U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 4,199,553 times

Advertisements

Interesting article and I agree, Huntsman would have been a better candidate than Romney.

Obama

I really wish he had a shot at the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,239,785 times
He was too sensible and moderate. He didn't stand a chance at getting the nomination, not with the type of base that the GOP primaries attract.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM

20,136 posts, read 21,745,742 times
I thought Huntsman was an obvious viable candidate in the general election, but a terrible one for the primaries unless he shifted his positions substantially--which would have made him a terrible candidate for the general election. The same happened with McCain in the 2008 elections when I was a supporter for him up until the heat of the Republican primaries towards the end and he made drastic shifts to get the Republican nomination (which maybe didn't need to be so drastic to secure those nominations). A recognizable version of the veteran (in politics and war) McCain in the 2008 election would have gotten my vote over what was then an untested new candidate (Obama), but had so radically shifted his positions on so many issues that it was no longer reasonable for me to vote for him. What completely sealed the deal for me was when Palin was put on the ticket which made absolutely no sense at all.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,754,351 times
Huntsman was nuetralized early when he took a job in the Obama administration. The ole community organizer aint no fool.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 PM

9,312 posts, read 5,585,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Interesting article and I agree, Huntsman would have been a better candidate than Romney.

Obama

I would have given Huntsman a serious look if he had won the GOP nomination. It was lucky for the Obama campaign that the crazies were in charge of the GOP.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 6,906,045 times
I'm on record as having said repeatedly that Huntsman is the only one of the candidates who ran on the Republican side who could have potentially beaten Barack Obama, and not just because he's not utterly insane or insipid. He's pragmatic, practical, extraordinarily smart, and has foreign policy bona fides. And if the nuts who voted in the primaries (and kept alternately elevating Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, and Perry into the lead) had actually bothered to pay attention, they'd've learned that Jon Huntsman is a deeply conservative man. For crying out loud, he was the governor of one of the most conservative states in the nation; Utah.

I thanked my lucky stars every day since he was forced out of the running that rightwingers weren't smart enough to have seen that.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

20,136 posts, read 21,745,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I'm on record as having said repeatedly that Huntsman is the only one of the candidates who ran on the Republican side who could have potentially beaten Barack Obama, and not just because he's not utterly insane or insipid. He's pragmatic, practical, extraordinarily smart, and has foreign policy bona fides. And if the nuts who voted in the primaries (and kept alternately elevating Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, and Perry into the lead) had actually bothered to pay attention, they'd've learned that Jon Huntsman is a deeply conservative man. For crying out loud, he was the governor of one of the most conservative states in the nation; Utah.

I thanked my lucky stars every day since he was forced out of the running that rightwingers weren't smart enough to have seen that.
I may have been one of those independents who would have voted for Huntsman. I'm not affiliated with either party, and if Huntsman had been the candidate, then it would have been a tough pick. But I also knew that given the narrative the GOP was putting out throughout the primaries that Huntsman was not a particularly likely pick because it felt like the primaries had a lot of the candidates jockeying for more extreme statements one after another for a while until someone was a big enough blank to embody a "maybe?" for all of those statements. Huntsman versus Obama could have been a real talking through of different policies.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 6,906,045 times
Yup.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM

6,936 posts, read 6,993,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post

Obama

In discussions here during the GOP primaries, I offered the opinion that Huntsman would be the tougher of the opponents ... out of that field of possibilities. Now we learn that the Obama strategists were thinking the same thing. I wouldn't have voted for him but if he'd have won the contest, I could have supported his efforts because I believe he would be fair and a good administrator.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 PM

2,884 posts, read 3,192,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Why thank your lucky stars that he was not the nominee? Are we not looking for the best candidate to run our country?
The blind faith in Obama is just disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or