U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Reputation: 38880

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
this has absoulutely nothing to do with any election and there is no scientific knowledge of the age of most things. Why do libs think this should or is an issue for heaven's sake???

 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM
 
9,972 posts, read 14,079,031 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My point is that man's science changes constantly, but God's Word remains the truth.
Actually if we look at all the religions that have existed since the dawn of man in every region of the globe--all of which were at one point or another followed by people completely convinced that they were obeying some higher power---the word of god(or gods) is incredibly inconsistent. Even just with the ever-changing dogma of Christianity itself.

How come God didn't speak the same way or appear the same way to the people in India in 2000 BC as he did to Egyptians or how he would to Mayans or to the Israelites... Because, for someone not really a part of any of these religious traditions it would appear that each religion is just a reflection of the culture and region and time in history that created it. Did God really care about Jews and Muslims not eating pork--or was it just a case that in the hot ancient Middle East world, spoiled pork was likely to get people sick--or was simply considered an unclean animal and making the claim that it was God's law was an easier selling point rather than just telling people it might be unhealthy.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
 
755 posts, read 613,560 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I completely agree with you until you asked your question about evolution. Evolution says humans came from a common ape ancestor that would have been a different species than the apes we have today. My question is why is so much stock put in whether somebody believes in evolution? Unless you are in biology or geology it really doesn't matter whether we came from apes or God. The only reason it matters is so liberals can continue to marginalize Christianity and paint people of faith as a bunch of mental cases.
Indeed.

Why should we care if a candidate for office systematically rejects evidence when it doesn't jibe with what that candidate really, really, really wishes to be true?

Why should a candidate's ability to process logic and be rational be important at all?

Gee, that's a real thumper...
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,766,507 times
Reputation: 4828
The religious right-wing nutbags are coming to his defense:


Fischer: Only Eyewitness Testimony Can Determine The Age Of The Earth - YouTube
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,646,596 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Indeed.

Why should we care if a candidate for office systematically rejects evidence when it doesn't jibe with what that candidate really, really, really wishes to be true?

Why should a candidate's ability to process logic and be rational be important at all?

Gee, that's a real thumper...
You probably also believe atheism should be required for public office because people of faith cant possibly have any logic and are nothing but a bunch of dumbos.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
 
755 posts, read 613,560 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The religious right-wing nutbags are coming to his defense:


Fischer: Only Eyewitness Testimony Can Determine The Age Of The Earth - YouTube
I wonder if Fischer thinks that only eyewitness testimony can determine the age of a tree?

After all, dendrochronology (ie, tree-ring analysis) is as indirect as radiometric dating. It's less complicated and requires less technology, but is still every bit as indirect.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM
 
755 posts, read 613,560 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You probably also believe atheism should be required for public office because people of faith cant possibly have any logic and are nothing but a bunch of dumbos.
No. You're wrong. Yet again.

There are plenty of non-atheists who don't reflexively reject science when that science fails to square with ancient writings or current religious dogma.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
pvs
 
1,845 posts, read 2,878,619 times
Reputation: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
As a Democratic Christian - I wish there was a way to reconcile creationism and evolution. Believe me, people are NOT going to respond kindly when you continue to tell them that the Bible is FOS. I don't necessarily think that Democrats should trample so hard down this particular path.

I believe in God - but I have a hard time with the dinosaurs and how/when we were created.
I too believe there is a God, but not in any of the religions man has created. There is a reason, though, why all people, in all of history, have recognized some force that "put us here", and thus, created us. We owe a certain respect to that entity, for sure ... And I do.

But I have trouble with the religions which have all been bastardized through the ages, and I take them all with a grain of salt, which I use very sparingly these days.
 
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,861 posts, read 4,215,534 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That's a hell of lot accurate than believing dinosaurs are 6,000 years old.
I thought the dinosaur bones were placed in the earth to test man's faith????


 
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,861 posts, read 4,215,534 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I completely agree with you until you asked your question about evolution. Evolution says humans came from a common ape ancestor that would have been a different species than the apes we have today. My question is why is so much stock put in whether somebody believes in evolution? Unless you are in biology or geology it really doesn't matter whether we came from apes or God. The only reason it matters is so liberals can continue to marginalize Christianity and paint people of faith as a bunch of mental cases.
I think it has more to do with how political candidates, if elected, would make decisions. Will they make decisions based on facts, or belief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top