U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you think professed atheism should be required to run for public office?
Yes 2 6.67%
No 28 93.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Texas
32,811 posts, read 17,848,216 times
Reputation: 18866

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
According to most on this site, anybody who believes in an "imaginary sky daddy" is not rational, has no logic, and therefore could not possibly be effective at leading this country. Questioning evolution is equivalent to believing in a geocentric universe or flat earth and anyone who dare do it should be mocked, humiliated, and completely discredited and anything less than that is too good for them. Do you think a law should be passed forbidding people of faith from running for office? What about requiring belief in evolution?

I think it's inevitable in the near future just as Christianity will be banned within the next 50 years. It will start with laws passed to ban Christians from holding public office.
Especially for you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 AM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,295,806 times
Reputation: 12788
I don't have a problem with having Christians or members of other religions in office. As long as they don't use their abracadabra logic when making decisions about policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2,540 posts, read 3,085,405 times
Reputation: 6721
Observing this thread, from north of the border, I can tell you for sure, that any Canadian political hopefull, that makes religion a part of their platform......is bound to be a loser, on election day.

You will never hear a Canadian political leader make any refference to their OWN religious belief, and for sure you will never hear the phrase.......God bless Canada. We just wouldn't stand for it. Religious beliefs here are PRIVATE, not to be used as a political banner.

Don't get me wrong, we DO allow everyone to HAVE their own religious ideas, we just don't want them injecting them into public life, and or legislation.

A example; Paul Martin, a former Prime Minister, was a Roman Catholic, BUT he was also the national leader who introduced abortion legislation in Canada, and made it legal. WHY ? Because he knew that the majority of the Canadian public supported the idea, and they voted to re-elect him, as a result.

Jim B

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,032 posts, read 22,037,571 times
Reputation: 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Observing this thread, from north of the border, I can tell you for sure, that any Canadian political hopefull, that makes religion a part of their platform......is bound to be a loser, on election day.

You will never hear a Canadian political leader make any refference to their OWN religious belief, and for sure you will never hear the phrase.......God bless Canada. We just wouldn't stand for it. Religious beliefs here are PRIVATE, not to be used as a political banner.

Don't get me wrong, we DO allow everyone to HAVE their own religious ideas, we just don't want them injecting them into public life, and or legislation.

A example; Paul Martin, a former Prime Minister, was a Roman Catholic, BUT he was also the national leader who introduced abortion legislation in Canada, and made it legal. WHY ? Because he knew that the majority of the Canadian public supported the idea, and they voted to re-elect him, as a result.

Jim B

Toronto.
One of the MANY reasons I have such a high opinion of Canada.



Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM
 
Location: USA
4,686 posts, read 4,044,260 times
Reputation: 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Observing this thread, from north of the border, I can tell you for sure, that any Canadian political hopefull, that makes religion a part of their platform......is bound to be a loser, on election day.

You will never hear a Canadian political leader make any refference to their OWN religious belief, and for sure you will never hear the phrase.......God bless Canada. We just wouldn't stand for it. Religious beliefs here are PRIVATE, not to be used as a political banner.

Don't get me wrong, we DO allow everyone to HAVE their own religious ideas, we just don't want them injecting them into public life, and or legislation.

A example; Paul Martin, a former Prime Minister, was a Roman Catholic, BUT he was also the national leader who introduced abortion legislation in Canada, and made it legal. WHY ? Because he knew that the majority of the Canadian public supported the idea, and they voted to re-elect him, as a result.

Jim B

Toronto.
This is why i hate fundamentalist American Christians. It's not enough to hold a belief based on religion, they feel a burning desire to force it on everyone else through law, AS IF doing it will get them into a better heaven or something???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2,540 posts, read 3,085,405 times
Reputation: 6721
A further point...

Calgary , Alberta, in western Canada, has recently elected a Mayor, who is not only a Muslim, but who was born outside of Canada. Can you imagine that happening anywhere in the US?

here is a link to that story.

Calgarian becomes Canada's first Muslim mayor | CTV News

Or how about this... A Muslim, born in Egypt, who is the head of one of the largest Universities in Canada and has been since 2007.

Muslim president for York University - thestar.com

Or a Member of Parliament, who is a quadrapalegic.

Inclusion Daily Express -- Parliament Must Ready To Accommodate New Member

Stephen Fletcher represents a Winnipeg, Manitoba, district, in Canada's national Parliament, and was first elected in 2004. He is a C4 C3 spinal cord injury victim, and can only move his head, which he uses to control his electric wheel chair. He is a member of the Cabinet, in the Stephen Harper Government, in Ottawa.

Could such a handicapped person ever be elected to the Congress in the USA ?. I don't think so.

My point in all of this......... American has not yet evolved to the point where such things are possible.

Did I mention our past Female Prime Minister ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,250,913 times
Reputation: 4115
It's unusual for me to be in a position of defending the United States, but we do have Muslim mayors and Congressmen and we did have one handicapped president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,163 posts, read 26,742,718 times
Reputation: 6452
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It's unusual for me to be in a position of defending the United States, but we do have Muslim mayors and Congressmen and we did have one handicapped president.
Why is it unusual for you to defend the United States? Are you an anti-American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,250,913 times
Reputation: 4115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Why is it unusual for you to defend the United States? Are you an anti-American?
It's rare that I see anything to defend in the United States vis––vis other nations.

I defend things like the Bill of Rights, but chiefly against other Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,616 posts, read 79,964,043 times
Reputation: 38974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
What is there to question evolution? It is a proven fact and unlike a personal belief in a god, there are mountains of evidence for evolution.

As for folk with "imaginary friends", so long that this delusion remains personal and not injected into politics, I see no reason why they cannot run for office. The problem lies in the evangelical wing who think the world is gonna end any day now. Those folk deserve ridicule. The results of the last election should tell you clearly, the majority are not interested in their bat****e crazy ideas.
I want to point a couple things out to you:1-we all have our reasons for believing what we do, you choose to believe in no God, becasue you say there is proof in evolution? Has it occurred to you, many of us believe in both? As for evangelicals thinking the world is coming to an end soon? Sorry, they do not, the ones who predict this are nut cases, not evangelicals. I do agree, religion or lack of same has nothing to do with running for public office. And you know very little if you honestly think the 2012 election had anything to do with anyone's crazy ideas. If this is the case, please explain how we now have 30 Republican governors, and the house still belongs to the Republicans. Almost always the party that takes the Whitehouse takes the congress and the governorships. Midterm elections usually are the opposite. Of course you wouldn't know anything about our politics, you are not even living in our cuontry. I love it, when people in other countries think they know more about us than we do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top