U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Texas
23,900 posts, read 10,116,798 times
Reputation: 5346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is not directed at you, but rather, an affirmation of your statement/asking other people an important question. When are some people going to figure this out? Some members of the Republican Party are complaining that Blacks are voting Democrat instead of Republican. When is it going to click inside one's head that making sweeping statements that demonize minorities isn't going to bring Blacks, or any racial minorities to the Republican Party? Or do some people feel like Blacks shouldn't be able to vote? I think some people feel this way.

Proof of this is what former Republican Party chairman Jim Greer said: Jim Greer denounces Florida Republican Party officials as liars, 'right-wing crazies' in deposition - Tampa Bay Times
When is it going to click, inside one's head, that no matter what is said, the big government policies of the democratric party are failures?
Do you think blacks in West Virginia were attracted to Senator Klansman Byrd (D) of West Virginia because he was in the klan or because he brought in as much as 4 federal dollars for every federal dollar paid out?
Or do you feel like Blacks aren't able to think? I think some people feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Texas
23,900 posts, read 10,116,798 times
Reputation: 5346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
You both proved it. blacks don't think, they just vote color..
Blacks are just as ignorant as whites. They both vote for failure. Who cares what the color is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
 
44,769 posts, read 43,355,759 times
Reputation: 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
When is it going to click, inside one's head, that no matter what is said, the big government policies of the democratric party are failures?
Do you think blacks in West Virginia were attracted to Senator Klansman Byrd (D) of West Virginia because he was in the klan or because he brought in as much as 4 federal dollars for every federal dollar paid out?
Or do you feel like Blacks aren't able to think? I think some people feel this way.
Actually, I know Blacks can think for themselves. And I think some African-Americans might look at it from this perspective: What incentive to we have to vote Republican, especially after adopting the Southern Strategy?

Blacks tend to vote Democrat in large numbers from 1968 onward because that was the party of the Civil Rights movement.

By the way, which "Big Government Policies" are you talking about? Some were actually beneficial to Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,512,180 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I know Blacks can think for themselves. And I think some African-Americans might look at it from this perspective: What incentive to we have to vote Republican, especially after adopting the Southern Strategy?

Blacks tend to vote Democrat in large numbers from 1968 onward because that was the party of the Civil Rights movement.

By the way, which "Big Government Policies" are you talking about? Some were actually beneficial to Blacks.
Amen, writers of threads like these act ENTITLED to get votes.

The GOP has lost the popular vote 5 of the last 6 POTUS elections. It needs to think about how it can prove via ACTION to those who voted against it, that it has changed its' ways , and earned their votes.

Now the TP babies would prefer maintaining the status quo catering to the wing nuts platform and words ("self deport") , and than they whine when the GOP predictably gets beat. The GOP if they wish is entitled to run wing nuts, as long as they accept their inevitable defeats gracefully, and recognize power properly lies with a duly elected majority, even when it is not your party in said position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM
 
44,769 posts, read 43,355,759 times
Reputation: 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Amen, writers of threads like these act ENTITLED to get votes.

The GOP has lost the popular vote 5 of the last 6 POTUS elections. It needs to think about how it can prove via ACTION to those who voted against it, that it has changed its' ways , and earned their votes.
The GOP does need to come up with a better strategy to appeal to all people. And I do believe there are some people who are Republican who want to see this happen, those who are moderate. However, the persons who constantly complain about African-Americans and other groups voting for President Obama, well, this is my perspective. The more things change, the more they remain the same. I feel like the persons who complain about Blacks and who they vote for are doing so out of hate. I think some of these very persons may not want Blacks or other minorities voting at all.

I think we both have surmised that the GOP's biggest mistake was the Southern Strategy, appealing to racist people within the Southern population. Not everyone in the South was like that. However, there were those who appealed to racist sentiments.

Quote:
Now the TP babies would prefer maintaining the status quo catering to the wing nuts platform and words ("self deport") , and than they whine when the GOP predictably gets beat. The GOP if they wish is entitled to run wing nuts, as long as they accept their inevitable defeats gracefully, and recognize power properly lies with a duly elected majority, even when it is not your party in said position.
The Tea Party has basically added and extreme-right element to the Republican Party. I think the Tea Party sees that there are many people who don't identify with their politics, and this angers many Tea Party members. I think the best thing the Republican Party can do it repudiate the Tea Party, repudiate people who make racist comments, and get away from the extremism. Bill Clinton took the Democratic Party to a more moderate path. There should be someone on the Republican side doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,062,490 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have gathered a few conclusions about this.

1) The persons who have said these things have no idea how offensive what they are saying sounds.

2) The persons who have said these things are not really interested in drawing in more Black people to the Republican Party, but rather, are sore losers who can't get over the fact that Mitt Romney lost.
I don't know of a single conservative who gives 2 sheets that Romney lost. We hated him just a little less than we hate 0bama.

As far as black, when 93% of them vote for a candidate without having the vaguest idea who he is and what he stands for.........well, you do the math. It's not rocket science.

Dumb people vote for dumb candidates. That's why we are where we are.

And it's not gonna get any better until America comes to its senses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The GOP has lost the popular vote 5 of the last 6 POTUS elections. .
I'm not sure if you're smart enough to know that's not true. I have a feeling not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,512,180 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Tea Party has basically added and extreme-right element to the Republican Party. I think the Tea Party sees that there are many people who don't identify with their politics, and this angers many Tea Party members. I think the best thing the Republican Party can do it repudiate the Tea Party, repudiate people who make racist comments, and get away from the extremism. Bill Clinton took the Democratic Party to a more moderate path. There should be someone on the Republican side doing that.
Exactly. BC was a founding member of the DLC, the more pro business, less socially liberal wing of the party. Joe Lieberman was also a founding member.

I am hopeful when I hear Jindal post election get it, Bob Corker gets it. I am a realist knowing it will take a few more POTUS GOP thumpings to recognize the TP destroyed them in 2012, and the TP kept Reid in power in 2010 as well.

The TP can help in House itty bitty races where an extra few thousand votes can do the trick. But the big races, Senate and POTUS, the TP is the best friend of the Democrats. The nominee acts like a wing nut, or the Senate candidate does, and this dooms them with independents, who decide the big races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 PM
 
44,769 posts, read 43,355,759 times
Reputation: 14453
Quote:
I don't know of a single conservative who gives 2 sheets that Romney lost. We hated him just a little less than we hate 0bama.
I know quite a few conservatives who are upset that Mitt Romney lost. I should know because I was on facebook the night of the election, and I saw alot of people who were upset about the results.

Quote:
As far as black, when 93% of them vote for a candidate without having the vaguest idea who he is and what he stands for.........well, you do the math. It's not rocket science.


Dumb people vote for dumb candidates. That's why we are where we are.
Calling African-Americans dumb for voting for President Obama, well, the race element was added to this. Why else would anyone add the race element to it? Why are some conservatives complaining about African-Americans? Please, I would like some answers.

With rhetoric such as that which has been seen in this election, it basically alienated alot of minorities.

Quote:
And it's not gonna get any better until America comes to its senses
When you say "America", what and who do you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
 
44,769 posts, read 43,355,759 times
Reputation: 14453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Exactly. BC was a founding member of the DLC, the more pro business, less socially liberal wing of the party. Joe Lieberman was also a founding member.

I am hopeful when I hear Jindal post election get it, Bob Corker gets it. I am a realist knowing it will take a few more POTUS GOP thumpings to recognize the TP destroyed them in 2012, and the TP kept Reid in power in 2010 as well.

The TP can help in House itty bitty races where an extra few thousand votes can do the trick. But the big races, Senate and POTUS, the TP is the best friend of the Democrats. The nominee acts like a wing nut, or the Senate candidate does, and this dooms them with independents, who decide the big races.
The Tea Party did not help the Republicans in this election. And you are right, it is going to take alot of time to realize this. Same thing is so for the Southern Strategy. It has taken a long time to realize that the Southern Strategy, in hind sight, was not a good idea. It might have picked up large numbers of voted at the start, but the days of that strategy are done.

What I notice is alot of short-sighted thinking from alot of politicians.

If we can get more people like Bill Clinton, and Joe Lieberman, then maybe things in this nation can get better. What we also need are candidates who can appeal to all kinds of people. There needs to be more of a focus on serving the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,512,180 times
Reputation: 7274
Dale, the 5 of 6 claim is true. In 2000, Gore won the popular vote by approximately 1/2 million. Clinton and Obama took it 2x each.

Bush won the popular in 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top