U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Reputation: 7274

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Full credits to you for doing so!
America needs good level-headed conservatives just as much as it needs good level-headed liberals to make this country work. I hope you aren't alone; if enough good conservatives like you can break the madness that has infected the Republican party, there is hope for us all.
.
Count this fiscal conservative in. Obama is the POTUS until 1/20/2017. Case closed.

 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,755,416 times
Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol I predict this will never happen.

Although Obama resigning in shame over Benghazi is a possibility.
Which just goes to show how distorted your sense or reality is.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
When did I say that?

I specifically said - in this thread - that Republicans did not do a good enough job and that is why we lost. We blew it across the board this election.
Actually, you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
LOL....he lost by 3%. After a brutally negative campaign against him and a hurricane at the last minute affecting the votes of undecided voters, all when running against "the greatest, most popular president everrrrr."
To which I say, poor widda Mitty! You claim no one ever said Obama broke the law, yet the birthers constantly say he is breaking the law by even thinking about running for pres in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I didn't make excuses. I owned the loss.
No you didn't, you blamed the Obama campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
let me fix this for you...



Pres. Obama was a very beatable incumbent with the poor economy on his shoulder, you guys failed to produce an alternative folks could get behind. You threw your lot in with the Ideologues, the Evangelicals, and the TP Birthers.... and I expect you to fling yourselves even farther Right at least one more time.

That's on you.
Exactly! How many times did we hear, "No incumbent president ever won with UE as high as it is (conveniently ignoring FDR of course), yada, yada.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree with you on that, and part of the Romney campaign's problem is that they assumed the far-right part of the Republican base would be motivated to turn out in full because of their hatred of Obama, and that was a bad calculation.
They did turn out. MR won white males and evangelicals by the same margin as RR in 1984.
MR thought the demographics were the same as they were in 1954.

Hence, he was beaten badly ..by 126 electoral votes.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
They did turn out. MR won white males and evangelicals by the same margin as RR in 1984.
MR thought the demographics were the same as they were in 1954.

Hence, he was beaten badly ..by 126 electoral votes.
White turnout was down from 2008 (and it was down in 2008 from 2004), while minority turnout was up. Young voter turnout was up, turnout among voters over 30 was down. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Even liberals didn't really see that coming.

The Romney campaign/GOP did a horrible job with getting out the vote, partially because the Election Day GOTV effort was a massive failure, partially because the pre-election GOTV effort wasn't very strong but also because they to assuade the concerns some members of their base had with Romney.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 11-19-2012 at 07:03 PM..
 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To which I say, poor widda Mitty! You claim no one ever said Obama broke the law, yet the birthers constantly say he is breaking the law by even thinking about running for pres in the first place!
I specifically clarified there is a difference between what supporters of a candidate say and what a candidate or campaign (or a campaign representative or a Super PAC) says..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No you didn't, you blamed the Obama campaign.
I specifically clarified that it was Romney's (and his campaign's) responsibility to refute the claims and that they did not do an effective job of refuting the claims.

Despite being a Romney supporter, I have been a vocal critic of the Romney campaign throughout the election season on this forum, as well as after the election. In fact, I only think they did two things right.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
5,478 posts, read 5,864,852 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Here is the scenario.

President Obama is impeached (for Benghazi or violating War Powers Act - take your pick). Rather than go through the disgrace of a Senate trial and further sully his legacy - the president resigns.

Joe Biden succeeds him - but realizes the unpopularity of this outcome and his own woeful lack of qualification for the job - so he resigns in turn.

Next in the line of succession is Speaker John Boehner. He sees his opportunity and decides that he can be more effective continuing as Speaker then by being president, so he appoints Mitt Romney as his Vice President per the 25th Amendment - and then resigns.

Mitt Romney then becomes the 47th President of the United States (and 4th in two months) and appoints Paul Ryan as V.P.
There are more plausible ways that Boehner could be our next president, but I will leave it at that.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Full credits to you for doing so!
America needs good level-headed conservatives just as much as it needs good level-headed liberals to make this country work. I hope you aren't alone; if enough good conservatives like you can break the madness that has infected the Republican party, there is hope for us all.

Harrier has fallen into total and devastating delusion. I hope he may somehow regain his sanity... maybe, if you're brave enough, you could help him out.
Here's the thing. I don't think that madness has "infected the Republican Party." I think there is a segment of the party that has gone crazy. I also think there is a group of Democrats that behave inappropriately.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
White turnout was down from 2008 (and it was down in 2008 from 2004), while minority turnout was up. Young voter turnout was up, turnout among voters over 30 was down. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Even liberals didn't really see that coming.

The Romney campaign/GOP did a horrible job with getting out the vote, partially because the Election Day GOTV effort was a massive failure, partially because the pre-election GOTV effort wasn't very strong but also because they to assuade the concerns some members of their base had with Romney.

Wrong again. MR used a 74% white vote percentage, while most professional polls used 72%. It came in at 72. (At 74%, MR could barely squeak out 270..if every close call came his way).

It will be under 70 by '16, under 65% by '20.
 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong again. MR used a 74% white vote percentage, while most professional polls used 72%. It came in at 72. (At 74%, MR could barely squeak out 270..if every close call came his way).

It will be under 70 by '16, under 65% by '20.
I'm talking about sheer numbers. Fewer whites voted in 2012 than in 2008 or than in 2004, despite the white adult population having grown. I believe fewer whites actually voted in 2008 than in 2004.

Why was the white percentage of the vote down so much? Primarily because white turnout was down.

The white percentage of the vote has been dropping about 3% every presidential election and, while higher in the mid-terms, was dropping about 3% each mid-term election when compared to the last mid-term up until 2006. While 2010 could arguably be considered a special case, the white percentage of the vote dropped only 1.5% between 2006 and 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top