U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
 
725 posts, read 456,173 times
Reputation: 545

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
People do not have kids to have them indoctrinated by the government, people. If parents want to teach THEIR kids that God created the universe, that is their right as parents of THEIR kids. God forbid the government teach kids anything, the way it's run. Believing that parents don't have a right to teach their kids their belief system is a dangerous thought process and no different that the left screaming that conservatives are trying to tell them how to think and live. Why do you think so many parents are homeschooling in this country? Because the government, by way of the public government schools, is trying to usurp their rights as parents.

BTW, for all of you folks who are so sure of a scientific theory that has never been proven, can I just ask, if humans evolved from apes, then why are there still apes on this planet? Why did only some of the apes "evolve"? No one ever seems to be able to answer that, along with a whole lot of other questions that pop up when one tries to prove evolution.

Evolution: just another tired excuse to try to disprove there is a Creator so that there is no absolute standard of right and wrong.
Where do I start? Wow! First off I think evolution may have missed you. A basic understanding of science in general and especially evolutionary biology is severely lacking here.

"Why did only some apes evolve?

The simple answer is, all apes DID evolve; from a common ancestor, humans included. The same could be said for any living organism on earth. 98% of our DNA is shared with chimpanzees, our closest evolutionary cousins. The entire evolutionary tree on earth is full of branches, most of which are now dead ends due to the fact that 99.99% of all species on earth that have ever lived are now extinct and have evolved into something else.

The other, oh so common, problem with your argument in saying evolution is just a "theory," can be chalked up to ignorance as to what the difference is between the colloquial and scientific uses are of the word theory.
In science, theory is one step below a law. It's pretty well "proven" by most people's standards. Example: molecular theory is just that, a theory, yet I don't see anybody disputing the nuclear bomb's existence or denying that pasta has "carbs" in it.

In short, you are wrong and people much smarter than any of us here proved it over a hundred years ago.

 
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,295 posts, read 12,343,222 times
Reputation: 6622
Rubio and Obama and the age of Earth: Politicians hedge about whether universe was created. - Slate Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
What I've said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that's what I believe. I know there's always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don't, and I think it's a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I'm a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don't presume to know.
The real problem isn't Rubio or Obama. The problem is an uneducated populace who must be pandered to
 
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
28,988 posts, read 19,002,476 times
Reputation: 7763
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
... who will nonetheless go on to cite science's inability to pinpoint the exact moment of creation on April 17, 4,539,997,989 B.C., sometime between lunch and cocktail hour, as incontrovertible evidence that everything scientists say is wrong and the Bible is the only 100% inerrant source of such information.


Non-creationists fall into one of two categories.



The first is the "always existed" crowd.

The problem with "always" is the present moment.

"Always" requires an eternity past and future.

In a Universe with an eternity past and eternity future, the present moment never arrives from eternity past because the present is forever in the future.



The rest belong to the "suddenly emerged from nothing" bunch.

This group assures us that perfectly ordered matter along with time and space came to be from nothing and it did this just because.

Most in this group claim that matter continues to spontaneously emerge from nothing and return to nothing.

Others say that matter, as we currently understand it, doesn't really exist and that what does exist are "relationships, correlations, tendencies to actualize from a multifaceted set of potentials".

The common presupposition is the existence of certain predictable quantum laws and nothingness capable of creating that which exists, even if what exists isn't real.

The nothingness required for this model cannot actually be nothing since nothing, by definition, is capable of nothing, to include creating that which exists.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Agree. Nothing wrong or slanted with Rubio's response.

Why would a reporter without an agenda ask the question?
Isn't this part of the vetting process? You know, the thing the right claimed the media never did with Obama?
 
Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 AM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,756,587 times
Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
To be fair, science isn't 100% sure of the exact figure either. It's somewhere between 4.494 billion and 4.585 billion years.
That's a hell of lot accurate than believing dinosaurs are 6,000 years old.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 AM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,756,587 times
Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It doesn't look like Jeb Bush will have much competition for it, at this rate.
He will have the same problem Mitt Romney had; which is in order to get the nomination he has to pander to the "Crazy Train" faction of the Republican Party during the primary season then try to pivot back as a moderate if he gets the nomination.

There are those in the Republican Party who believe Mitt Romney was too moderate and that's why he lost.

He also carries the last name "Bush" and to be honest as Presidents the family doesn't have the greatest legacy.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,234,904 times
Reputation: 6219
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Non-creationists fall into one of two categories.



The first is the "always existed" crowd.

The problem with "always" is the present moment.

"Always" requires an eternity past and future.

In a Universe with an eternity past and eternity future, the present moment never arrives from eternity past because the present is forever in the future.



The rest belong to the "suddenly emerged from nothing" bunch.

This group assures us that perfectly ordered matter along with time and space came to be from nothing and it did this just because.

Most in this group claim that matter continues to spontaneously emerge from nothing and return to nothing.

Others say that matter, as we currently understand it, doesn't really exist and that what does exist are "relationships, correlations, tendencies to actualize from a multifaceted set of potentials".

The common presupposition is the existence of certain predictable quantum laws and nothingness capable of creating that which exists, even if what exists isn't real.

The nothingness required for this model cannot actually be nothing since nothing, by definition, is capable of nothing, to include creating that which exists.
And yet there's still more evidence supporting evolution and the big bang than, uh... "the guy in the sky just snapped his fingers."
 
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,513,116 times
Reputation: 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree, I think it is fair for reporters to ask presidential candidates whether they put more stock in middle school science, or backwoods preachin'.
Check back in 100 years and much of what they teach as "science" will have been proven wrong, and the Bible will still be the inerrant Word of God.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM
 
9,056 posts, read 6,723,723 times
Reputation: 11008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Check back in 100 years and much of what they teach as "science" will have been proven wrong, and the Bible will still be the inerrant Word of God.
And that's what's so great about science. It evolves. The other, well...... .
 
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Reputation: 8941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Check back in 100 years and much of what they teach as "science" will have been proven wrong, and the Bible will still be the inerrant Word of God.
Who is going to prove it wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top