Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times

Advertisements

I think some of you need to step back and realize what the political machine is like in Miami & regarding "Identity" or "ethnic" politics are like.
Cuban immigrants go back to the 1950s regarding Castro & the Revolution so you have the old school guard who can be swayed who prounounces "Communism" & Fidel" is bad! Reagan did this in the 1980s when he came to "Little Havana" and proclaimed "Cuba Si , Castro No" thereby pandering to exiles desires and anxieteis at the same time.
The old "Cuban " Exile community is dying out because all policticians and especially Republicans have been pandering to the hopes of the exile community that Cuba will be free one day yet they haven't done anything besides "broken promises"
The election of Marco Rubio was a "ethnic Identity " election pandering to exiled Cubans and others who saw a polished (lawyer) well spoken young man. He appealed to the Exile community in Miami and the rest of the Conservatives in his district.
How do I know all of this? I am a first Generation American of Cuban descent just like Rubio is and I here all of the pandering . Presidential material? I'm thinking he will wind up more like Allan West instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You know, there is something very weird about a country that could even consider a guy like Rubio for high office. Outside of any policy or position there are other qualities that are essential in our leaders.

When a guy gets up and tells a complete lie about his life story, I'm sorry but that disqualifies that person from public office, or it for sure should. Here he has been telling and retelling that story about his family being refugees from Castro's Cuba and then we find out it's all complete BS. His family left Cuba while Batista was the dictator. I absolutely hate BS like that. Once I catch a person lying to me like that I don't even want to hear anything else they have to say.

Paul Ryan is the same type. Can you even imagine claiming you performed some feat and then having to admit that it wasn't even you but your brother who ran this marathon. I have to wonder WTF is wrong with these azzhats?????
would you like to take the time to tell us the lies about their childhoods and where you are getting your information?

MiamiBob, I appreciate your giving us some background. For those of us, not all that familiar with Fl, especially the southern part, it is good to hear from someone who is, especially with your background. As for Rubio compared to A West, I don't see any similarities. Will he be the nominee for Pres, maybe not, but there are differences...

Last edited by nmnita; 11-25-2012 at 04:53 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Yeah I heard the same stuff when we put W in office for the 2nd time. Pubs gloated and declared the democratic party dead
blah blah blah

If you dont think we cant get Rove up in there to swift boat another sKerry you are wrong. Huessien will have this so funked up by the time the election comes along the GOP will win by default
yes, and in 2008 the day after the election we were told the GOP was dead, until along came 2010. This has been the story, after every election where one side has done better that expected. I have seen it for 50 years. I am not sure what your point is or was?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Rubio's recent interview with GQ is a good indicator of his future on the national stage. Marco Rubio GQ Interview
Some Highlights:
He's proud that he acts quickly without thinking. He believes that Americans are rejecting modern conservatives isn't the fault of the Republican message it's because Republicans haven't properly communicated their message. He rejects science. Jim DeMint is one of his best friends. He doesn't understand why people get hung-up on social issues. And he un-ironically says NWA is one of favorite musical acts (Mind = Blown on that one).

In just a few softball questions he showed why he doesn't have appeal outside of the far right of Republicanism. His ethnicity has zero to do with it.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
would you like to take the time to tell us the lies about their childhoods and where you are getting your information?

MiamiBob, I appreciate your giving us some background. For those of us, not all that familiar with Fl, especially the southern part, it is good to hear from someone who is, especially with your background. As for Rubio compared to A West, I don't see any similarities. Will he be the nominee for Pres, maybe not, but there are differences...
Oh come on!!!!!!! The story Rubio has given about his parents fleeing Cuba to get away fron Castro is very well known. I think but I'm not sure about this, I'd have to look it up but Rubio might even written about it. It turned out to be a complete fable. His parents left Cuba before the revolution.

With Ryan, He is on record as taking credit for some really good time he acchieved running a marathon. When the facts were checked it was found out that it was not him at all but his brother who ran that race. He even admitted to it.

People who create a false narrative about themselves are pathetic. They always have huge inferiour complexes and the ones that I have met are usually quite delusional about many things and they are always big hippocrites.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's ignorant to think that he could help sway Latino voters in a national election. Rubio is Cuban. 96.5% of Latino voters are not. What do Cubans have in common with other Latino groups? Roman Catholicism and a language descended from Castilian Spanish, and that's it. Hispanic people from the continent (Mexico and southward) in particular really don't have any racial or cultural ties to Cuba. I imagine some Cubans would flock to vote for this guy, but nobody else will care.
It's ignorant to assume that Rubio being of Mexican descent would have made a difference. Rubio belongs to a party that offers refuge to peope who openly despise Hispanics,. The GOP could nominate Pancho Villa's grandson, wouldn't make a difference in the world, unless if that candidate is moderate and refutes the extremist in their party, something Rubio hasn't done.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yep. The GOP would do well to take a look at the exit polling that showed that 53 percent of voters believed that Romney would favor the rich and only 34 percent thought his policies would do more for middle-class America. The electorate wasn't fooled about who the Republicans represent, and it isn't the average American.

Nothing happened in 2012 that didn't happen in 1936, 1940 and 1944.

In those elections, Democrats used their failure to promote economic opportunity to win the votes of the new and growing dependent class.

And while FDR had to die in office to lose the White House, that in no way means his policies benefited the nation or even the working class that was still facing double-digit unemployment as late as 1940.

In fact, the only reason unemployment finally did decline to pre-depression levels in 1941 was because the military draft that was reinstated in September of 1940 pulled millions of able-bodied young men out of the civilian workforce with millions to never return.

It is an ironic fact that failure while in office works to the advantage of the Democratic Party.

This advantage is the product of voter ignorance and economic desperation.

Of course Reaganomics is the true economic success story of the last century, but desperate people cannot wait for jobs that don't exist to be created so, history repeats itself as Democrats again win as a direct result of their own failure.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Nothing happened in 2012 that didn't happen in 1936, 1940 and 1944.

Wrong. Demographics happened.

MR won white males and evangelicals by the same margin as Reagan '84.

In 84, whites made up 88% of all votes, 72% in '12.

Latino 5 million Obama edge exceeded his total margin by 1 million.

Last edited by bobtn; 11-25-2012 at 11:46 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default Rubio is part of the problem

Rubio cannot overcome an ignorant, bigoted GOP ideology. The GOP must do an entire OVERHAUL of their platform, to make themselves appear more like Democrats. They're in serious trouble and Rubio is part of the problem.

Having a token Latino can't erase a history and foundation that supports racism against Latinos.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Rubio cannot overcome an ignorant, bigoted GOP ideology. The GOP must do an entire OVERHAUL of their platform, to make themselves appear more like Democrats. They're in serious trouble and Rubio is part of the problem.

Having a token Latino can't erase a history and foundation that supports racism against Latinos.
token latino??? that's a racist comment for sure

why are the fascist liberals so intolerent....is it just their nature...or something else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections