Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not too different than pandering to the goofy obama phone lady. It's all smoke and mirrors.

No one has a shot at getting elected unless they do one thing better than most folk, fund raising.
Big donations earn contributers a seat at the table and favors.
Fund Raising better doesn't guarantee a win, as we saw with this election. Karl Rove got donors to provide $400 million to Romney's campaign, guaranteeing it would win him the election. So much for good fund raising.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Oh yes - and of course you know the age of the earth, because you were present when it began, right?

Carbon dating isn't reliable after a period of time. Even red shifts don't tell us much.

Any "scientific" setting of the age of the eart is conjecture, and it has continuously changed as a "few more millions of years" were tacked on here and there, to "support" certain theories.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Oh yes - and of course you know the age of the earth, because you were present when it began, right?

Carbon dating isn't reliable after a period of time. Even red shifts don't tell us much.
Fortunately, carbon-14 is not the only method of radiometric dating, and radiometric dating is not the only method of geological dating.

All of the accepted dating techniques more or less agree with one another and flatly rule out the Book of Genesis.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
As a Democratic Christian - I wish there was a way to reconcile creationism and evolution. Believe me, people are NOT going to respond kindly when you continue to tell them that the Bible is FOS. I don't necessarily think that Democrats should trample so hard down this particular path.

I believe in God - but I have a hard time with the dinosaurs and how/when we were created.
I absolutely think they should. A huge part of the Democratic party, myself included, are Non-Christian. This election it was an even larger part of the Democratic coalition then black protestants. If you go and straight up try to make the Democrats GOP light when it comes to religion and Christianity specifically I cannot see why I would necessarily stick with the Democratic party aside from environmental and economic fairness issues. Being a middle class white southerner, the social implications of the Christian run GOP are the principle thing that keeps me in the Democratic party and I am hardly alone. In essence, had Mitt Romney been able to pull of Non-Christian voters in similar portions to the overall electorate, or even pull off Non-Christian whites to the extent that got white voters generally he would have won comfortably.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:

Any "scientific" setting of the age of the eart is conjecture, and it has continuously changed as a "few more millions of years" were tacked on here and there, to "support" certain theories.
You don't seriously think Carbon dating is used to measure the age of the earth do you?

Do they even teach science in school anymore?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My point is that man's science changes constantly, but God's Word remains the truth.
I'd rather invest in a system that improves and changes as new info comes about than stubbornly stays the same no matter what.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
President Bush claimed to pray and got criticized for it - but the left is strangely quiet when President Obama prays.

I also think that it is awesome that he prays.
Nothing is wrong with a President praying. I don't care what religion any President is. The issue is if public policy is based off their own religious beliefs, that is where it crosses the line.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why would a reporter without an agenda ask the question?
It's a fair question of a potential POTUS. Far, far too many people honestly believe the earth, humanity, indeed all of creation is but 6,000 years old. Anyone who does so is too stupid to hold the office of POTUS, thus it's a reasonable question.

I don't know enough about Rubio to know whether or not he believes thusly, or his answer was a pandering attempt to not alienate those who do. Regardless, it gives me pause.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview | Creation Museum
Maybe he went to this museum...

Typical politician, why discuss facts when you can spin something?

Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My point is that man's science changes constantly, but God's Word remains the truth.
You mean like the fact that we're descended from a single couple? Oh, except analysis of our genetics proves beyond a doubt that is not accurate. Or maybe the global flood? Oh, wait, that never happened, either.

Which part, exactly, of "God's Word" remains true? The part where it says non-virgin women who get married should be stoned to death? That's my personal favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections