U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,736,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Scientists are liberal because they spend 10 years in academia to get a PhD, then most become professors or do government-funded research work at universities. Most Engineers are conservatives and libertarians because they don't need a PhD/Masters and their private enterprise job responsibilities involve real-world problem solving and pragmatic, common-sense conservatism.
Wrong again. If you had bothered to open my link you would see that even private sector industry scientists including those in applied sciences like chemistry, medicine, biology and physics are heavily democratic and liberal.

This type of faulty logic and whole sale ignoring of data is a big part of why the right didn't see 2012 coming.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM

58 posts, read 40,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
These people are simply unbelievable. No wonder our nation faces so many problems with unthinking morons in positions of power and a base that supports this nonsense.

Can't wrap your little mind around how your cell phone works? Must be god doing his miraculous work.
Got raped? No worries - your body will reject the pregnancy.
Humans not hairy like apes? See, evolution is fake.

I can only hope that the larger majority of people with brains will eventually completely drown out these idiots.
Disappointed he wasn't asked for his opinion on f-ing magnets and how they work. He doesn't want to talk to a scientist, since they're all lying and getting him pissed.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Status: "In a Mayberry Town in the Mitten..." (set 25 days ago)

4,117 posts, read 7,014,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't know of any presidential candidate who has not at least claimed to be a Christian. If you can then so me the link.
You are correct. Even President Obama claims to be a Christian, attends a Christian church in Washington, and recently commented that he prays often. Wouldn't it be something if it were all true? Actually, it would be quite awesome.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM

3,744 posts, read 2,492,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
To be fair, science isn't 100% sure of the exact figure either. It's somewhere between 4.494 billion and 4.585 billion years.
According to my research is it 4.992 billion 548 million, 521 thousand, 812 days, 4 hours and 5, no 6, no 7 seconds.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM

58 posts, read 40,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Wrong again. If you had bothered to open my link you would see that even private sector industry scientists including those in applied sciences like chemistry, medicine, biology and physics are heavily democratic and liberal.
He said engineers, not scientists. Huge difference. Science deals in complexity, abstraction, and ambiguity (along with begging for funding). Engineering involves memorizing formulae, plugging numbers in, with little understanding of the underlying theory. It attracts a certain mindset which thrives on strict rules and hierarchy. There's a reason why a large number of the 9/11 hijackers were engineers.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM

755 posts, read 613,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, you think you know the age of the earth?
No.

We have no idea.

Because radiometric dating is a completely wrong, and thousands of physicists are either embarrassingly ignorant (but, curiously, they get tons of other things right, like building nukes) or in an this massive old-Earth conspiracy...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:05 PM

2,860 posts, read 4,210,691 times
Please see attached Thumbnail for my response. Jesus is not the only one riding dinosaurs.
Attached Thumbnails
Creationism The Norm Among Potential Republican 2016 Contenders-dinosaur.jpg  

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM

5,945 posts, read 4,723,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

I saw on the news how Rubio went creationist with that question. There are two possible explanations:

1. He's actually a bright, capable young guy who was just tossing out what the rabid religious right demands to hear.

2. He's truly dumber than draino.

I report. You decide.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM

2,860 posts, read 4,210,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
People do not have kids to have them indoctrinated by the government, people. If parents want to teach THEIR kids that God created the universe, that is their right as parents of THEIR kids. God forbid the government teach kids anything, the way it's run. Believing that parents don't have a right to teach their kids their belief system is a dangerous thought process and no different that the left screaming that conservatives are trying to tell them how to think and live. Why do you think so many parents are homeschooling in this country? Because the government, by way of the public government schools, is trying to usurp their rights as parents.

BTW, for all of you folks who are so sure of a scientific theory that has never been proven, can I just ask, if humans evolved from apes, then why are there still apes on this planet? Why did only some of the apes "evolve"? No one ever seems to be able to answer that, along with a whole lot of other questions that pop up when one tries to prove evolution.

Evolution: just another tired excuse to try to disprove there is a Creator so that there is no absolute standard of right and wrong.
BS. I am a Christian, attend church regularly, and believe in evolution. Why? because I read books other than the bible. (hence the quote under my username). The problem with a fundamentalist approach to the bible is that it makes people fundamentally stupid. If my tax money has to go to schools, than I want those schools teaching facts, not the creation myth of a desert tribe from 3000 years ago. Unless, of course, they are teaching a course on creation myths.

You need to read The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief by Francis Collins. Collins was raised as an atheist, became a genetic scientist, found God and became a Christian, then lead the team that mapped the human genome.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM

20,272 posts, read 21,867,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
So, you think you know the age of the earth?
No, but we do have estimates coming from various disciplines. These kinds of estimates are pretty reliable in a host of fields with practical applications (in broad scope such fields as biology, geo-engineering, geology, astronomy, meteorology, astrobiology, petroleum engineering, mineralogy, genetic research and cladistics, etc.) which have real world applications but also seem to point the same sort of basic history of the Earth as whole and can lead the way in our 21st century explorations of the solar system and beyond. I think it's reasonable until we have conclusive evidence otherwise since the scientific method does allow for radical changes (re: all of non-Newtonian physics) if some amazing breakthroughs come to light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or