Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,142,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
No, it ain't true! Grandpappy was a man of the cloth and he ministered on people who had the shakes or were just too lazy to get out of bed and do stuff like go to the bathroom or move food to their mouths, telling satan to leave their bodies and stop following the primrose path to hell.

I'll have you know that I am educated; I'm certified to drive a forklift in three states: Alabama, Oklahoma, and East Virginia. Between talking with Purvis and Earl on the loading dock and the wisdom grandpappy passed onto me, I know more than some elitist "doctor" that wasted twelve years at a university learning to be a communist and a welfare mooch.

I'm trying to save your soul. Turn before it's too late. God in all his eternal love is all about accountability. Accountability and punishment. Don't give him a reason to punish you.

Sometimes if I sleep on my stomach at night, the devil takes over my body and I start to shake and convulse, but I'm strong and I say, "No satan! Go away, evil satan! Leave my body be!" and he leaves me by the grace of God. If I can do it, then so can some Miss-Shakey-Pants
Masterful sarcasm! Well done!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Masterful sarcasm! Well done!
D'oh! I got suckered ..... I fell for that one hook line and sinker. Usually I'm pretty good at picking out spoofs ..... I think the reason I didn't this time was because of some problems with my fundie neighbor ranting and raving "in tongues" at the top of his lungs for hours every day. When I've talked with him in the past, he sounds just like 415s2k in that post.

Guess I'll have to pay more attention to who is saying what!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,292,859 times
Unfortunately for America, the majority of Americans now are morons that don't understand what is going on around them. Them vote by skin color, or what they see on TV. We are done.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Purity doesn't count for much if a party can't win elections.
The Republicans of the past were different than they are now, and so are the Democrats. The nation has been center-right for the past 20 years, but the center is shifting toward the left now. While the duration of the swing is unpredictable, it could last for 20 years, just as the last one did.

Issues and attitudes always swing back and forth as our society changes. Nothing ever stays static for very long now, and this is a new century. Clinging to the stuff that worked in the last century will not last much longer, as big changes now occur at an ever faster rate. The result of this fast change is simple: The party that fails to accommodate and adapt to these changes will lose.

That does not mean conservative principles have to be abandoned, but it does mean that conservatives must accept the realities of the changes. Wishing for a return to the past simply sets a losing outcome as a given. Once people change, they don't go back.
Wise words.

Ken

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,889,737 times
Quote:
Purity doesn't count for much if a party can't win elections.
The Republicans of the past were different than they are now, and so are the Democrats. The nation has been center-right for the past 20 years, but the center is shifting toward the left now. While the duration of the swing is unpredictable, it could last for 20 years, just as the last one did.

Issues and attitudes always swing back and forth as our society changes. Nothing ever stays static for very long now, and this is a new century. Clinging to the stuff that worked in the last century will not last much longer, as big changes now occur at an ever faster rate. The result of this fast change is simple: The party that fails to accommodate and adapt to these changes will lose.

That does not mean conservative principles have to be abandoned, but it does mean that conservatives must accept the realities of the changes. Wishing for a return to the past simply sets a losing outcome as a given. Once people change, they don't go back.

Correct, and this includes either adapting to changing demographics or going the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, and this includes either adapting to changing demographics or going the way of the dinosaurs.
the point is that liberal policies pushing these changing demographics are hurting the workers in this country, dragging down wages and working hours, throwing more people onto welfare and food stamps, and slowing down the economy--- and liberals could care less.

i can't figure out whether it is because they lack compassion, don't work, or work for the government.

it's all good, though, and now we will just wait and watch the stock market keep dropping as they "threaten" over the debt ceiling.

same old, same old.

and then there is obamacare, which is going to bring a whole new level of pain to americans.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,852,227 times
to understand the numbers once again, we have 47 million people on food stamps now, with 1 million added in the last year.

we have 12 million people getting unemployment insurance.

25 percent of households make under 25k a year.

transfer payments make up 22 percent of household income.

only 4 percent of families earn over 200k, and only 2 percent earn over 250k.

our debt ceiling is larger than our annual GDP- set to hit a 16.4 trillion limit at the end of this year.

go ahead and tell me things are looking up.

as pointed out in this article, many americans are only one government check away from disaster:

Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
to understand the numbers once again, we have 47 million people on food stamps now, with 1 million added in the last year.

we have 12 million people getting unemployment insurance.
go ahead and tell me things are looking up.
Just taking a moment to look up ONE of those statistics you mention: Considering that that LAST YEAR at this time there were 13.3 million such persons - yeah, things are looking up.

Table A-10. Selected unemployment indicators, seasonally adjusted

Ken

Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
they did not lose. 48% of americans stood up and voted for fiscal responsibility.
52% said no. voted for welfare in some form or fashion.
did u know that 45% of americans work. the rest wait to be fed.
the majority voted for the status quo.
they reelected the man that says he stands for change.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 AM

630 posts, read 1,259,201 times
It really does look like America is becoming more of a center left nation for the foreseeable future and the Republican party will have to adapt to survive. In the 1960s the New Deal coalition collapsed and ushered in a new era of conservatism that influenced politics up until the 1990s. During that period the Democratic party had trouble winning elections, as they were perceived as far left and out of touch with mainstream values. We really only gave the Dems another chance when Bill Clinton, the New Democrat, shifted the party to the right.

However, it looks like Obama and the progressive movements over the past decade have shifted America again slightly to the left. The Republican party won't go away, but they'll have to find a way to appeal to some of the left leaning voters who are ushering in this new political zeitgeist, mainly millennials and minorities. Here's my idea for the GOP.

1) Continue to promote fiscal responsibility, but don't be hypocrites. Admit that your party wasn't serious about it before the Obama era and make a real plan to cut our deficits that puts everything on the table.

2) Promote personal responsibility, but get rid of the racist angle. Stop whining about food stamps, welfare, Obamaphones, and the 47%. Stop pretending that Welfare queens are a bigger drain on our resources than corporate welfare. And for the love of god, stop assuming that minorities voted for Obama because they wanted "gifts"

3) Promote traditional values, but let go of the gay marriage fight. Just admit that it's becoming accepted and adapt.

4) Promote minorities in the party, but not as tokens. Allen West is not a great role model for black Republicans. Promote values that matter to minority communities, don't just have a brown faced person spout off typical GOP dogma.

5) Bipartisanship! Your plot to make Obama a one term president failed, so just work with him the best you can over the next 4 years. Stick to your values, but don't be a stick in the mud. Congressional Republicans tried to bring down Clinton in his second term and it failed miserably. During the Lewinsky proceedings, Clinton enjoyed his highest approval ratings ever, because people were pissed at the GOP for trying to impeach a popular president. If you try to do this again, you'll give Obama even more political capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections