U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,247,957 times

Advertisements

Attention Republicans: Just because you want to nominate Hispanics to the GOP does not mean Hispanics will vote for that candidate. George W. Bush and Jeb Bush were as white as they come, but they managed to woo huge amounts of Hispanic voters to their side. How did they accomplish that? That's what you should be looking at, not tossing some Spanish name around and hope it will stick. That only way that will work is if at least 51% of all GOP candidates were Hispanic, not less than 1%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM

69,590 posts, read 79,902,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Attention Republicans: Just because you want to nominate Hispanics to the GOP does not mean Hispanics will vote for that candidate. George W. Bush and Jeb Bush were as white as they come, but they managed to woo huge amounts of Hispanic voters to their side. How did they accomplish that? That's what you should be looking at, not tossing some Spanish name around and hope it will stick. That only way that will work is if at least 51% of all GOP candidates were Hispanic, not less than 1%.
Where are you getting the idea we all want to nominate a minority or any kind? Yes, people are throwing names around, which btw is pretty stupid right now, yes, there are some great GOP candidates that are minority,but what most want is the best candidate, not based on ethnic group.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,247,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where are you getting the idea we all want to nominate a minority or any kind? Yes, people are throwing names around, which btw is pretty stupid right now, yes, there are some great GOP candidates that are minority,but what most want is the best candidate, not based on ethnic group.
And sorry to say but Rubio is not the best candidate. There are better, more experienced, candidates to toss around than him

Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And sorry to say but Rubio is not the best candidate. There are better, more experienced, candidates to toss around than him
Did I say he was? For heaven's sake, we have 3 years before the primary season really gets underway and there will be lots of names poping up all over the place. Our poster boy right now could fade in to the clouds by then. Everyone knows that. The only ones who seem to keep bringing Rubio up and btw, blasting him are the libs. I wonder, are they a little nervous he might be hard to beat? You talkabout experience, how much experience did Obama have when he ran?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM

29,020 posts, read 19,131,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Nothing happened in 2012 that didn't happen in 1936, 1940 and 1944.

In those elections, Democrats used their failure to promote economic opportunity to win the votes of the new and growing dependent class.

And while FDR had to die in office to lose the White House, that in no way means his policies benefited the nation or even the working class that was still facing double-digit unemployment as late as 1940.

In fact, the only reason unemployment finally did decline to pre-depression levels in 1941 was because the military draft that was reinstated in September of 1940 pulled millions of able-bodied young men out of the civilian workforce with millions to never return.

It is an ironic fact that failure while in office works to the advantage of the Democratic Party.

This advantage is the product of voter ignorance and economic desperation.

Of course Reaganomics is the true economic success story of the last century, but desperate people cannot wait for jobs that don't exist to be created so, history repeats itself as Democrats again win as a direct result of their own failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong. Demographics happened.

MR won white males and evangelicals by the same margin as Reagan '84.

In 84, whites made up 88% of all votes, 72% in '12.

Latino 5 million Obama edge exceeded his total margin by 1 million.

Blacks and Latinos are far more likely to be unemployed than whites.

That's why they, more so than whites, are becoming the new dependent class too desperate and frightened to do anything except vote for the party of hand-outs.

That America was whiter in the 1930s is incidental.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM

30,149 posts, read 15,798,235 times
Quote:
Did I say he was? For heaven's sake, we have 3 years before the primary season really gets underway and there will be lots of names poping up all over the place. Our poster boy right now could fade in to the clouds by then. Everyone knows that. The only ones who seem to keep bringing Rubio up and btw, blasting him are the libs. I wonder, are they a little nervous he might be hard to beat? You talkabout experience, how much experience did Obama have when he ran?
None. He still has none. Why do I say that? Because experience usually teaches. Obama has not learned. Which leads me to believe he is doing exactly what many of us have said he intended to do: Destroy America.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,517,687 times
Quote:

That's why they, more so than whites, are becoming the new dependent class too desperate and frightened to do anything except vote for the party of hand-outs.

BALONEY!! If one lost Latinos by 5, perhaps.

Shellacked by 50% means EVERY demographic subset of the Latno vote handliy voed for the Democrats.

I just saw a large Latino family I happen to have known for years. He owns a business that employs hundreds, is worth several million beyound his business equity stake, and he told me his entire, extended family as well as most friends (who are largely fabulously successful) voted against Mitt. What was telling is those were his words-it was not a Pro Obama block, but an anti Mitt/GOP platform block.

Asians also went Obama, and they are America's most educated citizens as a group. They outperform the white population.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM

47,314 posts, read 24,851,587 times
Quote:
this has been mentioned over and over, it is not new. The fact is: first, he is a minority with roots from another country. He is very popular and the fact that he speaks spanish, regardless of the type is a plus...So, sorry, I don'tthink you have it completely correct..No, he isn't going to sway every Hispanic to his side, but he certainly would bring some over.
He'd bring NONE over. In fact, by 2016, his Cuban-American support might not even be all that good. The Cuban community has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I think some of you need to step back and realize what the political machine is like in Miami & regarding "Identity" or "ethnic" politics are like.
Cuban immigrants go back to the 1950s regarding Castro & the Revolution so you have the old school guard who can be swayed who prounounces "Communism" & Fidel" is bad! Reagan did this in the 1980s when he came to "Little Havana" and proclaimed "Cuba Si , Castro No" thereby pandering to exiles desires and anxieteis at the same time.
The old "Cuban " Exile community is dying out because all policticians and especially Republicans have been pandering to the hopes of the exile community that Cuba will be free one day yet they haven't done anything besides "broken promises"
The election of Marco Rubio was a "ethnic Identity " election pandering to exiled Cubans and others who saw a polished (lawyer) well spoken young man. He appealed to the Exile community in Miami and the rest of the Conservatives in his district.
How do I know all of this? I am a first Generation American of Cuban descent just like Rubio is and I here all of the pandering . Presidential material? I'm thinking he will wind up more like Allan West instead!
Word!!
Quote:

With that message, you're sure to win significant minority votes in the next election. Keep it up!! I like it.

And there it is folks...your answer to why Romney fell flat on his face.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He'd bring NONE over. In fact, by 2016, his Cuban-American support might not even be all that good. The Cuban community has changed.

Word!!

With that message, you're sure to win significant minority votes in the next election. Keep it up!! I like it.

And there it is folks...your answer to why Romney fell flat on his face.
Your assessment, but it may or may not be the case. I guess we will wait and see. I prefer to vote for a candidate, based on views, not ethnic group anyway and all Americans should feel that way. Right now,I like what he stands for and I respect him, not because he is or isn't Latino, Hispanic, whatever you want to call him....I might feel differently 3 years from now, that is a long time.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:54 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,851,587 times
Quote:
Your assessment, but it may or may not be the case. I guess we will wait and see. I prefer to vote for a candidate, based on views, not ethnic group anyway and all Americans should feel that way. Right now,I like what he stands for and I respect him, not because he is or isn't Latino, Hispanic, whatever you want to call him....I might feel differently 3 years from now, that is a long time.
I do agree that he's a star, and a very formidable future candidate. I think that by 2016, he'll have his moorings and we'll know just how far he's gonna go. But i do predict that his star is going nowhere but up. He's a young, educated, conservative Hispanic male, and that's gonna get him in front of the line regardless.

So i mostly agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or