U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
 
44,821 posts, read 43,384,123 times
Reputation: 14468

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It does no good to argue this stuff with white conservatives. No matter how much incontrovertible proof you put up showing that blacks were gonna vote within close proximity (north or south) of 90% for the Democrat, they're gonna say that it's not true and that we voted for Obama only because he was black. It's stupid to even argue with them about it anymore.
In many cases it does not good. However, there are times when I feel like I have to prove other people wrong.

Quote:
They're just mad because we won't vote for their candidates or party because it's an openly hostile party towards African Americans and has been so for better than 40 years. It's arrogance on their part. They still think they're better than we are, which in their minds gives them a right to tell us what to do. We should always vote the way they think we should vote....our interests be damned.
It is apparent that alot of people are angry about the election results, and Blacks are being made the scapegoats for this. One major question to ask is this. Why are Blacks being made the scapegoats?

Quote:
They don't demand this from any other minority group. Everyone else is free to cast as many monolithic votes as they want, and it never comes under any scrutiny. Notice how the Latino vote edged up over 70% for Dems, and their reaction wasn't scorn for Latinos. No, on the contrary...now they're out BEGGING the Hispanics with a bunch of outreach and softening their positions on immigration.
Not only the Latino vote, the Asian vote too. No one is complaining about Asians. Some people are complaining about Latinos(and when people complain about Latinos, the main issue is immigration).

Quote:
Jews, Asians, Muslims, Native Americans...all overwhelmingly Democrats and NONE are ever asked to explain or justify their votes.
I've noticed that. People complain only about Blacks, and in some cases Latinos. It is important to ask "Why" people care so much about how Blacks vote?

Quote:
That's why i laugh in their faces when they ask me to justify mine. African Americans fought for the right to vote and it's our right to vote any damn way we please.

Why don't they ever ask themselves why we won't vote for Republicans in larger percentages instead of being so p*ssed off about why we're voting Democrat? Is is because they're scared to look in the mirror after asking the question because they know they won't like the answer?

Yea...methinks so.
The very fact that Blacks fought for the right to vote is one thing so many people either forget, or ignore. And the question that you are asking other people to ask regarding why Blacks don't vote Republican in larger percentages, well, that is the question I'm asking other people to ask themselves as well. So far, it is like no one really wants to think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
 
44,821 posts, read 43,384,123 times
Reputation: 14468
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wow...that's a pretty damn good explanation. He even brought up the Southern Strategy.
At least you are taking the time to watch this and comment about it. Most people seem to be avoiding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,857,419 times
Reputation: 14472
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In many cases it does not good. However, there are times when I feel like I have to prove other people wrong.



It is apparent that alot of people are angry about the election results, and Blacks are being made the scapegoats for this. One major question to ask is this. Why are Blacks being made the scapegoats?



Not only the Latino vote, the Asian vote too. No one is complaining about Asians. Some people are complaining about Latinos(and when people complain about Latinos, the main issue is immigration).



I've noticed that. People complain only about Blacks, and in some cases Latinos. It is important to ask "Why" people care so much about how Blacks vote?



The very fact that Blacks fought for the right to vote is one thing so many people either forget, or ignore. And the question that you are asking other people to ask regarding why Blacks don't vote Republican in larger percentages, well, that is the question I'm asking other people to ask themselves as well. So far, it is like no one really wants to think about that.
The thing is, the black vote isn't even that significant anymore. Our percentage of the population is BARELY holding on to 12%, and it's falling fast. The Latino vote is more important, but since there are so many different groups of Latinos, they can't get really scrutinize them in the same way they do us, nor do they want to. They give Latinos a pass.

But still, they're always in our faces asking us for some explanation as if they're owed one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,294 posts, read 3,145,438 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I rest my case. It's hopeless.

What is it about: THERE WASN'T A BLACK MAN ON THE TICKET that's so damned hard to figure out?

if they voted, they had to vote for someone. WHITE was their only choice then.

Yes, it's true most blacks are democrat. That's because they haven't yet figured out that democrats today aren't the democrats their grandmothers voted for.
What does that have to do w/ anything? When Al Sharpton was in the Dem primary, what % of the Black vote did he get?

Do you understand simple logic and/or how words put together mean certain things?

When you say that Blacks only voted for Obama b/c he was Black, that means, that if he wasn't on the Dem ticket, they would have voted for the Republican. Since you feel justified posting that racist nonsense, then throw out a ball park figure of what % of Blacks would have voted Democrat if a White person was running instead of Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,835 posts, read 10,718,487 times
Reputation: 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For heavens sake, did you ever see me say anything about my being shocked at Blacks voting for a Democrat? I actually said quite the opposite...Now, show me where I said I was shocked. I am speaking for myself, not others on here. And btw, 3 to 7 point difference is the difference in the outcome in case you didn't know. or it can be the difference, depending on where the 3 to 7% comes from..
You obviously skipped the first 4 words in that line, "To the Whole forum,", next time slow down and reread what someone says before making that claim.

President Obama won the 2008 election by 10 million votes and the 2012 election by 5 million votes. there were only about 26 million african americans voting, 7% of black voters does not equal a change in the outcome of either of those elections... unless you are plopping that entire electorate into Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and Colorado.

And as i have already asked, are you going to post the 3 sources that claim there was a difference in African American voters in previous elections ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,069,513 times
Reputation: 9036
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
To the Whole forum, i am still wondering why the fact that black people voting for a Democratic candidate is so shocking for you people. The majority of African Americans have voted democratic for the last 70+ years.
Yes.......like I said:

Yes, it's true most blacks are democrat. That's because they haven't yet figured out that democrats today aren't the democrats their grandmothers voted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
 
44,821 posts, read 43,384,123 times
Reputation: 14468
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The thing is, the black vote isn't even that significant anymore. Our percentage of the population is BARELY holding on to 12%, and it's falling fast. The Latino vote is more important, but since there are so many different groups of Latinos, they can't get really scrutinize them in the same way they do us, nor do they want to. They give Latinos a pass.

But still, they're always in our faces asking us for some explanation as if they're owed one.
Alot of this leads me to believe that the "election" is not the only thing bothering people. I think it has alot more to do with people having problems with Blacks as a whole and blaming Blacks for everything in this society. In fact, there is a website dedicated to blaming everything on Blacks called "stuffblackpeopledontlike".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,857,419 times
Reputation: 14472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes.......like I said:

Yes, it's true most blacks are democrat. That's because they haven't yet figured out that democrats today aren't the democrats their grandmothers voted for.
Most of the Democrats of my Grandmother's day weren't worth voting for...specifically the ones from the South.

These Democrats nowadays are no great shakes, but they're better than what you guys are offering by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: West Egg
2,161 posts, read 1,614,678 times
Reputation: 1278
As Dick Armey has said:

“You can’t call someone ugly and expect them to go to the prom with you.

It's a searing indictment of the GOP that Dick Armey ... ... is a voice of [cough]reason[cough] in the clown car that calls itself the Republican Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,835 posts, read 10,718,487 times
Reputation: 3979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes.......like I said:

Yes, it's true most blacks are democrat. That's because they haven't yet figured out that democrats today aren't the democrats their grandmothers voted for.
You are absolutely right about it not being the same as 40 years ago, its better. We are now an extension of the northern part of our party where as Republicans seem to be an extension of the southern arm of their's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top