U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM

21,299 posts, read 20,972,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
According to the Book of Mormon, black people are a cursed people and inferior to whites.
This isn't the first time you've said that, but the Book of Mormon actually says no such thing. The references to a dark skin in the Book of Mormon don't even have anything to do with "Blacks" (as in the Negro race), and the Church's policy of banning Black men from holding the priesthood had nothing to do with anything in the Book of Mormon. As a matter of fact, it had no scriptural basis at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM

833 posts, read 530,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
If you go read my post you'll see we pretty much have the same thoughts.

Right on, these ponce's need to learn that although we have varying skin complexions, lips, eyes, hairdo's, ears. Whether we're highschool or university grads we're smart enough to know BS and Bigotry when its up in the air. That WE the minorities have common sense.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,999,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, the GOP took a beating among minority voters. That's pretty obvious. What I would like to do is start a dialogue with the minority voters on this forum (those who voted for Obama, obviously if you voted for Romney this doesn't apply to you) about changes the Republicans could make to attract you to their party. Some of you are fairly conservative. For those of you who have the idea that the Republican Party is a racist party, I would like to know why. While I understand there are some Republican voters who are racist and some conservative talk show personalities and the like, I fail to see how Republican politicians/candidates are racist. Even if there are a few isolated cases, I fail to see how the party platform or how the majority or even any minority other than perhaps a very small fringe of Republican politicians/candidates are racist.

I am starting this thread with the very best of intentions. I have been called racist on this forum and I don't understand why. Just because I'm a Republican?!? I have black and Hispanic friends (I'm not just saying that; I just had drinks with a black friend the other day). I have always worked with blacks and Hispanics and have always seen them as the same as everyone else. I am not trying to start any kind of conflict. I am simply trying to start a discussion. I do hope we can welcome more of you in to our party. Yes, we need your votes, but even if we could win with zero minority votes I wouldn't want the GOP to win in that case or even with 20% of minority votes. Does a large group of minority voters fear the Republican Party? If so, why? And what can be done to change this?
I could never vote republican. I am a gay man of mexican american descent- doubly despised by repub types. My parents and grandparents have always voted that way. That's how it started with me. Through the years, the Repubs have constantly given me images of the "evil minorities" starting with Bill Clements (tex governor 1977-81, 86-91), Sen Jesse Helms v Harvey Gannt (black Charlotte mayor), (1990), Ronald Reagan (1980, 1984), George HW Bush & Willie Horton (1988), Pat Robertson (1992 Repub convention), Govs George W Bush & Rick Perry comments, 1990s), the anti-gay initiatives of the 2004 repub campaign orchestrated by Karl Rove, the stealing of the Presidency by George W in 2000 and 2004, the open racism practiced by repub supporters in 2008 and 2012 with no repudiation by Sarah Palin or any of the other Repub bigwigs, the ridiculous rape comments made in this election year. The only one that had the decency to speak against the bigotry was John Mccain. Now, Romney is coming out with his degrading comments about "minority gifts." Their "all white" strategy is the proverbial "chickens coming home to roost (thank you Rev Jeremiah Wright and brother Malcolm) ." I think that it's too late for the repubs to reach a certain segment of latino voters. they might do better with the religious types, but even the dems' message trumps any message that the repubs propose to them. Outright discrimination against gay ppl is already becoming much less acceptable as witnessed by the sweeping marriage victories this election cycle. I'm not crazy about everything that the dems propose, but at least I start with them at a position of being a somewhat "equal American."

Then,
1) the way that repubs reject science and make religion the prime focus of their campaigns and pander outright to millionaires, wall street, religious zealots and the the like.
2) the obvious war to decimate the minority vote turnout through devious means of voter suppression
3) alignment with the evangelical movement

Last edited by wehotex; 11-17-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,502,848 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Are you a minority - just curious? Anyway...

I don't think he was necessarily being racist. He was simply pointing out that a greater percentage of minorities would receive these "gifts." That is reality. Nevertheless, I think his comments were inappropriate and things like that should simply be unstated. As a Republican what I would like to see is everyone get off of these programs.

In sheer numbers, more of the people are white, but it is a valid point that a greater percentage of blacks and Hispanics use these programs. The part about the "vast majority" being in red states is simply irrelevant, even if true (and I'm not saying it is). I don't think liberals hating on conservative whites is accomplishing anything and that it's just as bad as conservatives commenting on minorities (and you ignored my post in another thread when I challenged your accusation about who exactly is voting Republican with actual data).

They needed to campaign in the cities. Yes, it was lazy for them to ignore them. Republicans cannot take the city vote but they cannot ignore it. It's all about margins.

I really think all the new voting laws caused a huge backlash and ended up increasing turnout. While I don't think voter ID laws are attempts at voter suppression, I think some of the other tactics are. I don't think these laws are made with racist intent, but instead entirely for political purposes. They are not trying to suppress minority votes, they are simply trying to suppress votes for Democrats. Unfortunately, because Democratic voters are disproportionately minority, minorities do seem to be targeted the most.

Sarah Palin is stupid. I find Susan Rice's conduct inappropriate, but I do think she is a smart woman.

That comment was highly inappropriate.

I wouldn't call most tea partiers racist, but they are disproportionately racist, though I think this is more because they are disproportionately white and older than anything. A lot of the conservative talking heads need to keep their mouths shut. I don't like what they are doing to the GOP and it goes beyond their effects on the GOP's chances with minority voters.

Well....I say the same about liberals and their MSNBC, ThinkProgress, HuffPost, etc.
it would help if you quit trying to explain or defend all these actions and comments that republicans make. This is part of the issue, we tell you something is racist, and you try to defend it instead of accept what we are saying and make changes.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM

Another thing, since the inception of the Asian coalitions and the impressive turnout, the impact this made to the elections, whether they be a moderate conservative like me or a full out liberal (like some friends i know), If Hillary Clinton decides to run. You can bet, you wont see another republican president in the making until after 2016 elections.

Unless Dems screw up big time, they (Dems) will have secured their place for another 8 years..
Ohh and dont do BS, after having a grandmaster like romney spew out some of the ridiculous BS ever, we have learned a thing or two. I swear, no ones gonna come close to romney.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM

26,503 posts, read 24,304,529 times
Other minorities who supported Obama over Romney:

Homosexuals/Bisexuals
Asians
Jews
Atheists

What are Republicans doing to win their votes? Hmmm?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,161,784 times
I'll add a few more things I forgot earlier:

- Democrats offered a positive agenda toward the Hispanic community's #1 priority issue: education. Student loan relief, education funding and the Dream Act. Mitt not only opposed the dream act but wanted illegals, even kids who have been here most of their lives, run out of the country. Aside from that, I dont recall him putting forth his plans for education in this country.

- As for Asians, the reason should be obvious to conservatives yet isn't. They always patronizingly say "but they're the good minorities, why don't they vote Republican" but the Christian right terrifies non-Christian people, who make up well over a majority of Asians. Remember the only primarily Christian Asian group is Philipinos, most others are nonreligious, Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,275,972 times
Quote:
Well, the GOP took a beating among minority voters. That's pretty obvious. What I would like to do is start a dialogue with the minority voters on this forum (those who voted for Obama, obviously if you voted for Romney this doesn't apply to you) about changes the Republicans could make to attract you to their party. Some of you are fairly conservative. For those of you who have the idea that the Republican Party is a racist party, I would like to know why. While I understand there are some Republican voters who are racist and some conservative talk show personalities and the like, I fail to see how Republican politicians/candidates are racist. Even if there are a few isolated cases, I fail to see how the party platform or how the majority or even any minority other than perhaps a very small fringe of Republican politicians/candidates are racist.

I am starting this thread with the very best of intentions. I have been called racist on this forum and I don't understand why. Just because I'm a Republican?!? I have black and Hispanic friends (I'm not just saying that; I just had drinks with a black friend the other day). I have always worked with blacks and Hispanics and have always seen them as the same as everyone else. I am not trying to start any kind of conflict. I am simply trying to start a discussion. I do hope we can welcome more of you in to our party. Yes, we need your votes, but even if we could win with zero minority votes I wouldn't want the GOP to win in that case or even with 20% of minority votes. Does a large group of minority voters fear the Republican Party? If so, why? And what can be done to change this?
In any case, let's take a prominent example, Newt Gingrich's comment about the NAACP. And no, this will not be short.

Now, Gingrich's specific statement was that he would go to the NAACP's national convention, and discuss why African Americans should demand paychecks, instead of being satisfied with food stamps.

There are several problems here (aside from the fact that food stamps don't actually exist anymore). First, the NAACP has a very long history of standing against employment discrimination based on race (discrimination which, to this day, broadly disfavor a black and Latino Americans, despite what people say about Affirmative Action). Also, the NAACP is pretty much a working-to-middle class organization, so very few of it's members are interested in collecting SNAP benefits. Their national convention already has a career fair, so that attendees who don't have jobs, can find them. So, implying that the group's members are somehow unaware of the idea of hard work is offensive, in and of itself. One would (or at least, should) never to think to give such a lecture to, say, the UAW.

Now here's the important thing, and why Gingrich was accused of racism. The US has a very long history of portraying black people, in particular, as stupid, lazy, violent, or oversexed. In particular, it became very common to portray food stamps (which, remember, don't actually exist any more), welfare, and the like, and "handouts for minorities". Never mind that white people benefit the most, or that it's usually either children and the disabled who get the majority of the benefits, by design. So when Gingrich implies that the folks at the NAACP are happy living on food stamps, he's tapping onto a tradition that goes back well over a century to dehumanize black people, whether or not he means to.

We live in the United States of America. The country has a history. Our culture draws on that history. The meanings of our symbols, of our figures, of our language are derived from that history. And racism is a founding and fundamental part of that history. There's no way for you to escape it, even if you aren't aware of it. Part of the reason minorities flocked to Obama is that he is fully aware of that history, and understands his place in it as the First Black President. Gingrich is a historian, so he presumably knows his place as the Old Southern White Male. And in response to his place, he decided to peddle a century-old stereotype. And that's how he earned the title "racist".

Last edited by Hadoken; 11-17-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM

755 posts, read 613,901 times
Quote:

- Democrats offered a positive agenda toward the Hispanic community's #1 priority issue: education. Student loan relief, education funding and the Dream Act. Mitt not only opposed the dream act but wanted illegals, even kids who have been here most of their lives, run out of the country. Aside from that, I dont recall him putting forth his plans for education in this country.

- As for Asians, the reason should be obvious to conservatives yet isn't. They always patronizingly say "but they're the good minorities, why don't they vote Republican" but the Christian right terrifies non-Christian people, who make up well over a majority of Asians. Remember the only primarily Christian Asian group is Philipinos, most others are nonreligious, Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist.
Yes. And contrast this with Fox News, which is essentially the mouthpiece of the Republican Party, doing things like broadcasting a segment titled THE HISPANIC VOTE IN 2012, and accompanying it with stock footage of people illegally crossing the border illegally:

Fox News Features Illegal Border-Crossing Footage In 'Hispanic Vote In 2012

Hispanics aren't stupid. They know Fox News viewership skews heavily white and conservative, and the Fox News conflates Hispanic votes and people illegally crossing the border precisely because they know it validates the assumptions of their predominantly Republican-voting audience of Hispanics as law-breaking invaders and despoilers of 'Anglo culture'.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:

BTW it's Filipino's (male) - Filipina's (female)..

They are predominantly roman catholics who normally vote republicans and yet a huge majority voted Obama this time round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or