this forum and I don't understand why. Just because I'm a Republican?!? I have black and Hispanic friends (I'm not just saying that; I just had drinks with a black friend the other day). I have always worked with blacks and Hispanics and have always seen them as the same as everyone else. I am not trying to start any kind of conflict. I am simply trying to start a discussion. I do hope we can welcome more of you in to our party. Yes, we need your votes, but even if we could win with zero minority votes I wouldn't want the GOP to win in that case or even with 20% of minority votes. Does a large group of minority voters fear the Republican Party? If so, why? And what can be done to change this?
afoigrokerkok, this is how I see it. There was a time when Blacks often did vote Republican in large numbers, such as immediately after the Civil War. It was the Republican governments in the White House who were behind the Reconstruction. Democrats were the ones who were against Blacks, at that time. However, when those Reconstruction governments left in 1876, things went bad for Blacks in the South. Blacks were basically disenfranchised in so many ways. For those Blacks in the rest of the USA who could vote, they held on to the Republican Party. Those numbers started to decline in the 1920s, specifically around the Hoover administration. Hoover made many promises to African-Americans, and broke them.

When FDR came along, he came up with the New Deal, more Blacks(those who could vote) began to vote Democrat. When Truman came, and the military was desegregated, Blacks voted Democrat in even larger numbers. Although Eisenhower may have upheld the older to integrate Little Rock's Central High School, he was against the executive order to integrate the military, and opposed the Brown v Board of Education decision.

When JFK came along, he basically courted the Black vote, and won. The beginning of the end for the Republican Party came when Lyndon B. Johnson came along. He was for the Civil Rights legislation. His opponent, Republican Barry Goldwater, opposed all Civil Rights measures, claiming that only the state governments should handle that. This is the way I, a Black American, see it. It was the state governments who were failing. In the Deep South, it was the local governments who were abusing Black people, denying them the right to vote, stomping all over the rights of Black people. Jim Crow laws violated the Constitution, especially when it came to voting. LBJ passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, so for this reason, Blacks heavily favored Johnson.

The final nail came when the Southern Strategy came. One of the authors of the Southern Strategy was Kevin P. Phillips, a political commentator. He believed that the Republican Party was going to be very strong in the South because more Blacks were turning to the Democratic Party, and he felt that there was no placed for Blacks in the Republican Party. When Nixon used the Southern Strategy, appealing to racist politicians in the South, Blacks were leaving the Republican Party in large numbers.

This pattern kept up into the modern day. And there are quite a few racists in the Republican Party, and within the Tea Party. At quite a few Tea Party rallies, there have been people shouting racial slurs and other racially motivated comments. And then you have quite a few Republican politicians who have said very racially motivated comments:
Former U.S. Senator George Allen and his racist comment:Allen Quip Provokes Outrage, Apology

And then you have Phylis Schlafy, leader of Eagle Forum and her comments about minority births:Eagle Forum Blog: America is becoming non-white
Justice | ThinkProgress

Other comments, such as Mitt Romney's 47 percent comment. In addition, you also have other comments being said. Basically, minority voters feel alienated by the Republican Party.

I also recommend listening to this video. Michael Steele is speaking in it.

Why Black Conservatives Don't Vote Republican - YouTube

Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I hate the way rap music glorifies the gutter. But I would not say the things he says. He has almost a vengeful tone when he post about Blacks.
We can agree on this. Alot of rap music is horrible. But tearing down Black Americans as a people is one of the worst things one can do.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 PM

18,569 posts, read 15,900,666 times
Quote:
Who said all African-Americans are one way or another? I'm sorry I don't use qualifying adjectives for all my posts but I'd think folks are intelligent enough that a group doing on thing or another 100% of the time is impossible.

Ironically though it is the African-American community who puts great stock in being a monolith. Any Black kid who does well in school risks being scolded as, "acting White" by their Black peers. Blacks vote 93% and above for one party year in and year out.

If I met you I'd treat you with respect, not sure what I'd have to be compassionate about though. Do you want pity because your ancestors were slaves? How is that constructive?

Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,281,238 times
Quote:
I never really went for this one. Pretty much every type of entertainment that tells a story has pieces with villain protagonists. Every genre of music has it, video games let you play as criminals and supernatural evil. Movies are made about mob bosses. There's a popular tv series about a drug kingpin. But I'm supposed to think that Lil Wayne is responsible for anything but his own foolish behavior? Nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or