U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
 
44,610 posts, read 43,151,983 times
Reputation: 14409

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Romney lost because there are now more takers than makers. And the takers believe that Barraka Claus will take care of them from cradle to grave.
Do you really believe that? And do you have any empirical evidence to back up what you just said?

 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
 
19,617 posts, read 7,973,404 times
Reputation: 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Romney lost because there are now more takers than makers. And the takers believe that Barraka Claus will take care of them from cradle to grave.

Romney lost because he wasn't a good candidate and was all over the place with his ideas. Did you have a clue what his platform was because most didn't. Please don't blame the voters for the mistakes he made.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,818,327 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Before this election I believed we were a center right country. I accepted the idea that 47% of the population expected handouts from the government and that conservatism still had a chance.

afterwards I donít believe that any longer. We are a center left/left country and there are about 45% of Americans that do NOT expect handouts from the government.

I am sure you and yours are celebrating. your side killed the American Rugged Individualist. I however am mourning the loss.

And there has NEVER been anything silent about your whining progressive buddies. Progressives have long whinned about everything and anything. you protest and fill parks with your dirty tents and you poop on cop cars and dont bath and get in the way. But you won. enjoy.
This is a great example of why people were so repulsed by Republican Party. There's no respect, no connection to reality here or to anything liberals actually say and want, and it's genuinely scary to hear this kind of hate-filled rhetoric coming from such rich and powerful people! Thank God the ballots are secret, otherwise there would be retaliation from our bosses.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,452,588 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This is a great example of why people were so repulsed by Republican Party. There's no respect, no connection to reality here or to anything liberals actually say and want, and it's genuinely scary to hear this kind of hate-filled rhetoric coming from such rich and powerful people! Thank God the ballots are secret, otherwise there would be retaliation from our bosses.
We're a center to slightly center-left nation (far more left socially than fiscally).

The cliff the GOP failed to avert was the TP cliff. They drove off, and America reminded them of that. They have lost 5 of the last 6 POTUS popular votes, but 2012 is a new low until 2016.

Given unemployment still at 7.9%, U6 14.7%, modest GDP growth, big deficits, this was the largest underperformance by either party in my 30 plus years of being elgible to vote.

This was not a MR induced underperformance-it was TP induced.

Until they deattach themselves from that group, they will get pounded every 4 years. By bigger margins as Latinos will be adding 20 million voters by 2030.

The GOP needs to rebuild their "base", the existing one is like OTB, old and dying. MR got a few million less votes than McCain, and when ones strongest voting block is well above the US median age, well, each election will bring a smaller base. Unlike the Dems who own the youth vote, the GOP is NOT replenishing theirs.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
Reputation: 47456
i believe that 48% of americans ak rep aka old people believe u gota pay for what u buy. the other 52% dems or aka y generation, dont, they think everything is free and u never gota pay for nothing.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,263,450 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i believe that 48% of americans ak rep aka old people believe u gota pay for what u buy. the other 52% dems or aka y generation, dont, they think everything is free and u never gota pay for nothing.
And that thinking, and the corresponding memorizing of "everyone else" is why that 48% is shrinking.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 AM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,818,327 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i believe that 48% of americans ak rep aka old people believe u gota pay for what u buy. the other 52% dems or aka y generation, dont, they think everything is free and u never gota pay for nothing.
Is that what Democrats really believe? They mostly work hard at jobs to serve you and your kind, only to hear you say those kinds of things. You don't even try in any least way to understand the actual situation, you simply come up with glib lies about how the workers in the lower half of income are lazy bums who don't want to pay for anything.

Can't you SEE that attitude is why you guys lost? Nobody wants a bunch of lazy rich people looking down on them and insulting them while being waited on hand and foot. People who work at loading trucks or washing dishes work way harder than the vast majority of Republicans.
 
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
 
519 posts, read 328,032 times
Reputation: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i believe that 48% of americans ak rep aka old people believe u gota pay for what u buy. the other 52% dems or aka y generation, dont, they think everything is free and u never gota pay for nothing.
The problem is, the 48 percent of which you speak have selective outrage. They will criticize the poor man for taking a few hundred dollars a month, yet they will lionize overpaid, unproductive "geniuses" in the banking sector to run the nation's banking system into the ground, and taking trillions of dollars in federal taxpayer money. The money that the bankers cost this country can't be repaid anytime soon.
 
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,263,450 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Is that what Democrats really believe? They mostly work hard at jobs to serve you and your kind, only to hear you say those kinds of things. You don't even try in any least way to understand the actual situation, you simply come up with glib lies about how the workers in the lower half of income are lazy bums who don't want to pay for anything.

Can't you SEE that attitude is why you guys lost? Nobody wants a bunch of lazy rich people looking down on them and insulting them while being waited on hand and foot. People who work at loading trucks or washing dishes work way harder than the vast majority of Republicans.
No, no, you don't get it, republicans think how hard you work is measured on how much you're paid. Lowly manual labor isn't respected, they do not see any value in it and therefore they don't see it as "working hard". Ask them, anyone loading truck or washing dishes is lazy. They confuse motivation with laziness.
 
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Hinckley Ohio
6,722 posts, read 4,263,450 times
Reputation: 1376
I think you're putting too much out there on the extremes.

-10% extreme far right
-20% far right
-15% moderate/pragmatic right
+15% right-leaning moderates

10% left-leaning moderates
+10% moderate/pragmatic left
+10% far left
-10% extreme far left

Still a lean right, 60%-40%, just not weighted to the extreme right like you suggest. I'd actually be slightly right myself.

Why America Keeps Getting More Conservative - Politics - The Atlantic Cities


Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I'm not sure you understood my post. I'm no fan of Fox News or the Republicans right now in general. You might want to check my posting history.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think that "Left" and "Right" line up exactly with Republicans and Democrats. I think that by in large, right leaning viewpoints outnumber left leaning viewpoints. My personal opinion about the breakdown is the following:

20% extreme far right
20% far right
11% moderate/pragmatic right
12% right-leaning moderates
9% left-leaning moderates
8% moderate/pragmatic left
10% far left
10% extreme far left

This uneven breakdown has interesting effects on the two parties. Democrats can't afford to run people with extreme positions because they would never get elected. Generally, however, their coalition is left-leaning, so their successful candidates are going to be in the moderate/pragmatic left range. On the Republican side, however, while an extreme candidate isn't going to be successful, the hardcore extreme far right types can demand that their candidate be at least what would generally be considered "far right" and still have a chance at success. You can have the moderates that might lean right vote Democrat because the alternative is scarier. The Obama/Biden is in the moderate/pragmatic left range, and the Romney/Ryan ticket was in the far right range from what I can tell.

Personally, I think this conundrum describes my positions very well. I'd like what a lot of the moderate conservative positions are selling, but I almost think that the Democrats are selling that better than the Republicans are right now, even if you have to take a little bit more "Great Society" type stuff with the Democrats to avoid the lunacy of Republicans.

Of course, my premise could be entirely wrong, but that's not something anybody would ever want to admit on CD. But I do think that a Republican who is truly in the moderate/pragmatic right range would win if it was ever possible for him or her to be nominated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top